IPB about to go big time

Ditchmonkey

Guest Collin10000

[quote name='basil2070' date='24 June 2009 - 03:29 PM' timestamp='1245882596' post='1813769']
Don't get me wrong, I think Vbulletin is a great product, but I just could not stand the people behind the computers who are running the show. I love how Invision Power runs their company forums, how they treat their clients and I like how you guys can joke around and not be serious all the time. Whenever I post a suggestion (or someone else does for that matter) I actually feel like you guys are listening to us and not putting our critiques on the backburner. Honestly, you guys are doing a great job. I'm so glad I went ahead and renewed my license and hope to be a customer for life ;)

That basically sums up my experience with IPB. Ive been using it since 1.2 (and still have the source files on an old computer...) and carried along with it. I let my license expire and stopped using it during the 2.2/2.3 days when IPB started turning all "corporate" (even Matt said that on his personal blog) but just reading the forums again has made me smile since you guys all have such personality. If I could only get my order glitches solved I would love to be back here again :S

[quote name='SmashinGarcia' date='01 July 2009 - 02:40 AM' timestamp='1246412433' post='1817940']
InvisionFree's new lame software.

Oh, the 1.3 modified version?
Oh, ok.

vBulletin was the main competitor (in my opinion), I don't think I have seen another popular paid board around..

Guest Collin10000

[quote name='Charles' date='30 June 2009 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1246413007' post='1817943']
If you're having order issues just send an email to sales and I'm sure they can sort it out :)

I did a few hours ago, and I emailed you (I know, big nono) and then I read your all going on 4th of july vacation tomorrow. It made me sad. I the damn sale! Those 20 bucks are important to me so I can buy more random stuff!

[quote name='David Diaz' date='30 June 2009 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1246413084' post='1817945']
Oh, the 1.3 modified version?
Oh, ok.

vBulletin was the main competitor (in my opinion), I don't think I have seen another popular paid board around..

No actually I believe Zetaboards is completely different software that InvisionFree had released after hearing IPB would go paid.

• Management

[quote name='Collin10000' date='30 June 2009 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1246413089' post='1817946']
I did a few hours ago, and I emailed you (I know, big nono) and then I read your all going on 4th of july vacation tomorrow. It made me sad. I the damn sale! Those 20 bucks are important to me so I can buy more random stuff!

I replied to your topic in pre-sales. They will honor the discounted price since you were having trouble. Someone from sales will sort out your issue and reply tomorrow :)

We don't actually close until Thursday.

[quote name='SmashinGarcia' date='30 June 2009 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1246413158' post='1817949']
No actually I believe Zetaboards is completely different software that InvisionFree had released after hearing IPB would go paid.

It is completely rewritten, however a certain person from Zetaboard argues Invision Power Services copied some features for 3.0.0. I remember waiting for it, for YEARS. I considered it vaporware for how long it was in development. Anyway, I feel bad for causing a tangent in this thread.

3.0.0 seems like a connection of a discussion board, and social networking. For example, facebook integration is a great idea! I also suspect one day a mod will be made where when you update your Twitter account, it will update your profile status. This product is moving forward, and I applaud that!

I also want to say, without that bar at the top, the website looks TOP-NOTCH! I love it!

Guest Collin10000

[quote name='Charles' date='30 June 2009 - 06:53 PM' timestamp='1246413188' post='1817951']
I replied to your topic in pre-sales. They will honor the discounted price since you were having trouble. Someone from sales will sort out your issue and reply tomorrow :)

We don't actually close until Thursday.

Awesome. Can I get my username changed in the forums too? I have no idea why the old account holder did that.

edit: just realised im hijacking this thread. sorry guys.

[quote name='SmashinGarcia' date='01 July 2009 - 02:52 AM' timestamp='1246413158' post='1817949']

It is a different software from IPB, I believe it was made mainly to replace Invision Free since IPB 1.3 (what Invision Free uses) is pretty old at this point. And since it was made by the Invision Free people it has a lot of similarities with IPB.

Guest Collin10000

[quote name='Vulcanus Mulciber' date='30 June 2009 - 07:04 PM' timestamp='1246413844' post='1817962']
Actually, InvisionFree was going to update their software with a free version of IPB 2.0, but Invision Power did not allow them, so then they began to develop ZetaBoards.

Wasnt IF started by an ex-IPB developer? or someone who was "inside" at least?

Oh pooh, you all reminded me of my invisionfree days XD I don't miss them at all, but back in the day it sure was handy.

It's been a pleasure taking the time to read through these pages, a healthy dose of schadenfreude a day..

So since so many are handing out feathers.. I have to say that I've always been helped by the IP staff in a friendly and most important patient manner. I'm sure they've rolled their eyes many a time over my tickets, but never made me feel like the idiot I actually am XD Good customer service really is important because I've never felt the need to even look for a different software for my forums. Do a good job and you never hear anything, but step on a customers toe and they'll tell their friends, family, neighbors and their dog all about it. Then spam it on Twitter like a proper twit

[quote name='David Diaz' date='01 July 2009 - 02:15 AM' timestamp='1246410937' post='1817908']
You guys have to feel a bit sorry for vBulletin, no matter what.

It's never nice to see anybody go under, whoever they are. Companies have to move with the times, look after their customers and staff and still be in a competative market/ The joys of running a business rolleyes.gif

[quote name='Μichael' date='01 July 2009 - 01:17 PM' timestamp='1246479467' post='1818508']
Umm, about half a second for me. :unsure:

Weird... It really does take a long time.

I'm not talking about generation time, but bandwidth speed to my computer...

[quote name='TCWT' date='01 July 2009 - 10:00 PM' timestamp='1246482023' post='1818533']
Why do most hosting companies use Vb? :unsure:

Because IPS offers hosting, and unless they pay for copyright removal all of their forum's pages will have a link to a competitor's site.

[quote name='TCWT' date='01 July 2009 - 05:00 PM' timestamp='1246482023' post='1818533']
Why do most hosting companies use Vb? :unsure:

Because it's not their money so they just look at a few forums already in use and figure "dur, this must be the best..." In other words, not really doing their homework.

[quote name='aeharding' date='01 July 2009 - 04:36 PM' timestamp='1246480609' post='1818519']
Weird... It really does take a long time.

I'm not talking about generation time, but bandwidth speed to my computer...

I have no idea what the generation time was, all I knew was that I clicked the link and the page loaded in a bout half a second (my rough estimate).

[quote name='Μichael' date='01 July 2009 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1246484773' post='1818553']
I have no idea what the generation time was, all I knew was that I clicked the link and the page loaded in a bout half a second (my rough estimate).

Generation time is the amount of time it takes the script to process the request and 'generate' the page for display.

Archived