When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

1. Latest blog posts have been excellent and much appreciated!!
  2. Theme looks good - simple & clean but not fugly and spartan like VB5...
  3. It sounds like a LOT of the apprehension being expressed on this thread surrounds IP.Content... sooner we can get some blog posts spelling out what's going on with it, the better!

#3 is my main concern as well because that's where I want to have most of the development work done and it's also the most likely to break custom work in a 4.0 upgrade. IPS has been doing forums for years.. I have every confidence that the upgrade to that part of my site and the galleries part of my site will go smoothly.... so much so that it doesn't even register on my concern-o-meter. They'll get that right, they always do.

Content, as probably the youngest app in the suite, is the big question mark for me.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I beta test it daily... does that count? ;)

But you haven't submitted any bug reports yet, no wonder we haven't got a beta yet. You're so lazy :tongue:

Screenshot%202014-02-22%2000.19.51.png

Yes, I realize they probarbly submit bugs internally for now and there are bugs submitted in the IP.Board bug category and so on that are for 4.0.

But you haven't submitted any bug reports yet, no wonder we haven't got a beta yet. You're so lazy :tongue:

Yes, I realize they probarbly submit bugs internally for now and there are bugs submitted in the IP.Board bug category and so on that are for 4.0.

Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist :P

Oh trust me, Charles has submitted plenty of bug reports!

Sweet.

Maybe you could have a 'contest' where the first person not part of your staff to submit a confirmed bug in IPS 4 gets a prize! If you do it properly you'll never have to give it out! :D

I realize there will always be bugs, I'm a developer myself.

My issues with IPS has never ever been about the software, or even the ticket support.... but with the attitude I get during interactions with the staff.

When I was 24, I wanted and had the means for a new Cadillac. I knew exactly the model I wanted and stopped at a dealer that had the car with my exactly desired specifications. The salesman decided not to take "this 24 year old kid in ripped jeans and baseball hat" seriously and instead tried to steer me towards a used Saturn or Pontiac. Even more unfortunately, this dealership had been doing the service on my Oldsmobile for years.

Guess who I didn't buy the car from even though it was exactly what I wanted..... I went to another dealer across town. They had a similar one that was missing a feature or two, but was mostly right. They treated me like gold, answered all my questions and didn't treat me like I was a nuisance.

Not only did I buy the car from them, but two years later I went back and bought a truck from them.

I feel like I'm dealing with the first dealership whenever I have interactions with IPS staff (as already has been demonstrated in this thread).

Switching out of a forum software is much more difficult that switching car dealerships..... and I hope I never have to do it... but gosh you guys make it hard to stick around.

Not sure I'm getting your analogy in the slightest. If you think your treated like a "nuisance" on here I would seriously suggest switching software to one of the others, but before you go I will say only one thing. "I'll see you when you get back".

Oh trust me, Charles has submitted plenty of bug reports!

Damn ants, always keep coming back. Braford didn't spray that much and Rhett that dance don't work. Rikki your suarround by toons! :O

It's a good sign - we're taking QA more seriously than ever.

Changes and feedback?! :O

Must be nice to have unlimited time and budget for development so that you can do it all twice.

Assumption is rarely realistic. Of course this all depends on your business plan as well. Are we looking at our goals or someone els's ? Interesting question is it not ?

Only in an afforadble product such as IPB do we see people pushing for someone to develop for them. If the costs were 10x what they are, or should be, just imagine what SMF or Vanilla would be today. Before letting emotions get in the way think about that for a moment.

What I would like to see is a massive expansion to nexus, bringing IPB into the eCommerce field. As sales aside ad revinue is what fuels possible longevity of a site. That said I could care less what the 'skin' or backend looks like, I'll deal with this on my own. Sure my opinion there is one sided yet my point remains, take a proven product that they have worked diligently on, and jam something completely new over it , just to realize nothing they stood on others shoulders for ( mods - hooks ect.. ) work, and they must rework everything.

I'll stick with what I have , work on that, when 4.0.1 is released I'll toss up a dev site and begin migrating my idea's into the new format. This way I'm not ignoring what's in front of me and chasing my tail.

Again, not asking for that. I just want to know how and when to invest development dollars in the most efficient fashion. i don't really care if it is 2016 before we see 4.0 (yes I do). I just want to know the approximate "when" so I know what money to spend.

If 2018 is ok too, you might consider waiting for 5.0.

Well considering we're almost into the third month of the year of 2014, that's a pretty safe bet. :P

I'm happy to see it whenever it comes out because the added flexibility, features, design, etc. look fantastic!

Also if people read this http://community.invisionpower.com/forum-305/announcement-30-what-new-in-ips-community-suite-40/ they would see its set now to Q2, so keeping my fingers crossed that it will be Q2.

Any chance we can get some info about whether the mark as read functionality from the forums will be rolled out to other apps?
For example, if you click on a notification about replies to a forum topic, you are taken to the the last comment/reply that you have read, which makes following really long multi-page topic easy.

In other apps (IP.Blog etc) when you click on a notification it takes you to the original content, NOT to where you had left off reading the replies/comments.

My guess/assumption is that given the way all the apps are being standardized to use the same functionality, this is something that will BE standard across the entire suite, but knowing if it is or not would have a significant impact on something we may want to talk about with a potential client in the next few days about a future project. I understand if it's something you want to leave for a future blog post, but I'd appreciate knowing the answer if it's something you DO feel comfortable answering. :)

James

Any chance we can get some info about whether the mark as read functionality from the forums will be rolled out to other apps?
For example, if you click on a notification about replies to a forum topic, you are taken to the the last comment/reply that you have read, which makes following really long multi-page topic easy.
In other apps (IP.Blog etc) when you click on a notification it takes you to the original content, NOT to where you had left off reading the replies/comments.

My guess/assumption is that given the way all the apps are being standardized to use the same functionality, this is something that will BE standard across the entire suite, but knowing if it is or not would have a significant impact on something we may want to talk about with a potential client in the next few days about a future project. I understand if it's something you want to leave for a future blog post, but I'd appreciate knowing the answer if it's something you DO feel comfortable answering. :)

James

I thought this was already a thing.

I thought this was already a thing.

Do you mean it's already in the current stable? Or that it's already announced as part of 4.0?
It's certainly possible I've just missed a config option, but going by the notifications here (as an example everyone has access to), if you follow a given Blog Entry about 4.0, clicking the notification that a new comment has been left takes you to the Entry in question at the top of page one, while clicking a notification for a n update to this topic (for instance) jumps you to the last post/reply that you haven't yet read.
Some clarification would be great, and if it's just that I've been looking at something and not seeing it all this time, well, it would be FAR from the first time. ;)

James

Archived