IPB 4.0 | Anti-Something...

ZakRhyno

Is there a way to make it improvement over the style of look?

1. To flat looking

2. Very plan and ungly

3. No flow to the interface; looks like the deisgn is more backwards that moving forwads, not much of an improvement

4. I like the ideas and such on the right with the user data and such but still could be use better icons to stand out.

1.JPG

VS

At least it not really looking flat and plan here maybe add some more swing to it in 4.0.

.End of Line

2.JPG

lol you haven't even seen 4.0 yet... and please keep in mind, "your opinion, is YOUR opinion, most that have seen 4.0 LOVE IT!

To answer your question, yes you can customize 4.0 skins/themes, so each person can make it look however they would like to with a custom theme/skin.

Really?

Based off a single screenshot for a product that is not even at a beta stage yet.

And I'm sure if you don't like the default look then simply download a theme to suit your taste.

Mostly likely it will stay the same and even it it not beta it a good bet it is staying simliar to what it looks like now. It not also off a single screen shot there video and such from other areas. Well dull about the themes. I was speaking more of a default look. It can use the improvment and stop looking to flat and to basic.

lol you haven't even seen 4.0 yet... and please keep in mind, "your opinion, is YOUR opinion, most that have seen 4.0 LOVE IT!

To answer your question, yes you can customize 4.0 skins/themes, so each person can make it look however they would like to with a custom theme/skin.

From what out there it pretty keeping with the theme. Well of course people love the apps and all ons. Not much of anything was yet to be said of looks or style of it. I'm open to the community chiming in and adding some of their thoughts to it all. Also, I had no question to skins/themes I was saying the way it looks now need some help.

It's not flat. It's just "right!"

To baisc and needs some more spice; more turn back than improve over 3.x.x flow.

ZakRhyno I would hold back your opinions until you actually see and use it, basing an opinion on a partial screen shot without seeing it yourself isn't fair to anyone, and disrespectful to the very hard work that our dev team has put into it as well.

No disrepect to the dev team at all. It just the flow seem not with it in the image are the video that was posted in Blogs and pictures. Even if I do wait for it to be release won't it be to late to fix it as it been release and can't be fix cause it out already? Just giving some input. I can understand and see it your point of view true; but listen to cusomters and giving feedback is what IPS wants; thus I giving it with repsect to the whole team. it's mostly to do with Tabs not the overall feel of the skin, just a little spice and everything be nice! :smile:

No offense to the OP, but I like to base my design off from "flat". I've grown tired of the puffy 90's look that all 3 major forums use. It's not so fun to get rid of when creating a new style.

I'm sure that people can add fancy fluff back in the places that matter to them.

I'm not saying that I'm against fluffy puff. I just prefer to work with something cleaner without having to delete all that extra stuff.

To me, 4.0 is heading in a much cleaner base style. Thank you IPB!!

Interestingly, it's not flat because it's hip or cool or trendy. One of our guiding aims with 4.0 is to make it easy for people to customize the look of the software. The first part of that is cutting down on gradients, because those are more difficult to customize out of the box. It's also why there isn't blue everywhere like in 3.x - instead, you can change a few key colors and end up with a completely different-looking theme, because a lot of the content area is neutral. We're treating the default theme in IPS4 as a starting point for your own style more than anything else - after all, the majority of sites want to customize it, not use it as-is. That's what makes a good default theme, imo.

Luckily, our new VSE supports gradients so if you like them, you can add them back :smile:

I don't believe IPB4 is going to be "very plan and ungly."

Like I said in another post, I'm looking forward to the polished modernized look. I've always liked more flat/mate themed templates. I can't stand gradient abuse for one. I've never really been a fan of the header bar as an example >_< the rest of the 3.x base template isn't bad with that though.

I'm really liking what I've seen so far in IP.Downloads at the very least. Even so, I of course don't plan on keeping the stock IP.Board template on any of my websites. I'll be doing a lot of customization, as I do with all of my websites.

You were the first to notice lol , it was feeling a bit oldish, so I touched it up a tad. :smile:

I noticed a while back actually, I like it.

Maybe you should update the staff badge too :tongue:

Interestingly, it's not flat because it's hip or cool or trendy. One of our guiding aims with 4.0 is to make it easy for people to customize the look of the software. The first part of that is cutting down on gradients, because those are more difficult to customize out of the box. It's also why there isn't blue everywhere like in 3.x - instead, you can change a few key colors and end up with a completely different-looking theme, because a lot of the content area is neutral. We're treating the default theme in IPS4 as a starting point for your own style more than anything else - after all, the majority of sites want to customize it, not use it as-is. That's what makes a good default theme, imo.

Luckily, our new VSE supports gradients so if you like them, you can add them back :smile:

Thanks Rikki that makes sense. I understand now at least one can change it more and such with VSE.

Is there a way to make it improvement over the style of look?

1. To flat looking

2. Very plan and ungly

3. No flow to the interface; looks like the deisgn is more backwards that moving forwads, not much of an improvement

4. I like the ideas and such on the right with the user data and such but still could be use better icons to stand out.

1.JPG

VS

At least it not really looking flat and plan here maybe add some more swing to it in 4.0.

.End of Line

2.JPG

I do not think you can make a credible conclusion on the overall design and flow based on the one screen shot you provided. There is no navigation menu. It is clear that the design reflects elements of responsive design, which IPS has said the default skin has.

I am lost to see where the flow is lacking.

Finally, the design reflects what the entire internet is now doing. Read this article, from 03 Jan 2014:

http://www.websitemagazine.com/content/blogs/posts/pages/dissecting-the-flat-design-trend.aspx

I do not think you can make a credible conclusion on the overall design and flow based on the one screen shot you provided. There is no navigation menu. It is clear that the design reflects elements of responsive design, which IPS has said the default skin has.

I am lost to see where the flow is lacking.

Finally, the design reflects what the entire internet is now doing. Read this article, from 03 Jan 2014:

http://www.websitemagazine.com/content/blogs/posts/pages/dissecting-the-flat-design-trend.aspx

Maybe so but videos and image out so far say else wise. Look a the tops images Downloads, Documentation, Calendar & Forums, that nav go me. Also the apple look is now aways the best look, plus there tons of covenations on xyz items. Still need something more to stay out apart them just text. The "flat" look is more so it has no details or shadeing, Rikki has clear up the issue tho in a early post as well.

IP.Board 4.0 is, for me, very beautiful. :)

ZakRhyno, you must accept how the design is by default. If you do not like the design by default, others will love... The developers have worked hard to make a complete skinning system so if you really do not like the design, customize it! Anyway, there will be, no doubt many skins on the market. ;)

Good for IPS for getting rid of the gradients. Windows 8 isn't the best OS Microsoft has ever made (it's OK), but I will commend them on the fact that I like the metro/flat look, and I like the fact that IPS is taking that road. The gradients are looking really dated and I hate them with all my heart. The current color scheme looks great and I like the flat feel to it.

In direct response to the OP, screenshots aren't the best when it comes to showing true colors. What might look dark red in a screenshot may be a lighter shade of red when you're actually looking at it on your screen. You also haven't even seen a quarter of 4.0 and you're going to criticize the design and flow? Come on already. When the full product comes out, go ahead and criticize everything you want (if there even is anything to criticize), but right now, you really have no right to say that the design and stuff are terrible when you haven't even seen the finished product yet.

Good for IPS for getting rid of the gradients. Windows 8 isn't the best OS Microsoft has ever made (it's OK), but I will commend them on the fact that I like the metro/flat look, and I like the fact that IPS is taking that road. The gradients are looking really dated and I hate them with all my heart. The current color scheme looks great and I like the flat feel to it.

In direct response to the OP, screenshots aren't the best when it comes to showing true colors. What might look dark red in a screenshot may be a lighter shade of red when you're actually looking at it on your screen. You also haven't even seen a quarter of 4.0 and you're going to criticize the design and flow? Come on already. When the full product comes out, go ahead and criticize everything you want (if there even is anything to criticize), but right now, you really have no right to say that the design and stuff are terrible when you haven't even seen the finished product yet.

If you see not much of it, praise is ok, but complain not? Sry, but I have to agree with him. I don`t like the header as it is on the video/screenshots.

This is the kind of post that IPS needs to make more often. A very good and sensible explanation for why you made the decision that you did. My first reaction was indeed "omg, no gradients why would they do that" but I'm satisfied with your explanation.

As was already explained at length in >a previous blog post, modifying and creating themes for your IPS installation has been an important consideration in the development. When I saw the recent articles that showed partial screenshots, I was excited about the possibilities of putting my own branding on my IPS site. I belong to hundreds of forums for various purposes. Not one of them uses the forum software's default theme/skin. Some are only color changes and a few custom graphics, but at least the owners understand the value of branding.

I look forward to future revelations about the UI of IPS4 - and I am sure there will be at least one focusing on the default theme characteristics. At that time, I expect lots of feedback on the default theme and the customizing capabilities. But this topic seems to be very premature. Anti-Something indeed.

add some more swing

needs some more

spice

It just the flow seem not with it

Surely a windup :lol: ?

If not - I can say for most developers that nothing is more irritating and unhelpful than ridiculous marketing buzzwords such as those. How about pin pointing areas of the UI that you dislike and then providing examples of improvements?

This is the kind of post that IPS needs to make more often. A very good and sensible explanation for why you made the decision that you did. My first reaction was indeed "omg, no gradients why would they do that" but I'm satisfied with your explanation.

And I will second that. They are also the kinds of things I like reading in the blog posts. Not just "We did xyz" but "We did xyz because" is something IPB do different to most.

As for the "Flow" conversation. The only thing as far as the style goes that should flow well IMO is the markup and CSS in the admin panel. If thats put together in a nice 'flowing' manor then it will make it easier for both amateur and advanced desiners alike to 'swing' in and add their own 'spice'.

(Did I miss any buzz words?)

Archived