Back to top option

Codza

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find fixed navigation down right annoying as it steals valuable screen space and the "hide and show" approach when you scroll up can be annoying as well. Long as we have the option to disable it, I really don't care.

Until I read this response I was going to reply with exactly the same thing. They are great if you have a very slim navigation element such as like on facebook but not very suitable for a forum IMO.

They are great if you have a very slim navigation element such as like on facebook but not very suitable for a forum IMO.

​The facebook bar has a height of 43 pixels, the IPS main navigation bar has 47 pixels – with lots of padding which is not really necessary. So there is no real difference. 

That being said: a fixed header is a simple CSS/JavaScript change or a possible part of themes for IPS 4.0. It doesn’t need to come with every IPS installation. 

It was removed because it's a silly thing.

​May be it is a silly thing, but if our members requests, we can not ignore them, at least must provide an good explanation. I really think it's not professional to tell them it's silly thing (at least I can not tell my members that motivation). I could understand if this function cause some damage in the forum or if someone is bothered by its existence, but this is not the case here. I apologize, but I think that stubbornness to refuse this, without good reason, is not constructive.

Thanks for your answer.

​The facebook bar has a height of 43 pixels, the IPS main navigation bar has 47 pixels – with lots of padding which is not really necessary. So there is no real difference. 

That being said: a fixed header is a simple CSS/JavaScript change or a possible part of themes for IPS 4.0. It doesn’t need to come with every IPS installation. 

​It does, however its not just the main navigation which is needed. IMO you would need the users tools, pagination etc,

I apologize, but I think that stubbornness to refuse this, without good reason, is not constructive.

Charles did not only use the word ”silly” – he also explained the “good reasons” from his point of view. You may not like these reasons or agree with them, but that doesn’t make them illegitimate per se.

And concerning the stubbornness: Aren’t the people asking for this over and over again equally stubborn? It was shown how you can add it yourself, it was stated that hooks will be available for it. So there is really nothing to get so worked up about. You don’t have to annoy your users. You don’t have to explain the change to them. If you or your users want it: You just add it in again. But it doesn’t have to be in the default installation just because you are used to it. The software has thousands of users and the default installation will never fit every admin’s need in every little detail. 

​It does, however its not just the main navigation which is needed. IMO you would need the users tools, pagination etc,

​That’s debatable. Which is even more proof that it shouldn’t be in the default installation and should be left to admins and theme designers. 

​That’s debatable. Which is even more proof that it shouldn’t be in the default installation and should be left to admins and theme designers. 

​On on that note I agree :)

I will be doing a small hook for this anyways as got a different thought on location for it. Another good reason for it not being default

My goodness, are we going to whine and get all emotional every time a feature is removed no matter how tiny?

A lot of people don't even know of it's existence unless you put it right in their faces with a giant floating icon, it's a button for a handful of people who have a certain "browsing" routine and don't want to change. If you have anything better than a $2 mouse you should be able to spin your mouse scroll button and have the page fly up to the top faster than any other "smooth scroll" jump to top buttons.

20 years from now, will this button exist? Probably not, why not learn to live without it so you wont have to sit at the end of a page writing your will.

Next thing is going to be how the colour pip icon colour is destroying peoples lives and breaking apart families.

We're about to do some maintenance on our servers and might be down for about 2 hours today but at my day job, I pleaded and with my SVP to not go against my better judgement and force us to do a sticky/hide navigation for ours. I find it completely annoying and it is kind of large (100px height). Even with my testing internally of people getting confused and thinking the "top of the page" was somewhere in the middle because "the navigation was there" I was still forced to release it. Among other things on that website I want to bang my head on the table for every day that my hand was forced but that's life and you live and learn for next projects.

Anyway, the only way I find a sticky nav quite useful is in the case of our product catalog: http://www.asg.com/Portfolio/Product-Catalog.aspx The alphabetical navigation stays with you which I think is pretty handy as you need it to surf the page. Other than that I just find them annoying, even Facebooks/Twitters/etc... that are very small. 

Another argument against such feature is IMO that it takes too much space and hides the content on the mobile phone.

Just image a second box next to the quote posts overlay

screen.thumb.png.5365d609ce86ee416c9d528

​Not really an arguement against tbh as you can pretty much pick and choose what elements to hide from the responsive design at different sizes so could always get rid of it on mobile if needs be.

​Not really an arguement against tbh as you can pretty much pick and choose what elements to hide from the responsive design at different sizes so could always get rid of it on mobile if needs be.

​And what's the point of this feature then? AFAIK the initial suggestion (on the preview instance) was, that it is a pain on mobile phones:P

How can I get back to the top on a mobile phone without having to scroll? As far as I know Firefox Mobile does not have any one-tap solution.

​all android phone don't have this as well . but the iPhone safari have it since ages ago tap on the address bar will get you to top of the page.

since this is browser feature i think they should add it not IPS 

and this really easy to add it took me 5 minute to create plugin for it with easy config options and animation scrolling effect 

​And what's the point of this feature then? AFAIK the initial suggestion (on the preview instance) was, that it is a pain on mobile phones:P

​Might want to go and read the original post then as it doesnt it just says its a pain. I have to agree I love to be able to click a button with my mouse and it skip me back to the top if the page.

Also the preview on mobile doesnt have to be something like the quote button.

It just needs to be a line of text and that line of text can be put into the footer sub navigation on the right or in the footer. It doesn't have to take up real estate - that's how I plan on implementing it.

Everyone has different ways of browsing, everyone has different ways on how they drive, how they eat food. However, car manufacturers have made convenient options available close too or on the steering wheel. Some clever clogs invented the knife and fork to make eating convenient, it just beggars belief that a simple back to top button available in 3.4.* - now has to be introduced as an app (some may charge for, some may offer for free).

Where as apps that have been introduced into 3.4.* are now part of the core (mentions for example). Of course some things need to be removed for optimisation, change happens and no one "generally" likes change.

I just don't understand the logic or thought process on excluding this "silly" option.

A lot of people don't even know of it's existence unless you put it right in their faces with a giant floating icon, it's a button for a handful of people who have a certain "browsing" routine and don't want to change. If you have anything better than a $2 mouse you should be able to spin your mouse scroll button and have the page fly up to the top faster than any other "smooth scroll" jump to top buttons.

​Not every device people use to browse the web necessarily have a mouse to begin with, some even miss a keyboard. The tablet I use has no other way than scrolling up with my fingers, which, on a deep site, takes more time than pressing on the up key. I think it makes no sense to display it everywhere. In 3.4 you could open page 2 of a forum right below page 1 and page 3,4,5... instead of going to page two like it is done in 4.0, or is this option still avaliable? Anyway, I think its still a valid thing for topics where individual post can be quite long, depending on the topics subject. Here you got rather small posts, elsewhere people might write an average post which is 3 times longer or more, especially if they include graphics. If you use your hands to scroll you sometimes might even end up accidently pressing on a link you don't want to. Thats why I see it as a usefull feature for mobile users. Some mobile advices might have a way to do those things already, but not all and you cannot value a feature based on what features a certain device has. Do we need to have those messages below which show how many posts there have been added while you were reading the thread, when its already a feature in certain browsers? I think yes, because mine doesn't ;).

​all android phone don't have this as well . but the iPhone safari have it since ages ago tap on the address bar will get you to top of the page.

since this is browser feature i think they should add it not IPS 

and this really easy to add it took me 5 minute to create plugin for it with easy config options and animation scrolling effect 

​The point I made is that it is not always about "Old habbits never die...", but there might actually be reasons why people use a certain feature.

Archived