IPB about to go big time

Ditchmonkey

Vbulletin has moved all customer feedback threads to a non-public forum so I can't link any threads. But let me tell you what's going on in that private forum - VB users are very angry and are becoming more and more vocal about it. VB staff are becoming very heavy-handed in moderating that forum. Essentially, dissent is no longer tolerated and constructive discussions about customer needs are a thing of the past.

So IPB - keep it up with the great communication, friendly customer support, and great product offerings and you may just see a mass-exodus to your products.

• Management

While no one is perfect, even me (shocking I know), we do try to be approachable and friendly here. Of course sometimes there are disagreements and such but we are always out to offer the services and solutions that the most people want. We are quite happy with IPB3 and are looking forward to the final release. It's not too far off now :)

[quote name='AtariAge' date='10 June 2009 - 11:47 AM' timestamp='1244663272' post='1808865']
What are the VB users angry about? The fact that customer feedback has been moved to a private forum, or issues with VB (or both)?

..Al

A whole range of issues. The product itself has had little meaningful development for the last couple of years. The photo gallery and groups features have very poor integration with the forum. Blog product is widely criticized for many faults. Search functionality really doesnt work at all for very large forums. VB is very difficult to integrate with third party applications and VB will not reveal if it has any plans for a product like IPB's converge. There is no product roadmap that details what the future holds for development and features. There is no first party or third party professional developers network for VB making professional, business level support difficult or impossible to find.

What we do know is that the price of VB is going up (again), long time VB developers are leaving the company, and customer complaints are being dealt with very harshly in the forums.

There is more, but thats what I came up with off the top of my head.

They are closing threads for no real reason left, right and centre they are also warning people who are having justified concerns. Alot of Vb's long term staff seem to be 'moving on' I can see a big shift from Vb shortly, the new company that took over dont seem to understand customer communication nor support.

Ditchmonkey, thanks for the positive feedback. It's great to know that we're able to provide you with a standard of service you're pleased with - we know how important these things are and we appreciate all the tickets, calls and topics like this from you guys telling us we're doing a good job.

Although, I really don't think it's appropriate to start making digs at Jelsoft here, they get enough of that on their own forums.

[quote name='Ditchmonkey' date='10 June 2009 - 10:00 AM' timestamp='1244656834' post='1808845']
Vbulletin has moved all customer feedback threads to a non-public forum so I can't link any threads. But let me tell you what's going on in that private forum - VB users are very angry and are becoming more and more vocal about it. VB staff are becoming very heavy-handed in moderating that forum. Essentially, dissent is no longer tolerated and constructive discussions about customer needs are a thing of the past.

So IPB - keep it up with the great communication, friendly customer support, and great product offerings and you may just see a mass-exodus to your products.

Very nice to know, now all we need to see is +Active Customers on your profile :D IPB is the way forward.

Although I must say, the members over at VB were probably used to the original staff & owners, things can turn upside down in a heartbeat if new owners don't try to make things better, yet instead are less active and less understanding.

I've seen big Demolition companies (I do demolition) go under and fail bringing new owners and CEO's on board, no matter what kind of business you have, if you don't offer the right help and services, it's an EPIC FAIL! :D

As an owner of both softwares, being vBulletin as well as Invision, I'll say the following. As soon as my 60 day limit is up, I will be dumping my vB license onto someone who wants to deal with a company that goes behind customers' backs. The recent hash of activity by Internet Brands has left me with a foul taste in my mouth. Companies such as Internet Brands don't deserve my time or my money.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get me wrong, I think Vbulletin is a great product, but I just could not stand the people behind the computers who are running the show. I love how Invision Power runs their company forums, how they treat their clients and I like how you guys can joke around and not be serious all the time. Whenever I post a suggestion (or someone else does for that matter) I actually feel like you guys are listening to us and not putting our critiques on the backburner. Honestly, you guys are doing a great job. I'm so glad I went ahead and renewed my license and hope to be a customer for life ;)

[quote name='Ditchmonkey' date='10 June 2009 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1244656834' post='1808845']

Im a customer ill go look :)

EDIT
--------------------------------
How can I get on the alpha testing team? The alpha testing team is already very full, so we cannot accommodate any more testers.

LOL that sucks! Im glad you guys dont do that :)

Vbulletin

I have to agree with one thing here. Even IPB past customers whom are dissatisfied with something are always able to voice their disdain. hehe, Lord knows, (and everyone else I suspect,) I have always voiced out when I thought something needed 'fixed' or added that I felt was an essential part of the forum software. The programmers may not have always listened or acted upon the requests, but at least I was able to express my topic.

It's sad to hear that VB is acting this way. While they are 'competition', how one treats a customer affects everyone, as even though we may own one or more IPB sites, we do visit other ones that may be using VB and if they are not getting the support or satisfaction they need, then it takes away from that site.

More and more members are going to places like Twitter (which is for twits) saying forum software is ancient. All forum companies need to press forward and add (not take away or upgrade to cause a lost of features,) areas that can compete with other formats.

IPB may have its faults like all companies, yet they always listen and strive to improve, and while I thank all of the IPB team, I would like to thank Bfarber especially for being there to listen and assist us.

[quote name='skysober' date='25 June 2009 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1245956884' post='1814322']
More and more members are going to places like Twitter (which is for twits)

OMG that's funny.

[quote name='bfarber' date='25 June 2009 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1245957951' post='1814336']
While I do thank you for the positive words, you know after pointing me out specifically, coupled with this topic from a couple days ago, I'm going to hear about this nonstop now right? lol.

Glad I could help get the ball rolling on you being nagged and picked on for getting praise. :thumbsup:

[quote name='Brandon D' date='25 June 2009 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1245958071' post='1814337']
Brandon has all the posts where someone compliments him or Charles bookmarked so whenever Charles starts ranting about something he can just dump them out to get him off his back :P

For the record, I do not. :P

It's just a long standing joke is all. When I was originally hired a lot of people who knew me in the modding community thought it was good that IPS hired me (and said so), so anytime someone says positive comments about me, I get picked on.

Then again, I get picked on for plenty of other things too, so I guess I'd rather get picked on for being praised than the loudness of my keyboard, for instance.

[quote name='iBotPeaches' date='10 June 2009 - 06:40 PM' timestamp='1244673632' post='1808894']
VB has that pet mod, and I just love those little things.

I just thought I'd chirp in and say that :)

IPB has a pets mod, look on Invisionize. I know there's one for 1.3.1, but I'm 99% sure they have one for 2.3.x.

Honestly, I'm glad vB is competition with IPB, Both are very great products. I think the number 1 reason I love IPb more is licensing. I'm still allowed to use 2.3.6, even after my support license expired. (I'll renew next month, but won't upgrade until a mod comes out that I want to use). As well, I've had stupid issues before where I thought it was a big deal, and submitted a ticket, 8 hours later, it turned out to be a "Rebuild skins" thing, and the support tech called me a "dumb dumb" and laughed about it. I love when tech support jokes around with me, vB's is just way too serious. Plus, its easy for you to post "IPB sux" on these forums, where on vB's, they take a heart attack instantly, IPS looks at it and says "Why does it suck," so they're a bit more open.

I hope Matt NEVER sells off IPS/IPB, that would kill it, lol

Well I'd compliment Dean, but alas he is nowhere to be found anymore, and yes I complimented Bfarber way back when he was one of the good guys who made free mods, (come back from the dark side! ) lol

But when I think of Invision and the improvements that made it better than the other commercial forum software, it included the mods. In fact that was the main reason for it. I started out with IPB 1.1

And in that, it was Dean and Bfarber whom MADE IPB what it is today, for without them, I surely would have looked a lot harder at Vb or gone back to phpBB years and years ago!

[quote name='skysober' date='25 June 2009 - 05:28 PM' timestamp='1245965308' post='1814463']
And in that, it was Dean and Bfarber whom MADE IPB what it is today, for without them, I surely would have looked a lot harder at Vb or gone back to phpBB years and years ago!

You used phpBB? I'm sorry.

Archived