Announcements need group permissions

Adriano Faria

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In the meantime I found out how to do this. I just created a custom page block with the necessary block as a base. At the end of this config process you can select the permissions.

Now I have a block for guests only.

But what didn't work is the ability to view blocks only on certain pages.

15 minutes ago, Apfelstrudel said:

In the meantime I found out how to do this. I just created a custom page block with the necessary block as a base. At the end of this config process you can select the permissions.

Now I have a block for guests only.

But what didn't work is the ability to view blocks only on certain pages.

Announcements can already be assigned to apps and their containers.

2016-04-01_0908.png

@Adriano Faria I completely agree with ya. Just the other day I wanted to make an announcement to my staff announcing a maintenance period. But didn't want to put it into a forum or as a forum announcement. Was hoping for main page kinda thing. As not all my staff reads threads or goes into categorizes. 

Something main paged but has group permissions would be awesome to see nativly in the suite.

• 3 weeks later...

This does seem like a major oversight. 

I wanted to create an announcement relating to Guests and couldn't believe there is no Group selector.

I'm sure the option to display on just the main index page has gone too. I've had to tick show everywhere and then check every obscure area other than the board index and remove the announcement widget.

Come on IPS, sort this out please!

• 2 months later...
  • Management
On 7/17/2016 at 10:42 AM, sasiko said:

agree 100 times. Why dont you allow us to restrict announcement. Example we have site rules that are aimed specifically for our members. why should guest even need to read that?

There's no reason we won't other than we haven't gotten around to it yet. The list of things people want extends into the thousands. This, in the overall scheme of things, is not a priority. 

I'm not sure why you'd use announcements for rules. You could use other mechanisms - like the privacy policy (you can rename this) and there's even a feature to force people to (re)agree if you change them. 

There's certainly use cases for this, but that's not likely one of them.

Come on, @Lindy, cosmethic things like border in posts is more useful than show messages to specific groups?  Can be nice for some, but useless for vasty majority.

How many minutes/hours will a take a IPS dev to add a select group and add permission to the widget?

Maybe it's time to define better what is priority and what is not.

announcement has it perks for its ability be shown globally or in specific areas. My members has the tendency of not reading the site rules when they register the site. So thats why i added rules in the announcement for the the cvisibility sake. Should be pretty common among other boards

pretty much what adriano said. was it highly requested that we wanted border color posts or was it just a decision that you thought we would like? if you have read in pasts we requested usergroup permission several times in the pasts and always got told its not in the plans.

• Management
8 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

Come on, @Lindy, cosmethic things like border in posts is more useful than show messages to specific groups?  Can be nice for some, but useless for vasty majority.

How many minutes/hours will a take a IPS dev to add a select group and add permission to the widget?

Maybe it's time to define better what is priority and what is not.

Adriano, this feedback forum is filled with thousands of things that one could ask "how many minutes/hours will it take a IPS dev to add?" It all adds up and yes, things must be prioritized. This can already be accomplished via Pages and yes, I understand not everyone has Pages. Announcements were/are intended to be for targeted for everyone. Blocks, however, can be customized to show to specific audiences. I understand you want to change this behavior and we will certainly consider it. I appreciate your assistance in "defining what is priority" but in the grand scheme of things, I'd consider this replicating something that can already be done, in a different way. 

In regards to post highlighting - yes, it actually was commonly requested by those who run support communities, fan sites and many others that want to highlight when an employee or staff member replies to make it easy to identify official posts. You can determine that's useless because it's not important to you, much like others would deem this request useless because they don't use it or would use Pages or other existing functionality. Our job is to decipher feedback from all avenues and determine what makes the most sense at the right time. It's not a perfect science and we won't nail it perfectly every time, but it is nonetheless our role. 

When we decided to do more transparent feature planning, I made it clear that we wouldn't be engaging in endless debate about inclusions and timing or else we risk spending more time talking than doing. With that, I'm closing this as respectfully, there's nothing left to discuss. You requested, the request is clear and straight forward and will be addressed in a future update -- no ETA at this time. Thank you. 

• 2 months later...

Archived