WordPress IPSConnect

Marcher Technologies

Hi Marcher!

First of all, thank you for building this amazing tool. I don't think it's expensive at all. It's a fair price for how much value it offers. It's ridiculous for people to ask you to work for any less. They couldn't do it themselves, if they could, they would sell their own version for a lower price and put you out of business :smile:. And you include support, so it's fantastic.

That's why I'm here.

I'm sure there's something I'm doing wrong, but for some reason, when I login through WP and then go to the forum, I'm not logged in on the forums. That's obviously the whole idea behind this system, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Also, I've had a few reports of incorrect password notifications when users try to login. They had to reset their password. Any idea what this is about and I I can fix it?

Can you help?

Thanks so much!

Scott

I need a bit more information actually.... same TLD or different? IPB DB charset(cries, this is going to be painful, I can already tell... thought I had squashed this :/)?

I may need to ask for access... last time this occurred it was an issue with the special characters IPB encrypts in a specific way... Now I wonder if there are special characters being used that IPB is NOT handling specially, that I need to :/.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Marcher!

First of all, thank you for building this amazing tool. I don't think it's expensive at all. It's a fair price for how much value it offers. It's ridiculous for people to ask you to work for any less. They couldn't do it themselves, if they could, they would sell their own version for a lower price and put you out of business :smile:. And you include support, so it's fantastic.

That's why I'm here.

I'm sure there's something I'm doing wrong, but for some reason, when I login through WP and then go to the forum, I'm not logged in on the forums. That's obviously the whole idea behind this system, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Also, I've had a few reports of incorrect password notifications when users try to login. They had to reset their password. Any idea what this is about and I I can fix it?

Can you help?

Thanks so much!

Scott

Truly... without being in any way offensive.... I need access to debug such.... by the several minutes viewing, and no response, I get the feeling you think I am unable/unwilling to help or support this... the opposite is true, it is simply a sad fact of such a modification that often one will need to resort to on-site debug in the exact circumstances to figure out what is occurring to be able to resolve such an issue, there is a reason the mod is priced as it is out the gate not listed, I knew from word go there would be unique configurations/situations possible that I have no way of replicating, and challenges presented with this modification often requiring one-to-one support and troubleshooting, and that is indeed included in purchase.... help me help you? :smile:

Yes, it is indeed supposed to log the user into the master on login, and for some reason(I may need to ask in contribs/IPS... it may be not explicitly stated but unsupported in IPSConnect itself, or there may be a bug afloat) I am noticing it is logging the user in on both with sub-domain, but is not logging the user into the master with differing domains... I am investigating why, as far as I can tell, I am redirecting the user to the master with the correct details be logged in properly on sucessful login to WP, which is authenticating the user/pass directly against the master IPB.
I have spent much time with the passwords with special characters such as $, and believe those to be resolved, if that is not the case, then I do need to know that, and the specifics of your configuration causing the mismatch, if there are more characters I am not handling specifically causing issues, I need to know that as well, and *which*.

I am saying kindly I can fix the password issue regardless, but not without access/details to pinpoint the actual issue, else am shuffling code blindly without a clue which char(s) is(are) the cause of the issue.

*please* sir, literally begging you, you are describing a bug with the passwords, I *need* to fix it, but I *need* access to find the actual issue at hand.... all purchasers of this mod have every right to PM me for support of this mod without me stating it, I *want* to know of any bugs, and I often *will* need access to pinpoint the cause(especially with password issues, see B.Money on Page 1, I worked with him to pinpoint the issue and thus patched the download itself) , and all benefit as a result of granting it.

Hi Marcher, plugin working great but I just notices some error messages in my WordPress error log.

Anything I can do to fix, is it problem with my WordPress?

[12-Feb-2013 14:44:08] PHP Fatal error:  Cannot use object of type WP_Error as array in *********/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ipsconnect/wp-ips-connect.php on line 151

Hi Marcher, plugin working great but I just notices some error messages in my WordPress error log.

Anything I can do to fix, is it problem with my WordPress?

[12-Feb-2013 14:44:08] PHP Fatal error:  Cannot use object of type WP_Error as array in *********/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ipsconnect/wp-ips-connect.php on line 151

no, that is not a problem with your wordpress, that is wp_remote_get and the annoying WP boilerplate being fun :dry: ... patched file uploaded.... you can fix it by uploading the updated file.

I need a bit more information actually.... same TLD or different? IPB DB charset(cries, this is going to be painful, I can already tell... thought I had squashed this :/)?

I may need to ask for access... last time this occurred it was an issue with the special characters IPB encrypts in a specific way... Now I wonder if there are special characters being used that IPB is NOT handling specially, that I need to :/.

I'm sorry for the trouble Marcher!

I can get give you any access information you need. Should I send a direct message? Just let me know what you need. Sorry I'm not as tech savvy as I'd like to be!

Scott

MT, I'm interested in purchasing your application, but I want to make sure it is right for me.

In my case, I have a very active WordPress community with over 3,000 registered users. As a new feature for my website, I want to release an IPB discussion forum. I've tried creating my own WordPress "master" application and setting up IPB as a slave, since all of my users are registered in my WordPress database. I'm banging my head up against a wall though and would be more than happy to pay for your application.

My understanding is that your application is setup so IPB is the master and WordPress is the slave. Would this cause any complications for me seeing that all of my members are registered to my WordPress database and I have no registered members to IPB?

MT, I'm interested in purchasing your application, but I want to make sure it is right for me.

In my case, I have a very active WordPress community with over 3,000 registered users. As a new feature for my website, I want to release an IPB discussion forum. I've tried creating my own WordPress "master" application and setting up IPB as a slave, since all of my users are registered in my WordPress database. I'm banging my head up against a wall though and would be more than happy to pay for your application.

My understanding is that your application is setup so IPB is the master and WordPress is the slave. Would this cause any complications for me seeing that all of my members are registered to my WordPress database and I have no registered members to IPB?

I actually hit such a scenario very very early on in development of this modification... namely, the installer of wordpress was not in IPB..... there are fallbacks to register the user in IPB upon successful login to wordpress locally in this scenario.... else the installer of wordpress could never login(oh.... this was just a big painful ball of ow btw).

Basically, I cannot foresee an issue in your usage.... the user would login, the slave would get no valid response from IPB, the password being valid for the user, the account would then be created in IPB, the rest would WAI.

If there is an issue discovered in said usage, I would necessarily need to fix it regardless, for the above mentioned reason... super-admin locked out is bad.

see PM... login/logout was freaking on IPB side... largely due to the fact you configured the IPB Master login method as a slave with the same details as the IPB Master(same install). :purple: Getting stuck in an infinite redirect loop on master logout.

i emptied the fields for the ipsConnect login module upon seeing they matched the current install.... both issues vanished.
There remains a wordpress plugin conflict or misconfiguration as my plugin never gets a chance to fire on wordpress logout as far as I can tell.... redirected elsewhere by another plugin.... I think it also interferes with my auth hook, i get redirect, but the password example given... it's not authing against IPB 100% properly... you have some 'attempts left' plugin on failed login one can hit that I am not generating.... I think control is being wrested from me in key places by another plugin.

I actually hit such a scenario very very early on in development of this modification... namely, the installer of wordpress was not in IPB..... there are fallbacks to register the user in IPB upon successful login to wordpress locally in this scenario.... else the installer of wordpress could never login(oh.... this was just a big painful ball of ow btw).

Basically, I cannot foresee an issue in your usage.... the user would login, the slave would get no valid response from IPB, the password being valid for the user, the account would then be created in IPB, the rest would WAI.

If there is an issue discovered in said usage, I would necessarily need to fix it regardless, for the above mentioned reason... super-admin locked out is bad.

Right on. Thanks for the response.

Just one more solution I'm trying to crack: the biggest part of my WordPress users is paying members that access premium content on my WP site. I use the WP plugin "Wishlist Member" to manage the membership system. Wishlist Member creates another WP user role called "Subscriber". These users are still stored in the WordPress database table "wp_users". For my IPB forum, ideally, I'd like to create private/exclusive forums for "Subscriber" roles.

With your modification, would it be possible to have it so when a WordPress user with the role "Subscriber" logs in to IPB for the first an IPB account is created to the IPB database where the user is apart of a "Subscriber" forum group that has access to the private "Subscriber" forum?

I realize this is getting kind of specific and maybe even outside the scope of your modification, but I was just curious if this was even the slightest bit possible (i.e. specific user roles, user groups).

EDIT: Just missed your previous post about Wishlist Member before I submitted mine. Yikes. Looks like I would run into some challenges. Any thoughts?

Just one more solution I'm trying to crack: the biggest part of my WordPress users is paying members that access premium content on my WP site. I use the WP plugin "Wishlist Member" to manage the membership system. Wishlist Member creates another WP user role called "Subscriber". These users are still stored in the WordPress database table "wp_users". For my IPB forum, ideally, I'd like to create private/exclusive forums for "Subscriber" roles.

With your modification, would it be possible to have it so when a WordPress user with the role "Subscriber" logs in to IPB for the first an IPB account is created to the IPB database where the user is apart of a "Subscriber" forum group that has access to the private "Subscriber" forum?

I realize this is getting kind of specific and maybe even outside the scope of your modification, but I was just curious if this was even the slightest bit possible (i.e. specific user roles, user groups).

EDIT: Just missed your previous post about Wishlist Member before I submitted mine. Yikes. Looks like I would run into some challenges. Any thoughts?

I'm still investigating... that was a quick warning thrown up upon discovery... digging into the code(I have no clue WHY it even needs to do *anything* like this redirect on logout, seems completely unrelated function not advertised on the tin).... the user I am investigating the issue with got locked out by some other wordpress plugin, as an additional note, brute-force login attempt plugins are redundant, and not only not required, but are counter-productive with this, IPB Master bruteforce controls handle this, and such a plugin would only auth local.

E: yeah, it's borked, that plugin is obfuscated to boot.... I cannot even view the source code, much less resolve the conflict....(the way in which this is done is utterly despicable, base64'd and eval'd!!!)

I would highly suggest not using that plugin ANYWAY, plugins like that one are a large contribution to wordpress hacks... user input is undoubtedly being handled here, in an eval call. (!)

That instantly makes that entire plugin suspect and highly vulnerable to script kiddies.... I'd rather see it encrypted with zend or ioncube than this gigantic security hole created merely to obfuscate the plugin code.

The only thoughts I have as such are to wait until I finish the enhancements using the XML-RPC API, and the additional XML-RPC API's(there are some specific needs the stock just won't cover)... I should be able to provide control to synch member primary groups->role to a certain extent at least, obviously certain high-power roles/groups would need to be off-limits.

Not a 'Happy Camper' is an understatement... IPB login modules/hooks and control of the execution order are a literal dream of compatibility compared to...... THIS.

I had S2member installed but removed it before using this hook just in case it caused issues. Instead I purchased IP Nexus and that now controls subscriptions and allows you then to set up parts of the forum which works great. For Wordpress I then used a plugin called Groups and moved the paying members to a group that allows access to certain parts of my Wordpress site. Unfortunately I have to move each member manually in and out of the groups as they subscribe or unsubscribe but I could not think of an easier way of doing it for now. This will be time consuming on a site with a large amount of members but no option at the moment.

I had S2member installed but removed it before using this hook just in case it caused issues. Instead I purchased IP Nexus and that now controls subscriptions and allows you then to set up parts of the forum which works great. For Wordpress I then used a plugin called Groups and moved the paying members to a group that allows access to certain parts of my Wordpress site. Unfortunately I have to move each member manually in and out of the groups as they subscribe or unsubscribe but I could not think of an easier way of doing it for now. This will be time consuming on a site with a large amount of members but no option at the moment.

As stated above... looking into options regarding automatically handling this... as you confirm the Groups plugin is sanely coded(and looking at the code of that plugin, I can confirm, seems the contrast between good and bad code is much higher in WP plugins) I'll look at that specifically for integration against... Roles of WP Stock are extremely limited in control of any kind.... Prefer more sane control myself to integrate against.

Marcher, we are thinking about using IPSConnect with our setup.

We will eventually be running the full IPS Suite, except using WordPress for our blog content instead of IP.Connect. We're trying to decide if we want a full bridge solution to enable generation of forum topics from blog posts. (I think I'm correct that you don't offer this feature yet, but it's something you'll work on for the future?)

The blog we want to coordinate with right now is powered by Directory Press (a directory of links to free crochet patterns).

We're also using a plugin called Role Scoper (to allow us to assign a WordPress editor with the capability to edit directory submissions, but see no other area of the WP admin area).

Have you ever encountered any issues with Directory Press or Role Scoper? If not, we'll probably end up giving this a try. I'm sure if we had problems, you'd help us get things working as quickly as you could.

Marcher, we are thinking about using IPSConnect with our setup.

We will eventually be running the full IPS Suite, except using WordPress for our blog content instead of IP.Connect. We're trying to decide if we want a full bridge solution to enable generation of forum topics from blog posts. (I think I'm correct that you don't offer this feature yet, but it's something you'll work on for the future?)

The blog we want to coordinate with right now is powered by Directory Press (a directory of links to free crochet patterns).

We're also using a plugin called Role Scoper (to allow us to assign a WordPress editor with the capability to edit directory submissions, but see no other area of the WP admin area).

Have you ever encountered any issues with Directory Press or Role Scoper? If not, we'll probably end up giving this a try. I'm sure if we had problems, you'd help us get things working as quickly as you could.

Not Quite this version, it *is* planned, but I think *any* will enjoy the features I just finished adding.... a warm-up if you will.

Version 1.0.4 is available for download.

This Version introduces a powerful and easy-to-use feature, Master IPB 'Forums', 'Topics', And 'Statistics' Wordpress Widgets With Data Caching Capabilities.

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&s

That^... is cached wordpress widgets pulling data from IPB.... Instructions are clearly laid out for installation and configuration of the required XM-RPC API User In the readme... the rest is drag-drop-configure.

Have you ever encountered any issues with Directory Press or Role Scoper? If not, we'll probably end up giving this a try. I'm sure if we had problems, you'd help us get things working as quickly as you could

While I have never encountered issues with those 2 plugins that means nothing honestly, I haven't yet tested against them or had a client report issue.

I do need to pick a WordPress group management plugin to dev against, realistically my choice depends much on low-level API options(and not being obfuscated with eval like a certain named plugin :rolleyes: ).

and yes, I will if there are any. :smile:

Hi MT, me again, uploaded new plugin version 1.04 and when I enable the widgets in wordpress I get the following errors displayed.

Warning: json_encode() expects exactly 1 parameter, 2 given in ********/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ipsconnect/widgets/forums.php on line 44

Catchable fatal error: Object of class stdClass could not be converted to string in **********/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ipsconnect/widgets/forums.php on line 96

Hmmm... Any chances to fix it in nearest versions? I want to buy your plugin but my WP and IPB are installed on different domains =(

Single Sign On[1][2]? ...That important huh? :unsure: Look into it... that's a really sticky bit and you know it Mr 13. >_< . as a slave, the risk of session fixation due to managing a cookie on a seperate domain of the same details is large(I'm not even supposed to be touching that cookie explicitly just reading and sending, thus far I have maintained that, and any attempt to touch that cookie has ended up being really bad).

IPSConnect does not support such.... *but* I have some ideas on how to proceed.... I have a staging area to test such specifically with....XML-RPC is handy. ;)

I can safely say it will be several versions before I would release it anyway... that's something I would have to be 1000% certain was WAI before putting up.

Ah, sorry MT :smile:

For some reason i did not notice that the footnote refers to SSO :smile:

PS: Try to play with design of text to make it more understandable.

I think something like this will looks more clear:

• 'Password' Master /XML-RPC Key Inputs for extra security[1].
  • Single Sign On[1][2], shared login credentials[1].
  • Utilizes IPB registration and password resets[1].
  • Force 'new' WordPress Users to 'No Role for this site'[1].
  • Master IPB 'Forums', 'Topics', And 'Statistics' Wordpress Widgets With Data Caching[1][3].
  • Global WP Super-Admin control of the Minimum Lifetime of the Data Caching[1][3].
  • Hide WordPress Admin links on Frontend.
  • Replace WordPress 'My Profile' Links with Links to the master UCP.

[1] Supported On WordPress MultiSite.

[2] Same TLD as IPB Master Only.

[3] IPB Master XML-RPC API User, PHP libxml and xmlrpc libraries Required!!!

Thank you :)

Archived