Do you use cPanel? What do you not like?

Am seriously considering a switch to cPanel on my servers.

As an admin / user what do you dislike about the control panel - what annoys you?

Or maybe life is perfect? :)

As it is a major move, I am interested in honest views.

tbh Ian I cant fault c-panel and wouldn't consider using anything else now, everything in it is just so simple to use and find without hunting around trying to remember where something is hidden behind :lol: gets a massive :thumbsup: from me :)

If your not that good with SSH then cPanel is for anyone, Just that it's easy to configure and add modules.

I been using cPanel for around 7 years now and know it very very well, The only major updates they have is menu ordering and new shiny icons, Obviously there is more to is than that.. :P

But yes, cPanel is quite good and quite good on memory / cpu consumption.

Thanks. I am more worried about my clients to be honest LOL - but it seems to be pretty well thought out on the demo

I had the same issue also, What I did was setup cPanel but not converted but they had a demo of there account using an IP rather than a domain, They could edit and such but it did not affect there main forums, I gave that two weeks and then converted, They was happy with it all.

cPanel is very easy and its written for dummies where everything is well explained and the options are easy to use.

cPanel itself is great. I'm a huge fan and we use it here on the IPS Hosting.

The only downside is that it's a HUGE resource hog. You can't truly understand how bad it is until you install it and see for yourself.

I have never noticed that much to be honest, I suppose it all depends on the setup and one thing I do know is suPHP on busy server can make WHM seem like it's using alot of resources.

Another thing WHM can be a hog at is stat updates and such but thats depending on how many accounts it's doing.

I do not like how it manages domains.
It put add on domains in a sub folder of the default domain. I like how direct admin put each domain into it's own folder.

Oh and I have had this cause issues with scripts. I had a paid script that wanted me to pay for 2 domains because of the above issue. The script was running on an addon domain and because you could get to it by typing in the url for the admin domain as well as by typing in the default domain with the add on domains folder after it they wanted me to pay for both.

Needless to say I stopped using that script.

Also I feel I am jumping around a lot as things are not organized like I like them.

I prefer Directadmin.

• 3 weeks later...

I have use many panels over the years and I also find cpanel to be very heavy and a resource hog, when in fact there are much lighter panels out there that perform much better.

I have all my servers running Direct Admin and have been trouble free for over three years on direct admin. After using many, I have found it to be one of the best if not the best imo.

cPanel is so bloated with crap that the update process is very slow and often times outdated before something hits the stable version.

If you are running your forum on dedicated server then why would you need any panel?

Can't you do all from shell? Just curious.

If your running one site, or a couple and well versed in ssh then yes you can just do everything without a panel, but honestly a well designed panel makes things much easier to manage. If you only have a couple of servers then all is well. If you have many, it's easier and less time consuming to have a nice panel to administer things.

If you are selling servers/hosting a panel is pretty much a must have for your users to manage their accounts as well.

I have about a dozen of websites, and 4 of them are really really important.
I couldn't imagine manage them with Plesk, even if I had an extra with Bobcares service, and a billion of hours lost, each time some update was ready to install.
Since the 1st of January I am with cPanel, and they managed to transfer in one night everything and...bye bye problems :cry:
CPanel forever!!

If you are running your forum on dedicated server then why would you need any panel?

Can't you do all from shell? Just curious.

Use the ssh system is BTW a good tool. And it's a great thing to be able to learn at least the basic command to update some remo, yum and so on..

Archived