Community Guide on Setting Up Wasabi and CloudFlare

I've followed these steps, great guide thank-you

The images have moved over okay but I'm having issues with it getting to display the images though and I think it's because of the Cloudflare step, do I have to add something to my DNS records on my domain? Surely just doing that Cloudflare step in the guide is not enough (for someone who has not used Cloudflare before)?

Thanks,
Nick.

Edited by jpointer2_merged

21 hours ago, ASTRAPI said:

Hello

Yes you will need a dns record at Cloudflare.

You must follow all steps in the tutorial to make it work.

please check them again...

I've done all the steps but for the CNAME at cloudflare surely I need to add cloudflare to my existing domain DNS records too? Or it's not doing anything, there is no step for this, I'm guessing this is assuming people already have cloudflare?

2 hours ago, ASTRAPI said:

The tutorial is for using Cloudflare also so you can benefit wit the partner agreement between Wasabi and Cloudflare for unlimited traffic between them and benefit also from the usage of Cloudflare CDN....

Ah okay, so I don't have cloudflare setup for anything else. I have seen I need to change my name servers:

20200216_221220.thumb.jpg.1027ee7b2246d10194dcdbad10afa4da.jpg

But then I guess this isn't all I need to do for my forum to function,

Is there a guide for this part?

Thanks for you help.

Yes you just need to follow the instructions from Cloudflare ... just change your Nameservers to the ones that Cloudflare recommends you and in a few minutes you will see your domain as an Active...

Remember at your ssl settings it will be good to select the Full SSL option.

Then you can edit/add your dns settings...

Cloudflare should auto detect your existing domain DNS records but it will be good to double check them also...

Edited by ASTRAPI

14 hours ago, ASTRAPI said:

Yes you just need to follow the instructions from Cloudflare ... just change your Nameservers to the ones that Cloudflare recommends you and in a few minutes you will see your domain as an Active...

Remember at your ssl settings it will be good to select the Full SSL option.

Then you can edit/add your dns settings...

Cloudflare should auto detect your existing domain DNS records but it will be good to double check them also...

Woohoo! It works, thanks so much @ASTRAPI

I have 20gb of uploads to move across now, am I okay doing this by switching the filesystem in my IPS dash? Roughly how long could it take?

Looks like I spoke too soon, overnight it has got to 31% and appears to be stuck, I can't see anything obvious. I tried running the background processes "now" but this just returns a blank page after doing the infinite loading circle for a while. Not really sure how to diagnose it?

UPDATE: I fixed this by increasing the PHP memory limit.

I have a question about old files. Now that these have moved to a CDN, I assume all the links will be broken if they have used them on other sites (now that it's cdn.domain). Does this require a .htaccess edit to fix external broken links to the old path?

or do you not worry about it?

• 1 month later...

@ASTRAPI I have setup cloudflare cname, opened a paid account at wasabi account, created a bucket and access keys but when i enter info in ips I get this error:

There appears to be a problem with your Amazon (cdn.mysite.ca) file storage settings which can cause problems with uploads.
After attempting to upload a file to the directory, the URL to the file is returning a HTTP 403 error. Update your settings and then check and see if the problem has been resolved

Any ideas what is causing this?

Hello

This is a storage solution and not direct related with your hosting provider or the control panel that you use.

Please re check the main topic....

Some of the advantages are:

1)Very cheap storage hosting... around 5$ per 1TB

2)Cloud infrastructure that should be more stable

3)No maintenance from your side

4) You can benefit from the partnership with Cloudflare that they have as all your files will move from Wasabi to Cloudflare and from there to your users for free....

5)You can scale easily... need another TB ? No problem you can grow without having to adjust anything....

e.t.c

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 11:16 AM, ASTRAPI said:

Hello

This is a storage solution and not direct related with your hosting provider or the control panel that you use.

Please re check the main topic....

Some of the advantages are:

1)Very cheap storage hosting... around 5$ per 1TB

2)Cloud infrastructure that should be more stable

3)No maintenance from your side

4) You can benefit from the partnership with Cloudflare that they have as all your files will move from Wasabi to Cloudflare and from there to your users for free....

5)You can scale easily... need another TB ? No problem you can grow without having to adjust anything....

e.t.c

I have unlimited resources on a shared cloud server on hostgator and the prices are pretty damn reasonable as it is. Plus I'm so accustomed to them managing the server as well as me having access to cpanel etc... moving to these cloud services seems so complicated.

Any tips/guides/sites you'd personally recommend that walk you through the process of going from a shared web-host like cpanel over to something like Wasabi/AWS?

13 minutes ago, CSSlife said:

I have unlimited resources on a shared cloud server on hostgator and the prices are pretty damn reasonable as it is. Plus I'm so accustomed to them managing the server as well as me having access to cpanel etc... moving to these cloud services seems so complicated.

Any tips/guides/sites you'd personally recommend that walk you through the process of going from a shared web-host like cpanel over to something like Wasabi/AWS?

Wasabi is NOT for hosting a website, it is for files that are part of the website.

4 hours ago, CSSlife said:

Ah, well that makes a bunch more sense now... in that case I'm very interested! Thanks

Wasabi is a storage provider.  It's really only necessary if you've outgrown the storage on your server, and meant for the storage of several hundred gigabytes (or terabytes) worth of forum attachments, media files, images, etc.  

I wanted to provide some feedback for anyone interested in Wasabi since we've been using it for two billing cycles now.

In the beginning I was afraid of the switch because hearing something is not directly supported by Invision with a built-in feature specifically for it is a bit scary.  Before my community switched to self-hosting with this software in 2017, all of my experience was using hosting websites that did most of the work for you, and I was like a fish out of water learning everything about web development on the fly. 

I'm not going to lie and say this was easy as pie to set up for me because I did experience some issues that were not applicable at the time the guide was written, however, it is not hard either and I was able to solve things with quick troubleshooting in Wasabi documentation.  I have a large community, so it took about 3-4 days for the switch to be fully complete working overtime, and we did have some content loss.  I'm still not sure what went wrong, but the attachment folders did not transfer over correctly and a good majority of them were shot into the void somewhere.  It took us about a month to get most important things updated with new attachments, but we still occasionally find ourselves coming across a page or article that has some broken ones.  This is not an issue with Wasabi, this is an issue with either Invision or human error during the transfer.

Regardless, I would do it all over again anyway, because this not only works the same as if you had S3 with Amazon, the amount of money we have saved is so drastic that it's hard to believe Wasabi is capable of providing this service at such a low cost.  The pricing is as advertised at 5.99 per TB of storage.  There are no hidden or surprise fees at the end of the month and so far our bills have never been over $18.  (We store everything except theme based resources on Wasabi.)  The cost breakdown in your control panel is very easy to understand what you're being charged for and what is free.  The same storage for us on Amazon cost roughly $5-7 a day, sometimes more depending on how many requests came in.  The requests are really what dig a hole in your pocket.  We are an art based website, so we were being charged out the hoo-hah for everything no matter where we tried looking for storage, and keeping it on our main server was completely out of the question.

We did experience service failure once a few days ago where requests to pull images from Wasabi were being met with time-out and write permission errors, but I also am aware that Wasabi is growing quite fast right now due to word of mouth and they are trying their best to increase their resources to keep up with the growth.  I'm not worried about having to potentially switch again anytime in the foreseeable future.

We are an established community with a steady income, so I can only imagine how helpful this would be to small communities ran by hobbiest leaders out-of-pocket if you get to a point where you outgrow your server resources.  I imagine that 5.99/m price is what a lot of people will only end up paying for a while.

Edited by ahc

• 1 month later...

hi @ASTRAPI, thank you so much for this guide! One thing I was a little confused about was does Wasabi allow me to serve content directly? Like if I upload 100 pictures to Wasabi, can I link to them from my site, Twitter, etc for anyone in the world to see? Is it basically just a server, but for static content?