Using Pages SuperGrid mod from marketplace & lost all pages

SJ77

So to narrow this down: 
What do you see when you open the front end block manager (also called “Page Builder in Pages”) on these pages? Are the widget areas all empty or are the widgets still there? 

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 21.34.23.png

Are all type of pages and widgets affected by this? What about widgets in forum/gallery and so on? What type of widgets are blank? Every widget type or just those made with the TXT & PHP Widget. In that case its something you should contact the developer of this widget about. 

Have you tried clearing the cache?

hi opentype

Thanks for helping. I have attached an example. The pages with blue arrows are now blank. both pages use only the php widget for content.

The page lost it's widget and now it's blank because nothing is there. Pages with other content still have content

example.JPG

here is what the pages look like. See screen shot.  I crossed out banner ad since that's not appropriate for this site.. ignore that but look at the rest of the page. nothing .. :(

no widget.JPG

4 hours ago, superj707 said:

I had pages built and I was using PHP widget to display the content on the page. Somehow it dropped my php widget and I lost all that was on the page.

We had this, it was from the last upgrade, I opened up a support ticket to IPS and within that I kind of answered my own question. For whatever reason that widget deleted around 3/4 pages of content. I had to spend half the day searching around Google Cache to find all the text I had written and to re-do it all again. (If you have loads of text without a text document as a backup then this might save you some time).

I haven't personally bothered contacting the author yet, but seeing this post I had to say and make you aware that you're not the only one. But for me SuperGrid wasn't a cause.

Thank you CP

I knew someone would help me find the issue. I am working on rebuilding all of the stuff I lost from scratch. I guess I just happened to notice my pages were gone as I was screwing around with supergrid and made a false connection.

Thanks again.

This topic scares me as in the (distant) past I have lost all custom blocks on a page before (nothing to do with PHP/Text widget plugin either). Since our annual event page is FULL of wysiwyg blocks in particular, losing them all would be real pain to recreate, just as CP_User describes, and as superj707 is experiencing. I don't know what the answer is, but lately I occasionally visit my block-heavy page and do a browser Save As … Webpage, Complete to grab everything as it looked as a local copy of that page. 

5 hours ago, VR6Pete said:

TXT & PHP Widget is broken for sure on the latest IPB.

I have re-added the widgets and I'm unable to edit after initial creation, if I also move/drag the widget to another page part it just displays "error" and I loose the content !

@Theme Tent UK Can you please update plugin for latest IPB compatibility?

i using txt & php widget myself and had no issues and using 4.1.17.1 and default, third party themes and custom built and no issues.

10 hours ago, Theme Tent UK said:

i using txt & php widget myself and had no issues and using 4.1.17.1 and default, third party themes and custom built and no issues.

Hi - I am not the only one who has lost content during the upgrade process.

Also adding a widget is fine, its only when you edit them after I am unable to open the widget on my home page (Works ok on other pages) and also when moving a widget produces an error, works perfect when adding its only when you come to revisit via the manage blocks view the problems start.

20 hours ago, Adlago said:

If you turn off/on widgets of ACP used widgets will recover does the page?

not sure asking me if have content in widget then turn off then on will keep data if that question yes just tested that.

10 hours ago, VR6Pete said:

Hi - I am not the only one who has lost content during the upgrade process.

Also adding a widget is fine, its only when you edit them after I am unable to open the widget on my home page (Works ok on other pages) and also when moving a widget produces an error, works perfect when adding its only when you come to revisit via the manage blocks view the problems start.

i never lost content in upgrade my forum so not sure how fix bug that don't see ? also i moved widgets around from header to sidebar to footer with no issues if they bug happy fix it but need see error to fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Theme Tent UK

IPB support have identified some issues with your plugin that has caused some issues with my website.

There was a lot of system errors in my logs relating to widgets.

pages_widgets OutOfRangeException (0)

#0 /home/xxxx/public_html/forum/applications/cms/sources/Pages/Page.php(1228): IPS\Patterns\_ActiveRecord::load(NULL)
#1 /home/xxxx/public_html/forum/applications/cms/sources/Pages/Page.php(2107): IPS\cms\Pages\_Page->getWidgets()
#2 /home/xxxx/public_html/forum/applications/cms/modules/front/pages/page.php(72): IPS\cms\Pages\_Page->output()
#3 /home/xxxx/public_html/forum/applications/cms/modules/front/pages/page.php(44): IPS\cms\modules\front\pages\_page->view()

"Essentially the problem was that a plugin widget ("sodTxtWidget") was saved in the database without its plugin ID associated for the "Get Involved" block on every page. When I fixed this, two copies of the block showed up in the middle, and I had to delete the extra one that was previously hidden. Did you have any problems when you initially added those blocks to your page, or have you run into any issues with those blocks where you had to re-add it? Any information you can think of that might explain why you ran into an issue would be appreciated.

This correlated to Text and PHP widget.

steps to reproduce:

- add widget on main page 

- move to another block 

upon doing that the widget says error and then disappeared next time I edit the page blocks.

IPB indicated there was also a bug in their update routine when the content disappeared during the upgrade to the latest version, theyresponded;

"this was indeed a bug in IPS4. I have created an upgrade step, which will fix this issue while the next upgrade."

Please read the below comments from IPB support team and update your plugin code;

Daniel and I collaborated this morning on your ticket and I have identified the issue.

The "PHP & Txt Widget" has a bug which causes this problem. It has the following defined in the widget files, which is not correct

/**
	 * @brief	App
	 */
	public $app = '';

This causes much of the software to incorrectly believe the widget is an application widget instead of a plugin widget, which breaks moving the block around and editing it, for example (both of which you have noticed).

I edited the widget code on your site and these blocks are working correctly now. I would encourage you to report this information to the third party author so he can take corrective action with his custom plugin.

Ultimately the issue is not a bug in the Suite, however, and the third party author should look into the problem to address it (he need only delete the above lines in his plugin widget files to solve the issue).

Thanks,
Brandon Farber
Technical Support / Development

----------------------------

I also pleased to inform the fix IPB have applied also now allows me to edit the contents of an already existing block that had been created - this was another long outstanding bug I had with the plugin so all seems related.

Hope this helps you to update the plugin.

thanks.

Pete

49 minutes ago, VR6Pete said:

Hi @Theme Tent UK

IPB support have identified some issues with your plugin that has caused some issues with my website.

There was a lot of system errors in my logs relating to widgets.

#0 /home/xxxx/public_html/forum/applications/cms/sources/Pages/Page.php(1228): IPS\Patterns\_ActiveRecord::load(NULL)
#1 /home/xxxx/public_html/forum/applications/cms/sources/Pages/Page.php(2107): IPS\cms\Pages\_Page->getWidgets()
#2 /home/xxxx/public_html/forum/applications/cms/modules/front/pages/page.php(72): IPS\cms\Pages\_Page->output()
#3 /home/xxxx/public_html/forum/applications/cms/modules/front/pages/page.php(44): IPS\cms\modules\front\pages\_page->view()

"Essentially the problem was that a plugin widget ("sodTxtWidget") was saved in the database without its plugin ID associated for the "Get Involved" block on every page. When I fixed this, two copies of the block showed up in the middle, and I had to delete the extra one that was previously hidden. Did you have any problems when you initially added those blocks to your page, or have you run into any issues with those blocks where you had to re-add it? Any information you can think of that might explain why you ran into an issue would be appreciated.

This correlated to Text and PHP widget.

steps to reproduce:

- add widget on main page 

- move to another block 

upon doing that the widget says error and then disappeared next time I edit the page blocks.

IPB indicated there was also a bug in their update routine when the content disappeared during the upgrade to the latest version, theyresponded;

"this was indeed a bug in IPS4. I have created an upgrade step, which will fix this issue while the next upgrade."

Please read the below comments from IPB support team and update your plugin code;

Daniel and I collaborated this morning on your ticket and I have identified the issue.

The "PHP & Txt Widget" has a bug which causes this problem. It has the following defined in the widget files, which is not correct

/**
	 * @brief	App
	 */
	public $app = '';

This causes much of the software to incorrectly believe the widget is an application widget instead of a plugin widget, which breaks moving the block around and editing it, for example (both of which you have noticed).

I edited the widget code on your site and these blocks are working correctly now. I would encourage you to report this information to the third party author so he can take corrective action with his custom plugin.

Ultimately the issue is not a bug in the Suite, however, and the third party author should look into the problem to address it (he need only delete the above lines in his plugin widget files to solve the issue).

Thanks,
Brandon Farber
Technical Support / Development

----------------------------

I also pleased to inform the fix IPB have applied also now allows me to edit the contents of an already existing block that had been created - this was another long outstanding bug I had with the plugin so all seems related.

Hope this helps you to update the plugin.

thanks.

Pete

ok i am shocked that answer because this reason

the error point to /cms that pages app my widget don't even have any form code that has cms in second the code given you

/**
	 * @brief	App
	 */
	public $app = '';

this is every widget because its from the dev maybe i might need core in there but still part of the creating of widget but i check with few guys that make widgets see if that would make any difference.

Archived