Chat apps difference

kmk

I recent bouth chatapp, then I see there is Chatbox Plus too, anyone can share about them which is better in different aspects?

If I am not wrong,

Chatapp is more powerfull?

Chatbox is more fancy?

Or what are the differentces I should to know?

There are even 3 apps for Chat right now:

1. https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9316-chat-application/
  2. https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9342-bim-chatbox/
  3. https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8217-babble-real-time-chat/

I am also interested in testing all of them to figure out the difference. @CodingJungle, @TheJackal84, @onlyME, can you provide demo accounts for testing purposes to be able to compare alle features including ACP settings?

This is easy.

Chat app is not real time, and can be use with clubs. Plus you can make more then one chat rooms and place them any were now. Lower cost because it's not real time.

Chatbox is easy and you can only make one chat room. It's limited. Best of all it's free.

Babble is real time chat, you can use it any were. Make your own chat rooms and place them any where. At higher cost because it's real time.  

2 minutes ago, mrbowers said:

Chat app is not real time, and can be use with clubs. Plus you can make more then one chat rooms and place them any were now. Lower cost because it's not real time.

Chat app is real time

Real-time chat is virtually any online communication that provides a real-time or live transmission of text messages from sender to receiver. A variety of software programs are available to enable real-time chat between individuals using Internet services.

Real-time chat can be any direct text-based or video-based (using webcams) one-to-one chat or one-to-many group chats by means of tools like instant messengers (IMs), talkers, Internet Relay Chat (IRC) and multi-user dungeons (MUDs).

it don't do 1 on 1 though like cometchat etc

AJAX is short of asynchronous JavaScript and XML. Using AJAX, the browser (client) sends data to and retrieves it from a web server in the background. A chat based on AJAX queries the web server at intervals in order to receive new chat messages. No special requirements, AJAX can be used on any shared hosting account.

WebSocket is a protocol, that provides full-duplex communication channel. In a chat based on websockets, the websocket server transmits the chat messages to the clients instantly, in realtime. To run a websocket chat, a websocket server is required (any modern browser is a websocket client) and you need a dedicated server or VPS with root privileges in order to install a websocket server. Shared hosting accounts can't be used.

This is my understanding of this topic. 

6 minutes ago, mrbowers said:

This is my understanding of this topic. 

So, no of the the chats listed above are real-time-chats when using this definition. This is common for them. I would like to know the difference especially the features offered in ACP.

7 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

So, no of the the chats listed above are real-time-chats when using this definition. This is common for them. I would like to know the difference especially the features offered in ACP.

babble uses websockets, hence why you need the chat service or when it was available on the self hosted access to a node.js server. 

1 minute ago, mrbowers said:

Babble uses "WebSocket is a protocol"

I would pick chat-application hands down everytime. Because of how fast jack can build features in to this app. He sees what people want for features and can do it. He also responses very fast for support. Other apps makers will add more over time but it's just that.  

really boils down to what is feasible, what customers want and what is best for everyone. its not as clear cut just what a few are wanting and implementing sweeping changes. I've ran into that issue with babble, where i spent a lot of time and effort introducing features that i thought people wanted, only for the features not to be used or new/different features to be added or completely misunderstood (like when i added in anonymous users, people were complaining about ghost being in the chat, people who wouldn't show up in the online list, but would be there. AKA "lurkers"). 

58 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

There are even 3 apps for Chat right now:

1. https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9316-chat-application/
  2. https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9342-bim-chatbox/
  3. https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8217-babble-real-time-chat/

I am also interested in testing all of them to figure out the difference. @CodingJungle, @TheJackal84, @onlyME, can you provide demo accounts for testing purposes to be able to compare alle features including ACP settings?

i offer a on site demo for 10 days for the chat service. it will be identical to the real thing, its access to the service just ends in 10 days. 

Just now, mrbowers said:

Holy faeces your alive? haha.

i am, but been extremely busy with the day job, have i ignored any pm's form you? if so, it wasn't intentional 🙂 if you want, i'm off this next week, you can send me a PM. i will be trying to catch up with everything tomorrow 🙂 

No it's all good codingjungle. You have not ignored any pm that I'm not sure of maybe 😕. lol

"best thing to do with a file in doubt is to check the files reviews, check the support topics for the dev's support and if they listed to requests, check the update logs of the file and see if it is only bug updates or request / new feature updates and you will see the sort of dev you are investing in, cheap is not always cheap."

Just now, mrbowers said:

No it's all good codingjungle. You have not ignored any pm that I'm not sure of maybe 😕. lol

started a new job at the beginning of the month, i should say, started a new business. everything was a mess, rushing to get everything running smoothly.

i don't want to hijack the thread here, but i'll be around for a bit longer, if any one has any questions about babble, i'll be here https://codingjungle.com/babble/ to answer any questions about the chat while in the chat 🙂 

hmm i was gonna add a video showing babble's real time chat feature, but it seems to have disappeared from my youtube channel...what is up with that?

8 minutes ago, mrbowers said:

"best thing to do with a file in doubt is to check the files reviews, check the support topics for the dev's support and if they listed to requests, check the update logs of the file and see if it is only bug updates or request / new feature updates and you will see the sort of dev you are investing in, cheap is not always cheap."

This is not so easy. I have bought some apps that have a lot of bugs. I have contacted the developers and they corrected some of the bugs and ignored others. The support of the apps in question is alive and there are regular bugfixes for them. However I would not buy them again. I have spent a lot of time to explain the bugs, provide access to my test server, test the bugfixes. However at the end of the day I do not use these apps on my project as I am still not satisfied with its quality. 

4 hours ago, Sonya* said:

I have spent a lot of time to explain the bugs,

Yes, as customer want an app more mature possible, and not a tester then lost time to focus on implementing in production. Maybe this is common problem because ips developers community is not team work bussiness... 

10 minutes ago, kmk said:

I like how easy is the guest take a name and start to chat. 

@Makoto how about implement rocket.chat in IPS? 

Unfortunately I don't use rocket.chat myself, but if there is really high demand for rocket.chat I will consider adding it to my list of future projects!

I use both @TheJackal84 https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9316-chat-application/ and @onlyME https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9342-bim-chatbox/

Both devs are on top of any bug fixes if they are needed and both of these chats work just fine. 

I won't say which I prefer, I have couple sites and since both are paid for I will use both. I will say this though, I haven't really used items from @TheJackal84 as most of his  add ons I do not need but Chatbox+ wasn't an option when I bought his chat. It works very well and you won't be disappointed with it.

Had @onlyME had Chatbox+ available at the moment I was looking I would have went with it solely due to using Chatbox Free for so long without issue and I do have other stuff from this dev so confidence is high here. 

Both work great, you won't be disappointed with either, however on a side note if you are using @onlyME VideoBox app then Chatbox+ is the one to go with because it has a bot which works with VideoBox

I have no knowledge of @Makoto new chat so no comment about it

@CodingJungle Babble - I bought the full version what seems like a long time ago, my fault for not reading it thoroughly and finding out it would not work with CIC sites. Later when a different version came out which I think does work with CIC I asked for a 10 day trial with no reply.

6 hours ago, JustHatched said:

@CodingJungle Babble - I bought the full version what seems like a long time ago, my fault for not reading it thoroughly and finding out it would not work with CIC sites. Later when a different version came out which I think does work with CIC I asked for a 10 day trial with no reply.

sorry i missed you, went back and looked you up. that day you sent your request, i received several. if you are still interested in a trial, i can generate you one. 

7 hours ago, kmk said:

I like how easy is the guest take a name and start to chat. 

@Makoto how about implement rocket.chat in IPS? 

send me a PM i can tell you what settings you need to setup in rocket.chat to use IPS OAUTH with it and how to embed it in a Pages Page. it wont have a full on integration with IPS, but the api is very expansive and some one could easily build one. so if you are interested in running a rocket.chat with cross login with IPS, let me know. i'll dig up all the settings, its pretty easy. 

18 hours ago, CodingJungle said:

sorry i missed you, went back and looked you up. that day you sent your request, i received several. if you are still interested in a trial, i can generate you one. 

While I appreciate the offer I will decline. As I am already using 2 of the other options I do not need to use Babble. However I am sure Babble works just fine, I know many use it and it's been out for awhile.

Archived