(NE) HTML5 Audio/Video Player

v2.1.3 has been submitted for approval

• FIXES
    • tweaks to Javascript functionality to remove a conflict with the user's group formatting, if the formatting included " marks and not ' marks. (this issue then resulted in a failure for further javascript to run on that page, potentially hiding announcements set to float at the top of the page)
    • minor code tweaks to improve performance with a fix previously added in v2.1.2
  • CHANGES
    • None
  • NEW
    • None
Edited by Nathan Explosion

FYI - with the release of IPS Community Suite v4.6.8, audio files attached to content items will now display an audio player automatically in the same way as video attachments display a video player.

I have not yet tested out the first beta of v4.6.8 to see how it affects this application and how this application affects the new functionality. If any changes are needed in my application then they will be made in my own time once I've tested things out, and likely not while the beta process is going on for this new release.

If you choose to upgrade to the beta of v4.6.8 and experience any issues, feel free to post the issue in here but do not expect a quick turnaround on a fix.

• 1 month later...

Stupid question incoming but....

Just out of curiosity, does this change all of the media players on the site it's installed on into a HTML5 player? Just curious since it would be nice if the changes went to my videos that are uploaded to the videobox app I have on my site.

9 hours ago, MikuruX said:

does this change all of the media players on the site it's installed on into a HTML5 player?

The only player it has any effect on is the default players displayed for attachments uploaded - that is default IPS behaviour, and this app makes some slight modifications.

I would expect it to have no effect on players added through other 3rd party means.

3 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

The only player it has any effect on is the default players displayed for attachments uploaded - that is default IPS behaviour, and this app makes some slight modifications.

I would expect it to have no effect on players added through other 3rd party means.

Hmmm....I guess that's understandable. I'll give it a go, see what happens, and report on my findings. If the players that are used on my site videobox are the universal default player on my site, chances are it might change to the HTML5 player which is a win in my case. I'll let ya know.

8 minutes ago, MikuruX said:

Hmmm....I guess that's understandable. I'll give it a go, see what happens, and report on my findings. If the players that are used on my site videobox are the universal default player on my site, chances are it might change to the HTML5 player which is a win in my case. I'll let ya know.

As my application is designed to work with IPS functionality only, and is unaware of 3rd party applications, then you'll see no difference as the functionality of my application won't run.

I also don't see your name as purchaser of the application - I would advise you NOT to purchase this if your intention is to have it applied to 3rd party applications, as that functionality will not be there.

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, abobader said:

Locally attached

This application hasn't been responsible for displaying a player since IPS 4.3 came out - that is when IPS added their own support for adding a player for uploaded and supported videos. Can't remember if I may have something in there that adds support for video extensions that IPS doesn't support natively - but the ones they (IPS) support are:

'mp4', '3gp', 'mov', 'ogg', 'ogv', 'mpg', 'mpeg', 'flv', 'webm', 'wmv', 'avi', 'm4v'

I will take a look for you to see IF my application is doing something that it shouldn't be doing - provide me with a link to a post etc on your site which contains an uploaded MOV or FLV file, please (if it isn't guest viewable, then send me somelogin credentials via PM)

@abobader Thanks for the login details.

I suggest that you disable my application (which I've done) and access that test post of yours again, as the issue you are seeing also occurs with my application disabled. The player being presented is the IPS embedded functionality - here is the code in the HTML of the page:

<video class="ipsEmbeddedVideo" controls="" data-controller="core.global.core.embeddedvideo" data-fileid="110793" data-unique="jbut9v9lk">
		<source type="video/mpeg" src="https://domain.com/community/uploads/monthly_2022_03/sample_960x540.mov.0fab6b30d1a7b3ec2303b6a49a633e5c.mov"><a class="ipsAttachLink" href="https://domain.com/community/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=110793&amp;key=0b76b4bfb3c5bbbabf9d7092a8d34b63" data-fileid="110793" data-fileext="mov" rel="">sample_960x540.mov</a>
	</source></video>

If you load the page and observe, you will very briefly see a player displayed; then it displays as the link. Why? Because the browser likely believes that it cannot play the file, and therefore reverts to the anchor element of the code above:

<a class="ipsAttachLink" href="https://domain.com/community/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=110793&amp;key=0b76b4bfb3c5bbbabf9d7092a8d34b63" data-fileid="110793" data-fileext="mov" rel="">sample_960x540.mov</a>

This is how the HTML video tag is expected to behave when a browser is unable to play the source file - it reverts to the link (if one is included)

Also, of interest, I uploaded that very same file from your own test post - twice. Player displays fine - but look at the HTML code that is displayed instead:

<video class="ipsEmbeddedVideo" controls="" data-controller="core.global.core.embeddedvideo" data-fileid="110796" data-unique="byou12hql">
		<source type="video/quicktime" src="https://domain.com/community/uploads/monthly_2022_03/sample_960x540.mov.a545b66d4c0838907d2d3d31f0ddf688.mov"><a class="ipsAttachLink" href="https://domain.com/community/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=110796&amp;key=626d460192124c8f8029e997b730e948" data-fileid="110796" data-fileext="mov" rel="">sample_960x540.mov</a>
	</source></video>

See the type="video/quicktime", whereas in your test post it is type="video/mpeg"? (both of my test posts were added using a desktop browser - Firefox - and it is able to play the files. However, if I open Chrome then it displays in a similar way as your test post (I expect that with Chrome - see the previous page, or before, for a previous discussion about this behaviour)

Hi Nathan,

Yes I see the issue, as a test from your suggestion, firefox play the 2 test video without any problem at all, while google chrome could not.

Also great for finding what case this, well done.

Any work around can be done for this in the future or we leave it as it is?

Regards,

• 4 months later...