IPB about to go big time

Ditchmonkey

For the record charles everyone in the staff have treated the customers and end users to the best they can and i my self included. I my self switched from vbulletin for reasons that theres a too big of gray area ive always like invision for the fact its easy to use and is at a key focus rather then bloating stuff down like vbulletin has done.

i remember the old days for invision :)

[quote name='ScottyToledo' date='26 June 2009 - 10:09 AM' timestamp='1246032557' post='1815004']
Yeah, I like it here. Invision has always been very helpful. Well, except for Charles, he's just strange. ;)

:P charles being normal in his own lil way -giggles-

I tried out VBulletin for a day or two. Wasn't my thing, as Jmiz said, the Admin CP stinks and plus there was no eye candy at all. You can tell IPB is sleek and plus it has the features and support to back it up, what does VB have? Well I guess you can change the skin, that's one thing. *rolls eyes*

I'm a VB user but I will be moving soon to IPB. I think both products are great, but the reason why I'll be switching soon is that some great, long-time staff at VB who helps us a lot before are quitting left and right. When VB was purchased by Internet Brands, things seems to be in the dark area now.

[quote name='CMSTheme' date='27 June 2009 - 01:32 AM' timestamp='1246080778' post='1815385']
I'm a VB user but I will be moving soon to IPB. I think both products are great, but the reason why I'll be switching soon is that some great, long-time staff at VB who helps us a lot before are quitting left and right. When VB was purchased by Internet Brands, things seems to be in the dark area now.

Welcome, we hope you enjoy using it :)

I have been an IPB customer now for about 5 years, and for me they have been brilliant, cannot praise them enough. I have no technical knowledge, And I have probably sent some very basic support tickets, but this has never been a problem, they are always answerd promptly and the situation has always been sorted quickly.

Keep up the brilliant work and the top customer support.

Kind Regards
Jack

Trying to stay somewhat impartial here, dispite being a contented IPS Customer.

My day job.. I deal with customers all the time, and there is a fine art, in dealing with an unhappy customer. Some people have it, some people just don't.

IPB was recommended to me, when I was looking for a good forum system to replace phpBB and I was also considering vBulletin at the time.
I never liked the feel of vBulletin from an end-user perspective.
I didn't wish to have to keep paying $80 every year, just to be allowed to use it.
vBulletin's owned licence was more expensive than IPB's then perpetual licence.
IPB's Yearly licence gave me the freedom not to renew, and still be allowed to use the software.

When I did get a copy of vBulletin, to play with.. I found the requirement to enter your customer number, before the installer would work, reminiscent of XP's Product Activation.
I found vBulletin's ACP to be horribly laid out and awkward to navigate.
IPB's was nicely grouped under the different tabs, with the main options neatly listed on the left navigation bar, which made managing my forum a great deal more intuitive.

vBulletin has some features that I would like to see in IPB.. like per-forum overrides to usergroup permissions.. but having used both systems, as a user, as a moderator and as an administrator, I have grown to prefer IPB.

The few times I needed to phone IPS to resolve issues with billing, the staff that took my calls have always been very friendly, and very polite. IPS has got good customer service skills, and this is as important as having good products.

To all the staff at IPS, please, keep it up.

The new ACP in the new 4.0 is very very similar in feel to the way IPB's ACP has felt and worked since 2.2 (tabbed menu). I'd have though that maybe they would go with a drop-down menu system or similar? Oh well. I guess whatever works best.

Over the past years, IPB has gotten more widely used and popular than vBulletin and any other enterprise forum software out there to date. I have to agree, IPB has gotten some pretty outstanding reviews.

Keep up the great work IPB, the developers and the forum software get an A+++!!! :)

[quote name='Spiritwarrior' date='30 June 2009 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1246410166' post='1817897']
Over the past years, IPB has gotten more widely used and popular than vBulletin and any other enterprise forum software out there to date. I have to agree, IPB has gotten some pretty outstanding reviews.

Keep up the great work IPB, the developers and the forum software get an A+++!!! :)

If I'm not mistaken, NBC.com uses IPB for their boards. :thumbsup:

[quote name='Stallyon' date='29 June 2009 - 01:02 AM' timestamp='1246233768' post='1816444']
The new ACP in the new 4.0 is very very similar in feel to the way IPB's ACP has felt and worked since 2.2 (tabbed menu). I'd have though that maybe they would go with a drop-down menu system or similar? Oh well. I guess whatever works best.

Wha? They've shown pics of the ACP? They had said before that the ACP would be staying the same for the initial release of 4.0...

You guys have to feel a bit sorry for vBulletin, no matter what.

I hope they don't go under as then Invision won't have any (major) competition, and if you have competition, you have more features being thought up, developed, stolen, and you strive to be the best.
Without competition, I doubt Invision would be the very same it is right now.

[quote name='Jmiz9000' date='26 June 2009 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1246067102' post='1815300']
The Administration panel in vB makes me want to puke, reminds me of a really old site. Compare the IP.Board's adminstration panel in 2.3 and vbulletin 3.8, and ipb is a million times better

It's all subjective. People who regularly use vB think that IPB's tabbed approach is horrible, and vice versa.

I've used both and I can honestly say they're equal for the tasks they need to accomplish. I'd even give a slight edge to vB's ACP in certain areas.

[quote name='Link2999' date='26 June 2009 - 07:11 PM' timestamp='1246068690' post='1815314']
I tried out VBulletin for a day or two. Wasn't my thing, as Jmiz said, the Admin CP stinks and plus there was no eye candy at all. You can tell IPB is sleek and plus it has the features and support to back it up, what does VB have? Well I guess you can change the skin, that's one thing. *rolls eyes*

If you gave vBulletin a real demonstration, you would quickly find out that it's templates and skinning systems are just as rich as IPB's. vBulletin is as customizable as IPB is, it just works differently.

Also, eye candy isn't everything, as demonstrated by the "Pro" skin of IPB 2, which cut out all the gradients, multiple colors, etc.

vBulletin is still a very good product and worthy competition for IPB.

Archived