WordPress IPSConnect

Marcher Technologies

Possible for you to check our set up to be sure?

He did some customizing for us, we'd discussed using display names instead but I can't recall what we ended up doing.

:sad: sure.... but, I cannot truly be sure at all though was what I meant by tentatively(as in, by the data given it should be ok, but..... untested), and if display name was used instead you are OOL, IPS.Connect won't auth against it, and with good reason, generally the display name is the weakest identifier in any script.... as such I would doubt Alex would go ahead with it TBH, I'd be more expectant of email as 'key', something I am adding as an option anyway.

I can, however, do a full-scale test of the auth alone(yes, I can pull out the xml-rpc/widgets in a snap ;) ) on a clone of your wordpress against your master if required.... PM me access details to a super-admin account on the wordpress clone, an admin account on the the IPB master(or the details for IPSconnect with the assurance it is ON from the master), and the wordpress clone's FTP dir details.... I will have to delete the plugin from the clone after the test however...... as a warning to all, first to screw me on this ruins it for all, I will not be offering such a pre-sales test again after(not aimed at you specifically Sat0ri, just needs said :smile: ).

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MT, thanks for your great support. I've been doing some more testing. Trying to find an alternative to Wishlist Member. Right now, I'm testing "Premise" membership system with good results and integration with your modification.

As I mentioned before, I will be using your modification with a WordPress database that has over 3,500 registered users and a brand new IPB forum that is starting with 0 registered users. I'm trying to find a solution for two issues I'm running into with your modification:

1.) If an existing WP user hasn't logged in yet to create their account in IPB and a new user registers on IPB with that existing WP user's username or email, when that existing WP user eventually goes to login with their username, their account won't be able to be created to IPB and integrate because the account is technically taken. Is there a way to write a "check" into your modification that could check a new user registering to IPB with the usernames or email that already exist in the WP database?

2.) If an existing WP member forgets their password before logging into IPB to create their account, they have no way of resetting their password from WP since the "Lost Password" link on the WP login form redirects to IPB's password rest. However, the user can't reset their password from IPB since their WP account has not been created to the IPB database.

Again, many, many thanks for your fantastic support.

Oh boy.

working on 2, the reason it was swapped out was more of necessity due to not having the password WP generates for them..... seeing if I can get a-hold of that and make it optional.

1.... is dicey... I think you force me to build and include a master.for wordpress, not the other way around as it is now, as an option.... otherwise... 1 is not even remotely possible from a slave.

Hrm, looked further.

Wordpress, user name is Elation...

post-35543-0-11488600-1361829536_thumb.p

IPB side, DISPLAY name is Elation, different username...

post-35543-0-75709200-1361829569_thumb.p

Looks like the switch to your mod would *not* be seamless, eh?

==

This brings up a scenario... If we install your SSO mod and it starts creating the new accounts on WP with each login, what happens when it runs into pre-existing accounts with the same email addresses?

==

Do you have a suggestion on how we might overcome the problem(s)?

1 - Something with changing fields in the database(s)

2 - Manual change of authors on the WP side afterward

Thanks again, really hoping we can make this work.

Hrm, looked further.

Wordpress, user name is Elation...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-02-25 at 1.59.10 PM.png

IPB side, DISPLAY name is Elation, different username...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-02-25 at 1.58.52 PM.png

Looks like the switch to your mod would *not* be seamless, eh?

==

This brings up a scenario... If we install your SSO mod and it starts creating the new accounts on WP with each login, what happens when it runs into pre-existing accounts with the same email addresses?

==

Do you have a suggestion on how we might overcome the problem(s)?

1 - Something with changing fields in the database(s)

2 - Manual change of authors on the WP side afterward

Thanks again, really hoping we can make this work.

>.> ok.

a, adding native email support(no XML-RPC needed). as an option for auth.

b, adding a fallback that will require XML-RPC to lookup master member id by display name to use as connect_id in the ipsconnect call for auth.

you will only be able to use one of the three(username, email, or display name) at any one time, does not and will not affect SSO obviously.

Hi,

I've installed the plugin and I think I followed the instructions correctly, but now I'm unable to log in to my WP.

Fairly certain you did not...

Handy tip: In case of lockout(bad configuration is generally a cause) in your ftp, find and delete or move wp-contentpluginsipsconnectwp-ips-connect.php

This will basically stop my plugin from firing, can re-upload or move it back once into wp-admin, and reconfigure.

That shouldn't happen though :/ I'd need to look over the config you put in and be sure there's nothing wonky on WP/IPB side of it.

Found a possible nitpick low priority "bug". When in IPB ACP, choosing to "login as a user" option in the members tab does not SSO to the WP. Said user is logged into IPB as expected, but not on WP.

Not much of an issue since I never use the thing, but I wanted to shoot it over to you.

PS: Thanks for all the juicy updates!

Found a possible nitpick low priority "bug". When in IPB ACP, choosing to "login as a user" option in the members tab does not SSO to the WP. Said user is logged into IPB as expected, but not on WP.

Not much of an issue since I never use the thing, but I wanted to shoot it over to you.

PS: Thanks for all the juicy updates!

:smile: That is intentional and done by IPS, not me.

Fairly certain you did not...

Handy tip: In case of lockout(bad configuration is generally a cause) in your ftp, find and delete or move wp-contentpluginsipsconnectwp-ips-connect.php

This will basically stop my plugin from firing, can re-upload or move it back once into wp-admin, and reconfigure.

That shouldn't happen though :/ I'd need to look over the config you put in and be sure there's nothing wonky on WP/IPB side of it.

Ok, so this is what I did.

Uploaded the plugin to the WP plugin dir and activated it. My wp is in my root and my forum is in a subdirectory /forum/

I obtained the URL and key from Admin CP --> System --> Log In Management (from the green info box)

I head over to the WP ipsconnect setting page and fill in the details:

Master URL: http://www.mysite.com/forum/interface/ipsconnect/ipsconnect.php

Master key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Login type: username

Return Url Post-Logout: http://www.mysite.com

Hide Admin: selected

Swap UCP: selected

I do Step 5 and copy the Master XML-RPC API Key to the WP ipsconnect setting page.

When obtaining the url and key, do I also have to do this:

Setting up the slave

To set up your IPS Connect network, you simply need to input this information into the Admin CP on your slave installation.

To do this:

• Go to Admin CP --> System --> Log In Management on your slave application.
  • You will see a module called "IPS Connect" - click the pencil icon to edit it, and toggle the "Log In Enabled" setting to "Yes".
  • Now click the icon next to the pencil icon for "IPS Connect", which looks like a cog - copy and paste the IPS Connect URL and Key which you obtained from your master application and.

Ok, so this is what I did.

Uploaded the plugin to the WP plugin dir and activated it. My wp is in my root and my forum is in a subdirectory /forum/

I obtained the URL and key from Admin CP --> System --> Log In Management (from the green info box)

I head over to the WP ipsconnect setting page and fill in the details:

Master URL: http://www.mysite.com/forum/interface/ipsconnect/ipsconnect.php

Master key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Login type: username

Return Url Post-Logout: http://www.mysite.com

Hide Admin: selected

Swap UCP: selected

I do Step 5 and copy the Master XML-RPC API Key to the WP ipsconnect setting page.

When obtaining the url and key, do I also have to do this:

no, if you did that, here's your sign , Don't Do That(namely, configuring the master as a slave of the master), this *is* a slave, that is not a part of the install, enabling the IP.Connect login module in the master, however, is indeed required.

Ok, then how do I configure this plugin to work? The description that comes with it is pretty confusing.

Step 1: Get Master Url/Key

If your Master is IPB, a good guide on this is Here
If Not, consult the documentation/author of your master application for where to obtain these details.

Step 2: Upload Plugin

In Your FTP Program, navigate to the WordPress 'Root' directory.
(where /wp-admin/, /wp-content/, /wp-includes/ and such are listed.)
Upload the contents of the included /upload/ directory to this directory.

Step 3: Activate Plugin

Visit The WordPress Admin 'Plugins' Page, Activate the '(MT) WordPress IPSConnect' Plugin.

Step 4: Configure Settings: SSO

Visit the WordPress Admin 'Settings' => '(MT) IPSConnect' Page.
Fill In the 'Master URL' and 'Master Key' you obtained in Step 1.
Fill In the 'Return Url Post-Logout'(this is also used when WordPress gets all confused with wp-admin/redirects).
If not using the provided widgets/display name login or IPB is NOT the Master install, skip to step 7.

Step 5: Configure Settings: IPB Master XML-RPC

Visit The IPB Master Admin 'System' => 'Tools & Settings' => 'API Users' Page.
Ensure The XML-RPC API Is Enabled.
If you see a Red 'DISABLED' Button, Click it and enable the API.
Click 'Create New User' or Edit an Existing User and Grant access to ALL of the following functions:
'fetchMember', 'fetchStats', 'fetchForums', 'fetchForumsOptionList', and 'fetchTopics'.
Collect that User's 'API Key' from the same page after creating/editing the API User, you will need this for step 6.

Step 6: Configure Settings: WordPress XML-RPC Widgets

Visit the WordPress Admin 'Settings' => '(MT) IPSConnect' Page.
Fill In the 'Master XML-RPC API Key' with the 'API Key' you obtained in Step 6. 3 New WordPress Widgets ('Topics', 'Forums', and 'Statistics') will now be available for configuration and re-use.

Step 7: Configure Settings: General

Configure the rest of the options listed on the WordPress Admin 'Settings' => '(MT) IPSConnect' Page as needed/desired.

Please.... how to clarify? what is unclear? upload, enable, get the master URL and key, put them in the settings, point the logout url setting at wordpress root url, and save.

This is the bare minimum configuration.

Hi,

When I activate the latest topic widget I get this error:

Fatal error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /home/******/public_html/******/wp-content/plugins/ipsconnect/widgets/topics.php on line 52

weird... that's not a string, it is initialized as an array, cast as an array, populated as an array... regardless, I went ahead and reworked the widgets code a bit more to avoid this possibility.

Hi, just bought and downloaded this mod... Nothing about using Display Names though, I thought this was added?

User Login Type setting, Username[1], Email[1], or Display Name[1][3].

Nothing on the config page...

post-35543-0-12726300-1362160922_thumb.p

Let me know, thanks - anxious to get going. :)

Hi, just bought and downloaded this mod... Nothing about using Display Names though, I thought this was added?

Nothing on the config page...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-03-01 at 10.02.45 AM.png

Let me know, thanks - anxious to get going. :smile:

Hello,[3] That option will appear in that drop-down once the XML-RPC is configured, I *need* it to support that, which IP.Connect does not.

Please re-read the readme for details, including which methods the API user needs access to, I did update that.

Got this up and running, I've got to say... It's simple, smooth and seamless - really super plugin. :)

Looking forward to sending my $20 every half year, worth every penny - thank you!!!

Also hoping you're able to work it out so the IPB avatar rolls over into WP (comments, author bio, etc).

Keep up the great work sir!

Archived