When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, with a lack of communication in that respect, it puts IPS's clients in a questioning and negative space...they have to make business decisions, but they don't have enough information from IPS to make their decision relative to IPS's software and it's availability. So it just pushes them to think about alternatives, which to me, doesn't seem like a good way to ensure customer retention. And even worse, say they invest in developing in 3.x given the lack of communication, spend their budget and then 4.0 gets released with functionality they just spent on an inferior solution. Now you have completely turned off, pissed off, and disappointed your customer and also impacted their business' bottom line and strategy.

Exxxactly!

I appreciate that, but the issue is if IP discovered a bug and missed the scheduled release date. Everybody would be complaining about IPS 4.0 being delayed. However, they also need to understand that if they don't want IPS 4.0 to have the same fate as VBulletin (bug ridden), then they need to just wait. I appreciate that many would like a date - but let's be honest, it's better than if it was released buggy.

If IPS released a bug free product every time under this policy... I might cut them some slack.... but they don't (nor am I expecting completely bug free) so "When it's ready" is really "When the damn thing doesn't completely crash, but still has some bugs"

• Management

If IPS released a bug free product every time under this policy... I might cut them some slack.... but they don't (nor am I expecting completely bug free) so "When it's ready" is really "When the damn thing doesn't completely crash, but still has some bugs"

You discovered our secret strategy. It's not like we're spending time thinking through every feature, polishing every interface, benchmarking, reviewing client feedback, testing, re-testing, reconsidering feedback, and so on. We just don't want it to crash. That's it.

I think most people would be shocked what's involved in developing a web app used by millions of people each day. I know whenever we hire new staff within a few days they say "wow it sure is a different world from the inside looking out." Right, Ryan?

You discovered our secret strategy. It's not like we're spending time thinking through every feature, polishing every interface, benchmarking, reviewing client feedback, testing, re-testing, reconsidering feedback, and so on. We just don't want it to crash. That's it.

Well... in between making "cute" comments about customers questions that have an effect on their businesses... I'm sure you would appreciate such a comment from your data center operator as much as I did.

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

I beta test it daily... does that count? ;)

• Management

Actually along my same thought in my last reply we do a lot of reviewing client feedback then re-thinking it again later. We will implement something clients have requested then later say "well maybe this isn't what they really want."

What I mean by that is a client may say "I want the ability to only allow people to comment on something once" and we add a setting to do that.

Then later we say "oh... what the client really wants is a review system." It's the same idea as comments but then suddenly instead of making "comments" act like "reviews" you end up with a fully-featured, though-out, polished review system :smile:

Of course now take a step back and think about all the time and effort that went into making that simple sentence I just typed go from concept to working system we can blog about. It's pretty amazing :smile: ... and don't forget that we have a policy that when we blog about something it's because it's working. We don't do mockups or tech demos like some places. When we show you something it's real. Sure it might mean we take longer to post it but when we do you can be confident.

• Management

Well... in between making "cute" comments about customers questions that have an effect on their businesses... I'm sure you would appreciate such a comment from your data center operator as much as I did.

I can see how you would perceive that but when people ask the same question over and over just because they don't like the answer then all I have left is my adorable nature. I cannot shut it off. I'm like a puppy.

Doesn't seem as though anyone has read the 'Announcement' at the top the forum from Charles: Quote -

http://community.invisionpower.com/forum-486/announcement-30-what-new-in-ips-community-suite-40/

So looks like we're going to be in April/May from that announcement.

:tongue:

Well, so is the policy of no timeline releases. So it looks like you can't help it.

Look up, that should be more than enough information to make a business decision. :smile:

Archived