WordPress IPSConnect

Marcher Technologies

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to be sure that this plugin is (finally, after a long time of waiting) what i need, before buying it could please confirm that:

1) It does let you register from the wordpress and/or forum side, even when using wordpress multisite

2) It does post a new topic on a specific forum, chosen by the wordpress post category and/or the wordpress blog (when using multisite)

3) It does let you comment either through forum or wordpress, making these comments appear on both sides

Thanks

Just to be sure that this plugin is (finally, after a long time of waiting) what i need, before buying it could please confirm that:

1) It does let you register from the wordpress and/or forum side, even when using wordpress multisite

2) It does post a new topic on a specific forum, chosen by the wordpress post category and/or the wordpress blog (when using multisite)

3) It does let you comment either through forum or wordpress, making these comments appear on both sides

Thanks

Apparently not.

1) No, all front-end registration is pushed through IPB, due to the fact on User Registration to Wordpress it randomly generates the user password, then has the absolute gall to not pass that random password to any hook in the area, multi-site or not.

2) Somebody should have been more precise about the need, it stands as a global setting beyond any single blog in MU only accessible to network admin.

3) http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/376502-download-mt34-wordpress-ipsconnect/?p=2378350 to do the IPB posts posted from IPB pulled I'm going to need to completely replace the wordpress comments list.

1) But registered users can login through wordpress?

2) I don't understand: can't you specify the forum based on post category/blog?

3) But will this feature come in (near) future versions?

1) Yes, of course, whether they exist local to WordPress yet or not(it will create them when they do so if not) .

2) Not at this time, it is a global-to-the-install config.

3) Yes, same answer for 2.

If you don't already know it maybe you should take a look at this wordpress mod, which does auto-create posts based on category (but not on blogs if on multisite) and "catches" IPB posts to make them appear as wordpress comments, replacing wp comment system.

If you don't already know it maybe you should take a look at this wordpress mod, which does auto-create posts based on category (but not on blogs if on multisite) and "catches" IPB posts to make them appear as wordpress comments, replacing wp comment system.

now why would I want to base my code, or even design, upon a: another developers code, b: code not designed to run on separate servers

thanks, I'll use the XML-RPC API to get the data I need just fine, add to it as needed. I won't be requiring IPB libraries directly from WordPress in this modification.

I'll get the additions done, and cleanly, supporting both MU and separate server usage, enough really said.

Based on category was never mentioned.... by... like... anyone to me until now, so you are surprised I did not have it?

Not a mind-reader.... adding the features desired, but seriously.... if a mod exists for it... why..... am I..... ???

::stops self:: Adding it, enough.

Relax man, there's no need to be sarcastic. I just wanted to know exactly the features your mod actually has and then i mentioned a wordpress mod that i tought could be useful to look at.

I didn't make any request, nor I meant to... not the best way to treat a possible customer.

Anyone now i have the information i needed, thanks.

Relax man, there's no need to be sarcastic. I just wanted to know exactly the features your mod actually has and then i mentioned a wordpress mod that i tought could be useful to look at.

I didn't make any request, nor I meant to... not the best way to treat a possible customer.

Anyone now i have the information i needed, thanks.

:/ apologies, it's a useful suggestion, I never said it wasn't, even stated I will include such an option shortly. :smile:

Generally speaking.... I am quite a bit outside the bend in what I support regarding WordPress being on a wholly different server with no access directly to IPB at all, and I have to be, my own demo runs thus..... and such is considered a literal security feature one won't find in another WordPress bridge, thus, much code that assumes server-side IPB access is useless, thus I refer to the action and filter documentation directly for what I need WordPress-wise, and depend on IPConnect and XML-RPC IPB-wise.

Realistically, I doubt I could get that plugin to even run against my local dev enviro(which is tethered to my demo board)..... so is not a useful bit of code for me to go looking at.

Hey Marcher, do you know off hand if there is an EASY way one could push the recent ipb new topics/new posts into the WP/buddy press activity feed? I've heard a "bbpress" forum plugin does this. This probably is not a highly requested feature though, I'm sure, so banging your head against the wall may not be worth it :D

In the meantime, I'll setup the new post to forum option. Thanks!!

Hi,

I would like to give this a go on a new site.

Currently my wordpress site is running from the domain root.

Does it matter how I install the invision forum?

Can I just create a /forums folder and install IPB there.

Will all connect together OK with wordpress being loaded by default when a user hits the site?

Hi,

I would like to give this a go on a new site.

Currently my wordpress site is running from the domain root.

Does it matter how I install the invision forum?

Can I just create a /forums folder and install IPB there.

Will all connect together OK with wordpress being loaded by default when a user hits the site?

no, it doesn't matter beyond SSO not supported/working if a different domain is used, yes, that would work fine.

Sorry for n00b questions. Just want to clarify. Apologies.

1. WP is on domain.com. IPB is on forums.domain.com. That doesn't matter right?

2. How do WordPress comments work? Do the avatars match up?

3. When clicking on a user's name in WordPress, does it re-direct to the IPB profile or their contributions to the site like WP's default? That's usually at domain.com/author/username. I notice in wp.marchertech.com it does the former. Can I change that?

4. How do I merge current accounts? Myself and 10+ others have accounts on WP + IP.Board. Do usernames have to be changed?

5. When clicking on an IPB profile of a user who has the role Contributor or above, is there a way I could pull all their WP posts, or least have a link in the profile somewhere automatically "View all website contributions"

1. simply ensure your IPB cookie domain is .domain.com, correct, it does not matter.

2. not as yet, this particular option will come with the total arbitrary replacement of the wp comments list with posts pulled from IPB for the topic generated.

3. this is an option 'swap UCP links' which only affects the current user, I am going to assume multi-site is in use in your case(as with it off.... no profile is ever linked as such(the userpane link goes to edit their profile in wp-admin) and that URL 404's) and that specific option is not supported in MU, you would always have the latter.

4. Login Type selected must match on both sides, meaning if you select email, I will be looking for an email match, username, same. If this is the case...

Do Nothing. I mean that literally.... the instant the plugin is enabled and running these users would be authorizing against their IPB accounts.

Otherwise, yes, you would need to match the account details where the value of the 'login type' differs.

5. I am trying very hard to limit what I do from the IPB end, with a reason(or two). While pulling data from the master installation from the slave is sane and simple, the reverse is not at all.... for all I know(and could care at this point) one could have multiple WordPress installs as slave of the same master.... which would I pull?

The second reason is simple..... unlike IPB, which has XML-RPC, WP has no sane API structure for such a cross-server pull, I would end up building such, the entire framework.

1. simply ensure your IPB cookie domain is .domain.com, correct, it does not matter.

2. not as yet, this particular option will come with the total arbitrary replacement of the wp comments list with posts pulled from IPB for the topic generated.

3. this is an option 'swap UCP links' which only affects the current user, I am going to assume multi-site is in use in your case(as with it off.... no profile is ever linked as such(the userpane link goes to edit their profile in wp-admin) and that URL 404's) and that specific option is not supported in MU, you would always have the latter.

4. Login Type selected must match on both sides, meaning if you select email, I will be looking for an email match, username, same. If this is the case...

Do Nothing. I mean that literally.... the instant the plugin is enabled and running these users would be authorizing against their IPB accounts.

Otherwise, yes, you would need to match the account details where the value of the 'login type' differs.

5. I am trying very hard to limit what I do from the IPB end, with a reason(or two). While pulling data from the master installation from the slave is sane and simple, the reverse is not at all.... for all I know(and could care at this point) one could have multiple WordPress installs as slave of the same master.... which would I pull?

The second reason is simple..... unlike IPB, which has XML-RPC, WP has no sane API structure for such a cross-server pull, I would end up building such, the entire framework.

RE: 5. This would be completely separate from the plug-in. Is there a way I could make a custom profile field that will parse URLs/HTML or something? So the custom field would ask for the input of your WP author url (http://domain.com/author/username) and on the profile page, it would say "View all site articles" and that would be a clickable link (to the author url). And I'd want the INPUT of the custom field visible only to a specific IP.Board member group (in this case, my group would be "Staff").

RE: 5. This would be completely separate from the plug-in. Is there a way I could make a custom profile field that will parse URLs/HTML or something? So the custom field would ask for the input of your WP author url (http://domain.com/author/username) and on the profile page, it would say "View all site articles" and that would be a clickable link (to the author url). And I'd want the INPUT of the custom field visible only to a specific IP.Board member group (in this case, my group would be "Staff").

does the custom hook i pm'ed you for this a... rather long time ago now I suppose(url-based CPF'S) no longer function?

A few questions...

1. I noticed that this plugin has "IPConnect" in the name...that's not part of the now deprecated IPS.Connect, is it?

2. Can permissions from IPB limit what users see on the WordPress end? Say if I had users that were subscribers in my forums (via Nexus), would I be able to exclude non-subscribers from seeing some parts of my WP site?

Thanks.

A few questions...

1. I noticed that this plugin has "IPConnect" in the name...that's not part of the now deprecated IPS.Connect, is it?

2. Can permissions from IPB limit what users see on the WordPress end? Say if I had users that were subscribers in my forums (via Nexus), would I be able to exclude non-subscribers from seeing some parts of my WP site?

Thanks.

1. you are confused, IP.Converge was depreciated, IPS.Connect is the replacement.

2. In a very simplistic manner at this time, yes, by denying login/sso through the groups configuration provided. then only allowing logged in WordPress users to view the content, a more full-fledged solution will be added at a later date.

1. you are confused, IP.Converge was depreciated, IPS.Connect is the replacement.

2. In a very simplistic manner at this time, yes, by denying login/sso through the groups configuration provided. then only allowing logged in WordPress users to view the content, a more full-fledged solution will be added at a later date.

1. My bad, had them backwards. :)

2. Good to hear. Will look into the groups configuration and look forward to this being added at a later date. :thumbsup:

In IPSConnect currently, our users are unable to access the "Biographical info" in their Wordpress profile...

Since we're an online magazine, the bios are drawn from there and are pretty important to us.

Is there any way we can make this field editable for them, somewhere?

Archived