I am also angry with IPB over 4.0!

WOFman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

People getting their panties in a bunch when mod authors have hardly even started creating tweeks. I think 4.0 is awesome. It is now more able to compete with Facebook and other social media.

​Thanks for posting :)

Version 4.0 is really quite good and will rapidly evolve over the course of this year. So many of the "omg" things people are posting about are really quite minor if you think about it. Most all of them we will be able to sort out over the next few releases.

Version 4.0 is really quite good and will rapidly evolve over the course of this year. So many of the "omg" things people are posting about are really quite minor if you think about it. Most all of them we will be able to sort out over the next few releases.

People are getting their panties in a twist because:

​1) You can't plan a new project based on what "might" be sorted out in future releases

2) You can't upgrade an existing forum with key features missing that your community currently relies upon.

3) We don't have a proper changelog that lists what has been added, changed or removed. People don't like unpleasant surprises (at least I don't).

None of the above implies that 4.0 is no good. Quite the opposite.

• Management

1 & 2: Feel free to start topics about critical functionality you find missing. I can let you know if it's still there but different, if it's coming soon, or if it's not happening for whatever reason.

3: We have never really kept a formal list.

They may be minor for those starting a new website from scratch, however they aren't minor for those of us that have been around for a decade building our websites on this software and finding functionality that we've come to rely on to be removed or forgotten.

​It seems to me that people easily overlook the fact that 4.0 was made from scratch, and that nothing was "added to" or "removed from" 3.x, because everything is brand new.

deadhorse.gif 

That is a rather pedantic/semantic way to look at it.  Yes is was made from scratch. Yes there is certain functionality we expect to carry over from the previous version even if the code itself is all new!

deadhorse.gif 

That is a rather pedantic/semantic way to look at it.  Yes is was made from scratch. Yes there is certain functionality we expect to carry over from the previous version even if the code itself is all new!

​Correct, saying it's all new so there should be no expectations or carried over learning from previous versions is equivalent to building a car from scratch without wheels and then arguing that wheels were not over looked because it's a newly manufactured car. We know cars need wheels and we know what a good forum should have.

​Correct, saying it's all new so there should be no expectations or carried over learning from previous versions is equivalent to building a car from scratch without wheels and then arguing that wheels were not over looked because it's a newly manufactured car. We know cars need wheels and we know what a good forum should have.

deadhorse.gif

​Come on guys this is a positive thread...take it to one of the many complaint threads :P

They may be minor for those starting a new website from scratch, however they aren't minor for those of us that have been around for a decade building our websites on this software and finding functionality that we've come to rely on to be removed or forgotten.

​I been around MORE than a decade.

Archived