When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

Do you mean it's already in the current stable? Or that it's already announced as part of 4.0?
It's certainly possible I've just missed a config option, but going by the notifications here (as an example everyone has access to), if you follow a given Blog Entry about 4.0, clicking the notification that a new comment has been left takes you to the Entry in question at the top of page one, while clicking a notification for a n update to this topic (for instance) jumps you to the last post/reply that you haven't yet read.
Some clarification would be great, and if it's just that I've been looking at something and not seeing it all this time, well, it would be FAR from the first time. ;)

James

Idk. Your posts are really long and redundant so I don't bother reading them. I just kind of skim. What I got from it was that you were asking for item marking to be available throughout the suite and it already is.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's wrong with it? Because of this topic we got all those blog entries from last week.

i highly doubt that the blog entries were because of this topic,im quite happy just to wait till its ready i dont need to keep asking when it will be here,that is all i am trying to say here on the matter really.

i highly doubt that the blog entries were because of this topic,im quite happy just to wait till its ready i dont need to keep asking when it will be here,that is all i am trying to say here on the matter really.

Except it was. Charles thought it would shut us up apparently.

But he was wrong.

And then he cried.

Puppy tears.

• Management

My issues with IPS has never ever been about the software, or even the ticket support.... but with the attitude I get during interactions with the staff.

When I was 24, I wanted and had the means for a new Cadillac. I knew exactly the model I wanted and stopped at a dealer that had the car with my exactly desired specifications. The salesman decided not to take "this 24 year old kid in ripped jeans and baseball hat" seriously and instead tried to steer me towards a used Saturn or Pontiac. Even more unfortunately, this dealership had been doing the service on my Oldsmobile for years.

Guess who I didn't buy the car from even though it was exactly what I wanted..... I went to another dealer across town. They had a similar one that was missing a feature or two, but was mostly right. They treated me like gold, answered all my questions and didn't treat me like I was a nuisance.

Not only did I buy the car from them, but two years later I went back and bought a truck from them.

I feel like I'm dealing with the first dealership whenever I have interactions with IPS staff (as already has been demonstrated in this thread).

Switching out of a forum software is much more difficult that switching car dealerships..... and I hope I never have to do it... but gosh you guys make it hard to stick around.

I'm sorry you feel that is the case here. It's certainly not an attitude we want to promote. Sometimes we get asked questions that we don't yet have the answer to, or the answer is still being worked out. Development is a very organic process. We can work out when to plant the seeds and where to plant them, but outside factors always affect how quickly things grow and develop so while we have a rough idea when we're ready to harvest, we can't be absolutely sure of a date.

All I can do is reiterate that IPS 4.0 is further along that most think and that we have a really talented and creative team working full time and each line of code is added with passion and love for the software.

We're very careful in what we say, as our words once committed to screen, become gospel which is quoted and discussed in microscopic detail. That's fine and we understand why it happens, but we're keen that the right message is conveyed.

Back on point, the announcement at the top of this forum contains our latest IPS 4 release date estimations. No one is keener than us to release IPS 4, trust me!

Keep in mind that, as long as your license is active, product updates are free of charge. If you buy IP.Board now, you can update later on without having to buy a new license. :thumbsup:

This is exactly why we don't publish release dates. We are free to continue working on it until, as others have said, it is ready. Not rushed to release on schedule or disappoint when we miss a schedule. We release when it's ready. :thumbsup:

I am not really in a hurry, the current version works pretty well. The only thing I am missing is better integration with other software, multiple accounts to one email and that you punch xenforo in the nose with somethng awesome. ;)

I'm sorry you feel that is the case here. It's certainly not an attitude we want to promote. Sometimes we get asked questions that we don't yet have the answer to, or the answer is still being worked out. Development is a very organic process. We can work out when to plant the seeds and where to plant them, but outside factors always affect how quickly things grow and develop so while we have a rough idea when we're ready to harvest, we can't be absolutely sure of a date.

All I can do is reiterate that IPS 4.0 is further along that most think and that we have a really talented and creative team working full time and each line of code is added with passion and love for the software.

We're very careful in what we say, as our words once committed to screen, become gospel which is quoted and discussed in microscopic detail. That's fine and we understand why it happens, but we're keen that the right message is conveyed.

Back on point, the announcement at the top of this forum contains our latest IPS 4 release date estimations. No one is keener than us to release IPS 4, trust me!

Thank you for your reply... but my frustration is not limited to the 4.0 release... it was simply a convenient demonstration vehicle as those exact type of interactions had been demonstrated in this very thread. I know that you guys care about the software you produce... it is evident by the rush to defense of the product whenever anyone has a criticism or bug report. I don't know if there is history in the bug tracker, but I've seen a number of things raised there that go from "cannot reproduce" to "not a bug" to "confirmed" to "Will fix in 4.0" as us customers keep hammering on you guys about it.... .and I've even had IPS blame Google for an issue regarding errors Google is seeing. I had a ticket open for that one and eventually abandoned it because I was tired of fighting IPS on it. I really does make me feel like IPS treats us as a nuisance.

I realized this is off topic here... but just expanding on what I posted earlier.

It's a tough spot, as I've mentioned in other replies. IPS wants to broadcast upcoming software, but users/clients don't want/expect (whether realistic or not) over a year for it to be released.

The question is, what does IPS lose by waiting to officially announce the next version, especially when they don't have any way to predict an accurate timeline for it? What advantage is there in such announcements versus just waiting until you can definitively (or very closely) post a release timeline?

I totally understand the work involved in a complete product overhaul, architecturally and technically. I just feel like, to a degree, the announcement and impending client desire for 4.0 was a bit premature?

Obviously a good number (if not all) of us will wait until the bitter end for it...but it would be so much nicer if that timeframe was months instead of 1-2 years.
The natives wouldn't get quite as restless :smile:

Matt - everyone appreciates the work being done and that there are best intentions from the IPS team, which consists of a group of very smart people. The problem is that many have hoped that we wouldn't experience the same vacuum which permeates other places like vBulletin. Even those who are highly experienced can benefit from the input of different and fresh set of eyes, e.g. real world experienced webmasters with large functioning sites who provide the free focus groups that IPS seems to feel it does not need. What would really be a huge disappointment is to find out how far along IPS 4.0 may have come only to discover it isn't a feasible solution for our existing sites.

Answers as to how IPS (and most certainly IPC) will handle URLs and where components can or must be installed are of great concern to any established site. Others probably have critical questions that should be answered without giving away the secret sauce. Where there is silence on these issues, it makes us more concerned and possibly more prone to making a decision earlier rather than waiting for an already prolonged time and still indefinite period of time. Thanks for listening and allowing the conversation.

It's a tough spot, as I've mentioned in other replies. IPS wants to broadcast upcoming software, but users/clients don't want/expect (whether realistic or not) over a year for it to be released.

The question is, what does IPS lose by waiting to officially announce the next version, especially when they don't have any way to predict an accurate timeline for it? What advantage is there in such announcements versus just waiting until you can definitively (or very closely) post a release timeline?

I totally understand the work involved in a complete product overhaul, architecturally and technically. I just feel like, to a degree, the announcement and impending client desire for 4.0 was a bit premature?

Obviously a good number (if not all) of us will wait until the bitter end for it...but it would be so much nicer if that timeframe was months instead of 1-2 years.
The natives wouldn't get quite as restless :smile:

I can certainly understand your point of view. I guess it's difficult to explain, but we are kind of in a fish bowl. We have always been very open about what we're doing (that stems back to our days of being free software I suppose). We are a close-knit team that interacts with customers frequently. So it'd be difficult for us to spend a year working on IPS4 without saying anything - people would know what's up anyway. I think people who have been here a while also have a feel for what our release patterns are like too, so they'd already have a sense that the 3.x series was coming to an end and that a major update was next on our list.

I hope that makes sense. We're in a situation that needs balance - we take pride in being more interactive than most companies would be, but have to try and tie that into the breathing space we need for such a major overhaul (IPS4 is the biggest project we've ever undertaken).

It's also quite a competitive market. A competitor can release a new major version of their software (and then subsequently release 33 betas... but whatever), so in order to keep people interested in IPS products, IPS releases a few details on the next version. Is it a bit early? It could be. But a major x.0 release takes a lot more time than a 3.x or 4.x release. It also appears that this suite is going through one of the biggest evolutions, ever (at least from my point-of-view).

I think it also has to do with IPS Staff getting excited about the new version as it evolves. I imagine they are just as excited to push the next version out as you or I will be when we get our hands on it. :smile:

Archived