I am also angry with IPB over 4.0!

WOFman

When I started my first forum in 2000 I was using phpBB. I have been using IPS (IPB back then) since 2002 or 2003. Back when it was 2.X everytime we upgraded I pulled and all nighter to edit files and skins for the modifications. Invision has come a LONG way since then.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Correct, saying it's all new so there should be no expectations or carried over learning from previous versions is equivalent to building a car from scratch without wheels and then arguing that wheels were not over looked because it's a newly manufactured car. We know cars need wheels and we know what a good forum should have.

​I am quite upset to be honest. I am LIVID!

Of course if you mean with this thread or anything IPB related...then no. I am happy :P

(But watching the fosters has made me so mad lol)

But I'm still older.  :thumbsup:

​Maybe older but young at heart... Actually we could change Avatars since the last camera break photo was taken the beard is another 5 inches longer and the hair touches the shoulders... A few of us at the VA have a little wager to see who will give in and become clean cut first... (((Please Lord don't let it be me I need the 50 bucks!!!!)))....

***ADDED NOTE***

BTW Not much older than me you old Fart!

​Maybe older but young at heart... Actually we could change Avatars since the last camera break photo was taken the beard is another 5 inches longer and the hair touches the shoulders... A few of us at the VA have a little wager to see who will give in and become clean cut first... (((Please Lord don't let it be me I need the 50 bucks!!!!)))....

***ADDED NOTE***

BTW Not much older than me you old Fart!

By 2 months.

• Management

​Correct, saying it's all new so there should be no expectations or carried over learning from previous versions is equivalent to building a car from scratch without wheels and then arguing that wheels were not over looked because it's a newly manufactured car. We know cars need wheels and we know what a good forum should have.

Oh I love auto analogies. ;) The ability to have topics would be the equivalent of wheels.  Something like displaying post numbers would be the equivalent of an ashtray. Yes, some might have used it - a select few might even deem it "vital" to their morning commute. Most, however, wouldn't use it and would just declare it wasted space / clutter. As the engineers, we determined the latter and thus it was removed to lend to a less awkward interface as we prepare to add more features in the future that can better use that space than an arbitrary number.

For those that do find such things super important, they can certainly use an aftermarket ashtray to accomplish their smoking receptacle goal. 

They may be minor for those starting a new website from scratch, however they aren't minor for those of us that have been around for a decade building our websites on this software and finding functionality that we've come to rely on to be removed or forgotten.

​I believe the term minor had no demeaning connotation. If you take the fact there's seven applications and the scale of what we've done, the fact that a few are disappointed because the traditional member list is no more (as an example), is in fact a relatively minor thing. Is it important to the few that heavily used it? Yes, of course. Is it "minor" in the overall scheme of things to the majority of users -- many of which disabled it to begin with? Yes. What's major to one is minor to another. 

We're not taking away from frustration that people have over changes and has been noted several changes have already been improved upon or based on feedback, reverted. Changes nonetheless occur though. Apple changed the function of the maximize button in Mac OS X Yosemite. I personally hate it to my very core and to me, it was a major deal that disrupts my workflow. To Apple and others, it's a minor thing. I've read many other users like the way it works now - I may be in the minority, but the moral of the story is, there's many other things to love and I recognize Apple didn't build Yosemite specifically for me. I'm but one user in a sea of many - clearly others prefer the full screen mode that button now toggles. There's more important things in life to worry about. :) 

We can't keep everything from the last 13 years while still chiseling and carving out room for current and future modern features and trends. Some things have to go and again, what's major to one is minor to another -- and vice-versa. 

For those that do find such things super important, they can certainly use an aftermarket ashtray to accomplish their smoking receptacle goal.

​Hang on a second... I use my ashtray everyday... It is a very important feature in my trucks.... It holds all the change I don't want to carry....

My feeling is that previous versions of the forum software were becoming way too complex, particularly with regards to the ACP. I think using the back of your arms to swipe everthing off the table to start over with something more simple was a good move. That said, there are a couple of things I think should still be there, like the ability to prevent guests from viewing profiles (maybe I missed the setting?)

Overall 4 is a big step forward. The RWD design is what I've been waiting for, I was never a believer in separate mobile skins, RWD is the future, and what IPS has done with 4 is not just good, it's spectacularly good.

1 & 2: Feel free to start topics about critical functionality you find missing. I can let you know if it's still there but different, if it's coming soon, or if it's not happening for whatever reason.

3: We have never really kept a formal list.

There is no formal, master list of features for IPB 3.x and no list for IPS 4 that are implemented (old/new), obsoleted (old) and to be implemented (old/new)? That would have made for a much easier discussion...

For me, I can't imagine trying to figure out what I'm missing until one day I realize it's gone. I think I listed a couple of obvious ones as did others. Is it possible that you might have something, some type of list in planning, which could list all the items that IPS decided were (a) changed, and (b) deemed obsolete and not included? We'd really need some collaboration tool to have a master list and a forum like this isn't optimal... maybe a thread but someone needs access to edit the first "master post." Thanks.

• Management

There is no formal, master list of features for IPB 3.x and no list for IPS 4 that are implemented (old/new), obsoleted (old) and to be implemented (old/new)? That would have made for a much easier discussion...

For me, I can't imagine trying to figure out what I'm missing until one day I realize it's gone. I think I listed a couple of obvious ones as did others. Is it possible that you might have something, some type of list in planning, which could list all the items that IPS decided were (a) changed, and (b) deemed obsolete and not included? Thanks.

​There are tons of internal discussions about specific things but it's not that black and white. We don't have some magic list of "Here are the things we will remove! (evil laugh)"

If you look at the people who have taken the time to post topics about "missing" features I would say half the time the feature is not really "missing" but instead still there just done in a different way. Other times it may have been removed for a valid reason. Other times we say "yeah you're right" and implement it again when we thought it made sense but turns out we were wrong.

But, again, I welcome you and anyone to start topics if you find something holding you back. Other have and it's been very useful.

​There are tons of internal discussions about specific things but it's not that black and white. We don't have some magic list of "Here are the things we will remove! (evil laugh)"

If you look at the people who have taken the time to post topics about "missing" features I would say half the time the feature is not really "missing" but instead still there just done in a different way. Other times it may have been removed for a valid reason. Other times we say "yeah you're right" and implement it again when we thought it made sense but turns out we were wrong.

But, again, I welcome you and anyone to start topics if you find something holding you back. Other have and it's been very useful.

​Theres that evil laugh again...

evil_laugh.thumb.png.0c61daa08fc362951fc

When I plan I usually have a list of existing features and then another that lists what I will (i) keep, (ii) drop and (iii) new things I'll add. I will accept that you didn't do that with IPS 4 and it was a more broad discussion over time. Different ways people operate...

Nobody probably has objections with things being done "a different way" provided it doesn't prevent them from accomplishing a need. I'm going to take a better look at IPS 4 over the course of the next 2 weeks or so. But I do think that you're probably best served in compiling your own list in a single place that explains the status of that feature. For example. Friends vs. Followers, Best Answer by post vs. by forum. Post Numbering. Topic Title Length. Without it, I'd expect a torrent of superfluous topics from every user who discovers it for the first time and then starts a new topic, probably not happy it's missing, etc. I suggest this for organization purposes, not to pass the buck to IPS to keep track of its own feature list that has been changed or removed. It would seem logical to keep it there. 

• Management

I undestand what you are saying as you have said it multiple times. As I have indicated there is no "feature list" as such because it does not work that way. A system as complex as our Suite cannot be boiled down to a raw list of features. I appreciate your feedback but our system works well for how you work.

As always, feel free to start individual topics for specific items. Thank you.

I undestand what you are saying as you have said it multiple times. As I have indicated there is no "feature list" as such because it does not work that way. A system as complex as our Suite cannot be boiled down to a raw list of features. I appreciate your feedback but our system works well for how you work.

As always, feel free to start individual topics for specific items. Thank you.

​.

It's seems to be a hard boiled egg at IPS if it comes to "lists"  :)

at least @Charles with all the tools you have in hand .. you can develop a bug tracker/list .. why not throw in a feature tracker/list and let this go its way, of course don't forget the rating .. it's just an example, I guess will all the diplomatic mojo flowing here .. some original "Pages"  setup will do the trick .. even the calendar is out of orbit, any use for it? Or we can post only our birthday selfies?

feature tracker + rating .. >> thumbs up!

It's not a business operation, just basic organization. First I hear that IPS is far too complex to list features, such as all the controls in the admin. OK. But if so, then what happens when someone wants to see what the status is on one of them? They will never find it in the huge haystack of questions, probably asked multiple times with crossover between features. If this is what you want, fine, but I'd guess there will be dozens of redundant new topics here. Just confirming before I list them, and it's at least 15 items long by now.

• Management

It's not a business operation, just basic organization. First I hear that IPS is far too complex to list features, such as all the controls in the admin. OK. But if so, then what happens when someone wants to see what the status is on one of them? They will never find it in the huge haystack of questions, probably asked multiple times with crossover between features. If this is what you want, fine, but I'd guess there will be dozens of redundant new topics here. Just confirming before I list them, and it's at least 15 items long by now.

​You may wish to look to see if there are other topics already posted before you post your list.

Archived