Ignore / Block

AlexWright

So, the Ignore feature is extremely lacking in all of what should probably be essential functionality. Currently, by default, you can only ignore someone's: Forum Posts, Messages, Signatures, and Mentions. While that's great and all, it's an extremely simplistic view of an Ignore/Block function. All major platforms (Facebook, Twitter, etc) have a way to Block and/or Ignore a user account. This hides all of that user's comments and contents and/or blocks them from viewing your content and profile. This is a major oversight in functionality that's missing in the IPS software. Not to mention that the Ignore function misses almost all of the other IPS default applications (Pages, Blogs, Gallery, Downloads, Calendar, Statuses, etc). The entire Ignore function feels like it was just slapped on to solve a singular issue (Forums) and never touched again. What an Ignore / Block function should be able to do:

• Ignore all or some of a user's content.
  • Block a user from contacting you (Blocking messages and mentions).
  • Blocking a user from your profile and content.

Most users prefer Ease of Use with this. If you're blocking someone, you (usually) have a good reason to. The current ignore feature on IPS is basically bare-bones and doesn't really do a great job at what it does. It can definitely be better, and hopefully this can start that.

---

Evidence has been found that William Tell and his family were avid bowlers. However, all the Swiss league records were unfortunately destroyed in a fire, and we'll never know for whom the Tells bowled.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah, I'm fully in agreement too. Especially with topics.
We have had a number of instances where users have found other users so disagreeable that they have felt the need to completely block someone - rather than cause admins hassle. This is responsible of the user but at the present time they find that the ignore feature simply doesn't allow them to ignore the other person - which is what users are expecting will happen when they click to ignore the user's posts. They don't expect to see their topics coming up in the main forum view either.

I can't see how it would be a bad addition - and to be fair I am really surprised that there isn't a hook in the marketplace because in my view it's a feature that is severely lacking from the forum software - and IPB's competitors allow users to ignore fully.

This is something that has been asked for as well on my site.

I would happily pay for a module to do this.

When I used to run a VB site, there was as "SuperIgnore" patch you could add that hide users from absolutely everything but quotes, this is what's needed as the quotes may not be 100% possible.

I'd happily pay $30 for a working module that did this.

6 hours ago, DesertIslandFruits said:

This is something that has been asked for as well on my site.

I would happily pay for a module to do this.

When I used to run a VB site, there was as "SuperIgnore" patch you could add that hide users from absolutely everything but quotes, this is what's needed as the quotes may not be 100% possible.

I'd happily pay $30 for a working module that did this.

Hi. Do you mean to hide everything of ignored members being ignored by the Ipb ignore system, or to hide members being globally ignored from everyone? If the latter, please see my app here:

https://invisioncommunity.com/contributors/files/9644-global-ignore-list-techy-goes-to-coventry-ignored-log/

• 3 weeks later...

I have this same request from a user right now. Please enable!

On 5/9/2020 at 10:01 AM, Miss_B said:

Hi. Do you mean to hide everything of ignored members being ignored by the Ipb ignore system, or to hide members being globally ignored from everyone? If the latter, please see my app here:

https://invisioncommunity.com/contributors/files/9644-global-ignore-list-techy-goes-to-coventry-ignored-log/

@Miss_B does your plugin equate to "Shadow banning"?

11 hours ago, TheWorldNewsMedia.org said:

I have this same request from a user right now. Please enable!

@Miss_B does your plugin equate to "Shadow banning"?

Can you please tell me what do you mean by  "Shadow banning"?

But yes, it does. The posts and topics of globally ignored members will be seen only by themself and staff members or other groups  with the appropriate permissions. 

On 5/31/2020 at 2:45 AM, Miss_B said:

Can you please tell me what do you mean by  "Shadow banning"?

But yes, it does. The posts and topics of globally ignored members will be seen only by themself and staff members or other groups  with the appropriate permissions. 

... and, I would like to add, this is awesome! It only took me 2 seconds to decided to purchase this. Worth every penny!

On 10/24/2019 at 1:58 AM, AlexWright said:

What an Ignore / Block function should be able to do:

• Ignore all or some of a user's content.
  • Block a user from contacting you (Blocking messages and mentions).
  • Blocking a user from your profile and content.

The current ignore feature already does two out of the three things you listed though and has done for a long time:

image.png.0381068c61bbd0c40f0198e753b7913d.png

Ignore posts and mentions: This is all or some of a users content.
Ignore Messages and Mentions: This is "Block a user from contacting you (Blocking messages and mentions)

I agree that the system needs to be overhauled a least somewhat, or improved in someway. But I can't really put my finger on it. 

16 hours ago, Tripp★ said:

The current ignore feature already does two out of the three things you listed though and has done for a long time:

image.png.0381068c61bbd0c40f0198e753b7913d.png

Ignore posts and mentions: This is all or some of a users content.
Ignore Messages and Mentions: This is "Block a user from contacting you (Blocking messages and mentions)

I agree that the system needs to be overhauled a least somewhat, or improved in someway. But I can't really put my finger on it. 

Except it doesn't. Posts is only for forums. It does not block any other Community application, such as Blogs, Pages, Calendar, etc. Having the option to block/ignore whole and outright an entire account is crucial. If we aren't going to see this in 4.5, I'll be looking for a 3rd party solution.

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2020 at 3:16 PM, breatheheavy said:

NGL, I get people asking me daily if there's a "block" feature. I would love to implement this somehow. If a user wants another user to not be able to downvote them / stop seeing their posts / threads / profile at all, they block them and voila. 🙏 

This 1000x this. And it has to work for All content. Not just forum content.

Edited by AlexWright

• 1 month later...

I'm desperate for this feature.  I have a community that's moving over from Facebook and it's a contentious crew.  Many have other members blocked for various reasons on Facebook and are frantic because there is no block feature for the forum.

I will happily pay for an app.... though I don't understand why IPS can't seem to put this feature into the software already!

• 1 year later...

Invision, we really need this feature. Politics (Trump/Biden, World Russia, Ukraine) are basically killing any community abilities on my site. I feel like half the site is ready to just up and leave so they don't have to deal with it.

I know its possible because I have used vBulletin forums in the early 2000's that had the feature.

I don't understand why this hasn't been done already. Makes no sense.

• 1 month later...

Okay, yeah and the fact that ignored users posts still appear in activity feeds too. This is a very basic and not really functional way of doing it. 

I +1 to this system requiring an overhaul. IPS has worked on moderation techniques, and warning messages before posting and what not, but I'd also like to this system upgraded to give it the teeth that is required to operate. 

• 1 month later...

Fun fact; apparently if you block someone from sending you messages, they can actually still do it in conversations that are still open. Did anyone else know about this? 

The whole system at this point is a joke on my site. Invision bark on about "Community Moderation" and giving tools to stop toxicity, and then we have this flaccid feature that does effectively nothing. As a member of staff now, @breatheheavy can you ask someone to take a look into this, please? Surely your community is still facing the problems that we all are. 

At least take the "this person replied to you but you hid them" Away, most posters don't want to see a poster if they ignored them.

I am not kidding when I say as an owner of a website with One point five MILLION plus posts I know how to a moderate a website. Some topics just can't be let go (Politics, religion etc) by posters and besides that they are model members of the forums. I can't ban everyone which is the only option a no Ignore system leaves me. That sucks. Step up your game Invision.

Edited by BradSmith

On 7/9/2022 at 2:29 AM, BradSmith said:

At least take the "this person replied to you but you hid them" Away, most posters don't want to see a poster if they ignored them.

This can be done with a basic template edit. But an option would be nice.

• 2 months later...
On 7/12/2022 at 5:01 PM, BradSmith said:

I did hide the comment CSS manually...but honestly? Lol

I did say an option would be nice, I was just merely stating a fact.

6 minutes ago, BakuEdi said:

Hi,

Can you please tell us in details what you did to implement on forum block like on FB?

Eh? I didn't. You either misread that entirely or you're asking the wrong person. I've not got the foggiest what you're talking about.