Ignore / Block

AlexWright

Just now, Tripp★ said:

I did say an option would be nice, I was just merely stating a fact.

Eh? I didn't. You either misread that entirely or you're asking the wrong person. I've not got the foggiest what you're talking about.

Sorry, then ))

I thought you found a solution by editing some templates )))

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, BradSmith said:

Invision, is there a way to have a community fund effort to get this feature added to cover your costs?

@Matt @Jordan Miller

If you're willing to pay for this sort of feature, it might be worth reaching out to a 3rd party resource developer to see about having them create this sort of functionality for you.  

https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers/

From what has been said by folks on the development team on a different issue is not about trying to raise money for a specific feature...  but instead about juggling a number of other competing interests.  It's more of an issue of time and then making sure the feature fits into the long term plan/strategy for the software.  

7 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

If you're willing to pay for this sort of feature, it might be worth reaching out to a 3rd party resource developer to see about having them create this sort of functionality for you.  

From what has been said by folks on the development team on a different issue is not about trying to raise money for a specific feature...  but instead about juggling a number of other competing interests.  It's more of an issue of time and then making sure the feature fits into the long term plan/strategy for the software.  

I appreciate the reply,I was hoping to have something in their core module so I don't have to worry about it again.

Is there a way to put in a request on the third party that I dont see? Kind of like Fiverr were soliciting requests?

1 hour ago, BradSmith said:

I appreciate the reply,I was hoping to have something in their core module so I don't have to worry about it again.

Is there a way to put in a request on the third party that I dont see? Kind of like Fiverr were soliciting requests?

Once you click on a provider's name (be sure it says "Available for hire") and it opens a new page with their profile there is a Contact me button under their photo. Some buttons will simply open a new PM, others will redirect to an external site. It depends on how the user setup their contact information. 👍

• 4 months later...
On 10/20/2022 at 6:39 AM, Randy Calvert said:

I appreciate your effort to assist, but incorporating another application or plugin that needs maintenance between updates can become a tedious task, and become yet another application/plugin that should be a core feature. What surprises me is that a vital feature such as moderation, which was heralded to be enhanced, still lacks the necessary functionality when it comes to moderation at it's lowest level - user to user blocking. It's perplexing that the activity feeds still display the statuses of users who have been blocked, indicating that this feature hasn't been updated or taken into account during the ongoing updates. Or the fact that blocked users can still send you private messages if you have an already existing message open with them, which I have no explanation for what-so-ever.

Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but there has been no response from the staff regarding this matter. The fact that there hasn't even been a simple acknowledgment that no changes will be made. Effectively, I kind of feel like we're being ignored... Which is ironic. 

The issue is being overlooked despite being one of the core features of the platform. It's a little frustrating to witness the lack of attention to this issue, especially when IPS has been emphasising the need for better moderation tools in their updates around the end of 2022. 

It’s not a “you” thing or intentionally ignoring you. Staff GENERALLY don’t comment on most feature suggestions. (Scroll though this forum and read some if you don’t want to take my word.)

They do look here, read everything and get inspiration and take down trends with the types of requests. 

They might chime in from time to time here, but don’t expect to see them responding here like in the main support forum where they’ll address every single thread. 

1 minute ago, Randy Calvert said:

It’s not a “you” thing or intentionally ignoring you. Staff GENERALLY don’t comment on most feature suggestions. (Scroll though this forum and read some if you don’t want to take my word.)

They do look here, read everything and get inspiration and take down trends with the types of requests. 

They might chime in from time to time here, but don’t expect to see them responding here like in the main support forum where they’ll address every single thread. 

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was accusing the staff of ignoring me. I didn't mean to imply that. What I said was meant as a light-hearted remark or a joke. It wasn't my intention to suggest that anyone was intentionally disregarding our concerns.

To provide some context, we have a serious problem with harassers and stalkers on our site. Unfortunately, these issues can be difficult to deal with under our current Terms of Service, and many users rely on the blocking feature as a means of protecting themselves. It's concerning that some users have left our site because they feel unsafe due to the limitations of our blocking system. We need a robust and effective blocking feature to empower our users to feel safe online.

Considering that this feature is a core part of IPS, it's astonishingly inadequate in its current state. It fails so miserably at its intended purpose that it's difficult to even refer to it as an "ignore" feature. Ignored posts still show up in the activity feed, or that people can still send private messages if they have one open renders the feature to near pointless-useless.

Frankly, no amount of semantic acrobatics can convince me otherwise. The current state of this feature is unacceptable and it's a disgrace that a community-focused software lacks such a critical feature. It's simply not fit for purpose, and it's frustrating to see how little attention has been paid to it.

• 6 months later...

Throwing my hat in here to support this feature request - there absolutely needs to be a more robust Ignore and Block functionality in V5. It's a critical tool to allow community members to keep themselves safe from other users they do not get along with.

There needs to be:

- A 'block' function on the member level, which works on a user's entire content and presence, in much the way the OP described;

- An 'Ignore Content' function that works on the Topics/Pages/Events/etc level, that works to prevent any posts/updates to content from appearing on user Activity Streams or Content Blocks of any kind (both custom made ones and global - there needs to be no additional lift for the end user for this to be effective - i.e. we can not expect a user to click 'Ignore Topic' and then also create a new Activity Stream with some 'avoid ignored content' filter).

If IPS is serious as they say they are about putting more focus in community-building in V5, then this is a must-have feature.