Community Guide on Setting Up Wasabi and CloudFlare

No, there is no support for pre-processing files uploaded to Wasabi.

It would be possible doing this on the IPS side of things though. Should just be a matter of hooking into \IPS\File\Amazon::makeRequest(), and do your things if $verb is "PUT", and the $uri have an image extension.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 8:35 AM, Joel R said:

As an update to this topic:

• If you are changing your CDN URL (and you most likely are, since one of the biggest benefits is to switch away from a paid service like Amazon Cloudfront and move to free Cloudflare), you may need to revert "attachImages" template.  Mine contained the prior CDN URL hardcoded into the template; reverting it will update the URL.  
  • I still haven't passed one full billing cycle, but I'm projected to lower my storage + cdn costs from $92/ mo to $6 / mo.  For reference purposes, my community contains 400 GB of storage and 1400 GB / mo of bandwidth.  

Joel, was this mostly to save cost or have you seen any performance difference? 

We have our own server and some 7TB of images. We are on the cloudflare business plan so a lot of our content is already cached. The only benefit I could see would be that say europe based user hitting some "old" content which is not cached in Cloudflare would have to get the content from west coast USA. Would there be any additional benefit I am missing? 

It was primarily a cost reduction move for storage + bandwidth compared to AWA.  I'm saving ~$80 mo, which comes out to a thousand dollars per year.  That's not an insignificant amount of money.  Amazon S3 is very expensive on egress bandwidth (the storage is cheap, the bandwidth is where they get you); Wasabi is free egress.  

If you're already on Cloudflare, you probably won't see a performance improvement.  

(On a further note, if anyone is considering Wasabi, I highly do not recommend US-EAST-1.  There experiencing considerable growth pains on that server).  They don't have enough throughput capacity, so their get and put are both degraded. Their other locations are probably fine.  

Due to recent rapid growth, we are currently experiencing unforeseen data throughput capacity issues in our us-east-1 data center.

In order to meet the needs of our customers, we are deploying an additional us-east data center (us-east-2) that is planned for operation by 1 October 2019.  

We are also taking steps to improve throughput capacity in us-east-1.  

We do have available throughput capacity in our us-west and eu-central data centers (if those locations are options for your storage use case).  

15 hours ago, Joel R said:

It was primarily a cost reduction move for storage + bandwidth compared to AWA.  I'm saving ~$80 mo, which comes out to a thousand dollars per year.  That's not an insignificant amount of money.  Amazon S3 is very expensive on egress bandwidth (the storage is cheap, the bandwidth is where they get you); Wasabi is free egress.  

If you're already on Cloudflare, you probably won't see a performance improvement.  

(On a further note, if anyone is considering Wasabi, I highly do not recommend US-EAST-1.  There experiencing considerable growth pains on that server).  They don't have enough throughput capacity, so their get and put are both degraded. Their other locations are probably fine.  

Ok thanks for the info. I guess if we ever decide to not own our own servers we can look into this solution, at this point it would not make a difference in our costs. Thanks. 

• 1 month later...

This still works?

Im getting the following error: 

There appears to be a problem with your Amazon (my.bucked.com) file storage settings which can cause problems with uploads. After attempting to upload a file to the directory, the URL to the file is returning a HTTP 403 error. Update your settings and then check and see if the problem has been resolved

Edited by Dolphin.

25 minutes ago, Dolphin. said:

Yea, but there is nothing much to do wrong 😄 

Okay whatever, thanks

Did you name your bucket the same as your CNAME, if you chose that option? Is the endpoint URL correct for your bucket location? 

There IS something that can be done wrong, you probably did one of them since it's not working for you.

41 minutes ago, Martin A. said:

Did you name your bucket the same as your CNAME, if you chose that option? Is the endpoint URL correct for your bucket location? 

There IS something that can be done wrong, you probably did one of them since it's not working for you.

I just now tested on localhost and it works, but not working on live website, crap 😑

• 4 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity , how long should or could a transfer of only about 20GB take ? Would we be talking days or hours ?

Reason im asking is it seems to be done with everything else except the Attachments.

I installed the Plugin that was in the first post too.

Thanks for any response.

good.thumb.jpg.9450e3a1b3dcc77076d76e2aad4c6f08.jpg

also Cloudflare asked me to change the records from what i had them set to , is this correct . Im asking because i dont see any mention of that in the guide.

Thanks

Edited by Wicked007

@diyatv

Nothing changed. It works.

Just out of curiosity , how long should or could a transfer of only about 20GB take ? Would we be talking days or hours ?

It depends from your network speed but it should get minutes/hours and not days.

• 1 month later...

So I have gotten everything set-up fully. However, I am running in to an issue when I put my sub-domain in to the configuration. I am receiving a 526 SSL error from Cloudflare because of the SSL mismatch. I tried changing to Full as previously suggested. However, this doesn't seem to resolve the issue. If I configure my storage without the custom domain everything works perfect. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this and has any other ideas on what I can try?

Editing my second update- I'm testing with the following: https://usawxcdn.usa-wx.com.s3.us-east-2.wasabisys.com/

When I try to access it in Chrome I get an invalid SSL error. It looks like it's because it needs multi-level SSL?

When I try: https://usawxcdn.s3.us-east-2.wasabisys.com/ it returns clean

When I then add it to Cloudflare as https://usawxcdn.usa-wx.com/ I get a 526 error. 

Edited by thetrials

Here's my latest update on how I got everything figured out: 

1. Utilizing the set-up I referenced above for the usawxcdn, I had to wait about 10 minutes and then Cloudflare seemed to kick in with its SSL certificate.

2. The fix re. Full vs. Strict SSL enforcement on Cloudflare did work as well. However, I had to first switch the setting off and then switch it to Full. It didn't seem to take until I did that.

With all that said, I have everything working as expected. Thanks to all for the tips in this thread, all the information together helped me to get this up and urnning. 

3 hours ago, ASTRAPI said:

Yes Cloudflare needs some time to enable the certificate. They have a status indicator and usually is around 10 minutes ...

Also setting the ssl to Full is needed !

Happy new year 🙂

Sometimes having patience is helpful. Unfortunately I prefer instant gratification...

Next up figuring out why my AWS to Wasabi migration for attachments is hung at 23% for the last 12 hours...

Happy new year to you as well. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 1:23 PM, ASTRAPI said:

cname -> cdn -> cdn.yourdomain.com.s3.wasabisys.com  <--For US-EAST datacenter

They added a US-East 2 datacenter and you can no longer use the first one.  Does this remain the same?

Please ignore, I figured it out.  Everything is working so far outside of the ssl cert error.  Doing @thetrials recommendations.

Edited by ahc