Attachment icons in forum view?

AtariAge

Invision 3.4.x had an attachment icon displayed to the left of topics that had one or more attachments.  If you clicked on the icon, you'd get a nice popup that would display all the attachments in the thread.  You could even open this link in a new window to more easily see everything.  Is this completely missing from Invision 4.x?  I just moved my forum from 3.x to 4.x, and my members are wondering what happened to this, as am I.  My forum is very attachment heavy (lots of images in threads, and lots of software development whose threads typically have many attachments), so it's disappointing if this has been removed.

If this is missing, has anyone written a plugin to restore this functionality?  I'd gladly pay for such a plugin if it exists.  I did search in the Marketplace but didn't see anything jump out at me (I searched for "attachment").

Thanks,

..Al

Some things that can help:

1. You can now hover over topics to view the first and latest unread post.  It's a fast and easy way of getting a sneak peek.  

2. There is a Marketplace mod that shows a block for topic attachments once you enter the topic.  

Neither of those are really substitutes for what I'm looking for.  The popup displaying the first and last post doesn't have any relevance to what I asked for.  The Topic Attachments mod isn't that useful, either, as it doesn't show a nice list of attachments that you can quickly browse. It just places them in a widget with a limited view of the attachments.  Longer threads on my forum can have a ton of attachments, so such a thing would be unwieldy. 

I'll take your response that this functionality was completely removed from the software as of 4.0.  😞

..Al

Yes, this was a fairly antiquated feature that most users didn't have much use for, so we put our efforts and energies elsewhere.

It is important to remember - version 4 is not simply a clone of version 3, or version 3 with new features added. It is an entirely new product and while many (most) functionality from version 3 is present in version 4, there will be some differences here and there.

I don't agree with you about it being an "antiquated feature".  Yes, it may have been in the forum for quite some time (no idea when it was originally implemented), but it's still quite useful.  Heck, as an example, Facebook Messenger gives you a nice list of attachments that have been shared in a conversation, making it much easier to find specific attachments rather than having to scroll through a ton of messages.  There's also a pane to see all shared photos in the same vein, also useful.  And I wouldn't call Facebook Messenger "antiquated", as it's much newer than Invision's forum software.

I do understand that version 4 was written from the ground up, and I can certainly appreciate that as a developer myself. I just question some (not many) of the decisions made to excise (in this case) or radically change some features (Messenger). 

I do look forward to learning the frameworks so I can reimplement some of these missing features and offer them to others as well, where such third-party plugins don't already exist.

..Al

I can rephrase - I think this may be the very first time this has come up in the 4.x series beyond the very very initial reveal of 4.x where everyone was naturally side-by-side comparing 3.4 to 4.0. At the end of the day, it's not something the majority of our clients cared about, but added an extra icon that most end users had idea what it was even for to a common view.

I can appreciate that.  It's still something I'd like to add back to my forum, though, as I do feel it's useful on an attachment-heavy forum.  Also, when you're running a forum that's nearly 20 years old (15 of those years on IP.Board), people very much notice when a feature like this is removed.

..Al

On 6/26/2019 at 1:57 AM, AtariAge said:

Invision 3.4.x had an attachment icon displayed to the left of topics that had one or more attachments.

As far as I remember, the attachment icon was removed much earlier in 3.2.x, that's why there was an unofficial hook to restore the function (Attachment Icon).

19 minutes ago, Luuuk said:

As far as I remember, the attachment icon was removed much earlier in 3.2.x, that's why there was an unofficial hook to restore the function (Attachment Icon).

I'll have to take a look on my 3.4.8 forum to see if I installed a hook for that functionality. I thought it was still built-in until the end of the 3.x series, but I could be wrong. 

..Al

9 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Made a plugin this week to AtariAge:

Thanks, you did a great job on this!

..Al

Man I really hate merges replies. 

Archived