Back to top option

Codza

I understand that we can add it, but I want to know why it was removed. To add it, is necessary to have IP Pages?

What I can not understand: why IPS took the decision not to implement this elementary function which is requested by many users. :(   What benefits can bring this decision?!?!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not the point though Andy, most people know it's easy to add. It's something that should not need to be added though, it should just be available. Look at it from a users perspective and that of a forum admin who might not necessarily have the skills or knowledge to implement it, rather than a developer or coder.

It's emotive because it should just be available (my view and appears to be the view of others, but not all) - it can be added above contact us or it can be added to the right of footer navigation.

• Management

It was removed because it's a silly thing. Take this topic. You're getting all worked up over a link that, all it does, is replace the dozen other ways built into your browser/computer/phone/abacus to accomplish the task. 

Should we have a go back, go forward, refresh, URL input box, etc. button too?

Besides I have never understood the logic. The work flow is:

1. Click a page
  2. Scroll down reading page
  3. Move your mouse from scrolling area (designed for scrolling)
  4. Move it even further down the page to find a little button to go to top
  5. Click go to top button
  6. Move mouse back up to the top of the screen to click something else

You could totally skip steps 3 - 6. We're helping you out here! ;)

TL;DR: We are not adding a top button because it's not a feature: just a little link. You can certainly add it on your site if you like but we just do not see the point in default software.

Besides I have never understood the logic. The work flow is:

1. Click a page
  2. Scroll down reading page
  3. Move your mouse from scrolling area (designed for scrolling)

​Hang on a second, do you seriously scroll down a page by the drag-and-drop or click method @Charles:unsure:

​Hang on a second, do you seriously scroll down a page by the drag-and-drop or click method @Charles:unsure:

​Middle mouse button squad ;)

In reality, it appears that this thread is literally going back and forth about a link that most people find irrelevant, it just goes to show that people will find something to complain about.

All companies are unique with their designs, and functionality, if they weren't, we'd all be on the same software. There's things about IPS that most of us really like, and won't find anywhere else. If a "Back to Top" button is legitimately a concern, there's no reason why you can't just add it yourself, as demonstrated within this topic, most people don't have a care in the world for something so small, to be honest with you, its quite useless in my opinion.

​I use my mouse wheel actually but the point is I never actually move my mouse to the bottom of the page.

​Me neither, and I'm also not interested in the go to top-button at all. I just got a bit worried you were still using the stone age technology of actually clicking with your mouse on the right hand scroll indicator in your browser.  :P 

I'm not bothered whether IPS add it in or not (I will), however, I know that my members would be disappointed that this simple yet extremely useful feature has been removed. For what it is, you cannot deny it's usability.

It's about catering for all, not just catering for what you think people want, based on how you scroll to the top.

I'm not bothered whether IPS add it in or not (I will), however, I know that my members would be disappointed that this simple yet extremely useful feature has been removed. For what it is, you cannot deny it's usability.

It's about catering for all, not just catering for what you think people want, based on how you scroll to the top.

​I actively speak with my active members and understand their needs. None of them use it. I also have heatmaps to tell where people hover to back up their claim. None are by it on my popular large pages.

Unless there is a lot of data, from multiple websites, I would argue my site is an average. I am not saying that nobody uses it as obviously there are people who do but it is the job of the owner of the website to address what their users need, not IPS.

​I don’t agree to that. As software maker or admin you sometimes have to force users to stop their old habits if there are better ways to do it. I actually do that all the time on my site. 

IPS shouldn’t drag every functionality that was there since version 1.0 through every new update, just because there are a few users who use it. The usefulness of every feature should be reconsidered at regular intervals. 

And even though I consider the IPS design the best among the competition, there is still sooooo much objects you can click on any page. We rather need less than more and the first thing I will do in 4.0 is go through the templates and delete any part that is not really necessary. 

I'll give you my example.

I scroll the page, I read the comments etc. The only time I use the keyboard is to type.

I don't press the middle scroll key to scroll back to the top, I don't use the scroll option at the side of a page, I see a "back to top" I click it - call it lazy if you like or a "bad habit". We can go back and forth on it, it's evident IPS are not going to add it back it (why beats the hell out of me) - it ain't because of cosmetics.

Ever heard of the phrase KISS

Keep, It, Simple, Stupid

It's a simple solution, it works, it's used - why remove it? Give people a tool to do a simple task and then take it away from them, they are generally lost.

Ever heard of the phrase KISS

Keep, It, Simple, Stupid

It's a simple solution, it works, it's used - why remove it? 

​For that very same reason you mentioned. Keep it simple and stupid and don’t crowd the screen with features that you browser or mouse or touchpad already offer. 

Charles already explained it perfectly. You could also claim a "Go to last page" button to be equally useful. You read a topic, then you want to go back to the forum or VNC. Why not offer a last page button? It would follow the same logic. 

The only difference is, that the back to top was there recently and is not there now, so we see the typical "but I want it like it was before" discussions. 

Here is some insight, if this will help, I have been a big proponent internally of the back to top button, because I use it everyday, on all my communities, it's the way I browse, some may call this silly, some may agree, but change is hard for some, and when it's a forced change it makes it tougher.  It's like a cup holder in a car, some may never drink in their car, some would hate for it to be gone as you may use it everyday. This is one of those cup holders, sure you can go buy a cup holder that hangs from your window, but it's just not the same, while in a perfect world there would be a simple option to turn this on or off, however there are many more important things for the team to focus on currently.

There will be many solutions, there will plugins in the market place to add this back once 4.0 is released, so for those that use it like a cup holder, wait for 4.0 final, and it will be available. I personally plan to have a plugin available for my own use and will be posting it in the marketplace, there are others working on variations as well.

To all the people that are saying it's available everywhere =>  Could you show me some pages?:P

google.com => no

gmail.com => no

facebook.com => no

youtube => no

none of the top visited pages includes an "back to top button" 

software:

default xf board=> no

default phpbb=> no

default vB=> no

I don't disagree that it would be nice to have this for some users (who hate changes..:P ) , but there are IMO better solutions. Such button is IMO deprecated! I would prefer a fixed navbar (which would make such button unnecessary )

Rhett I like the analogy and explanation - doesn't mean it's the right thing to include or exclude. Going by the same analogy (car) - why do steering wheels have controls for the volume, handsfree, speed control, cruise control?

Convenience - it's convenient for some to have a back to top button. I think the decision is the wrong one, just the same as I think putting the menu back to how it is now and not having a top static menu is also the wrong one, however we are entitled to our own opinions and supply feedback in the hope that enough people feedback about it.

Rhett I like the analogy and explanation - doesn't mean it's the right thing to include or exclude. Going by the same analogy (car) - why do steering wheels have controls for the volume, handsfree, speed control, cruise control?

Convenience - it's convenient for some to have a back to top button. I think the decision is the wrong one, just the same as I think putting the menu back to how it is now and not having a top static menu is also the wrong one, however we are entitled to our own opinions and supply feedback in the hope that enough people feedback about it.

​​I hear you, and provided a solution, the decision is not mine though, but a solution is. :)  

To all the people that are saying it's available everywhere =>  Could you show me some pages?:P

google.com => no

gmail.com => no

facebook.com => no

youtube => no

none of the top visited pages includes an "back to top button" 

As you said:

I don't disagree that it would be nice to have this for some users (who hate changes..:P ) , but there are IMO better solutions. Such button is IMO deprecated! I would prefer a fixed navbar (which would make such button unnecessary )

​A fixed navbar is a solution. All of sites that you mentionned have this fixed bar...

Archived