New Feature Suggestions for IPB 3.0

IBTheme

Since it was suggested to open a new topic for feature suggestions only
due to the other threads being so long, I decided to start a new one.

I was thinking that I agreed with what another customer suggested earlier
about having one light themed skin and one dark themed skin packed with
the new IPB 3.0 for default. (perhaps even a 3rd medium toned skin.) This
is just an idea as many customers like to offer both to their forum members.

(click images for larger view)
light-small.jpg medium-small.jpg dark-small.jpg

I would also like to agree with this suggestion as well.
IMHO I think this one is really, really needed...

[quote name='TheMorrigan' post='1721322' date='May 7 2008, 09:43 AM']Could I also make s suggestion for 3.0 about making/adding icons could be easier.
Also to have staff only icons and icons that only show up in certain forums or categories.

Also...

A built in global forum message.
A built in function to use BB code in topic titles
A built in function to bann a member in the topic view
A built in function to allow individual member permissions for a specific forum rather than group permissions.

:) Sherri

I like the looks of both!

Although, for older folks with fading eyesight (i.e me), the one on the right needs a bit brighter text, about the same contrast as the left-hand one. I have to squint slightly to see it clearly.

Those, as they are, would be perfectly satisfactory to me on the new version.

RV

A simple but nice feature I added to a board of mine with a very minor edit, in each topic next to the persons username if the person is the topic starter place a little icon or "OP" (original poster) next to their name. Very often I find myself reading a topic and wondering half way down whether a post I'm reading is from the same person that started the topic and then I scroll right back up to check, then down again...

btw... I just added the medium one.
And of course, I would be more than happy to design these three default skins plus a CSS based skin for IPS if they wanted!!! (hint hint) :P But my guess would be that they already have it under control. o:) But a girl can hope, can't she? lol :lol: Thanks for the compliments by the way.

I also wanted to add that I think that a built in feature for easier enabling of the RSS feed would be GREAT!!!!
Perhaps something along the lines of; in each forum settings panel, have an option to tick on or off for "enable RSS feed".

I think that Rikki got this under control. But you can always design them and post them in the resources section, Or sell them.

And of course, I would be more than happy to design these three default skins plus a CSS based skin for IPS if they wanted!!! (hint hint) tongue.gif But my guess would be that they already have it under control. innocent.gif But a girl can hope, can't she? lol laughing.gif Thanks for the compliments by the way.

As I posted in another thread...nice skins btw Evan

Here's my wishlist in order of importance to my community.

Setting for RSS Import Topic Date - options would be to have the topic post with original date/time of RSS article or current date/time. Frequently my regular members complain that the RSS Import Topics don't show on thier new posts list because they are posted into the past.

Tight Gallery/Blog integration - including the ability to link blog entries, gallery image/media files, gallery photostrips and slideshows directly in an IP.Board topic.

Social Networking Bookmarks - Digg, Slashdot, etc functionality embedded in the topics.

Expanded BBC Code - to include /me and tags.

Expanded Portal Functionality - including Google type drag and drop gadget functionality, much like the blog. The ability to have several 'boxes' for topic lisings from different forum categories. Ability to show lastes discussion by Topic start date, latest posts, or both (in different gadgets of course).

At least two standard modernized skin options - one for light and one for dark users.

It would also be really really cool if we had the ability to change the general layout of the board. Much like the Google Homepage Gadget functionality. Where each section would be a gadget. You could move each bit and create truely custom looking boards. The main bits would be the User CP, Site Navigation, Site Stats, Header section, Footer Section and a Cutom Code Section (we could plop ads or whatever there).

That's it! Thanks for the great products!

[*] Color name (posting) --- I know people probably don't care about the disabled (how ever slight(ly)) but it'd be a LARGE help to be able to TELL what color are in the option (see attachement). I'm colorblind, I can't easily tell what colors are in the box. And YES I KNOW of bbcode; but not everyone knows BBcode. [*][ACP] Organize Custom profile Fields --- It'd probably be useful to forum admins if they could organize the CP fields how they want: Fields that deal with gaming, those that deal with messenging, etc. [*][ACP] Skin Manager --- Would it be possible to revert changes made to (templete, /whatever) that was made (insert day, time, w/e here). [*][ACP] Limited amount of registrations --- Probably seems redundant but would it be feasibly possible to limit the amount of members that come into the board within (time frame)? [*][ACP] Forum viewable by group --- I think it'd be extermally good if while were in the ACP, while in the Manage forums section mainly, we can see what forums (insert group here) sees. [*][ACP] Viewable skins by group --- (ROOT) admin can set what skins are viewable to what group(s) . .

[*][ACP] Categorize Topic Multi Moderation -- Should sound some what self explanatory, but it'd be nice if we could categorize/organize the TMM we have, how we want. All those that close topic (for what ever reason) go into one category, those that move go in another, etc.

I'll probably come up with more later, these are from other topic(s) I made, now that I think it of; most of the suggestions I posted do sound redundant. (And I don't mean this post, other topics i've posted in).

[quote name='BryanH' post='1721868' date='May 8 2008, 10:40 PM']A shout box seems better suited as a plugin, rather than part of the core.

Not really... if we are having the Rep system..

[quote name='BryanH' post='1721868' date='May 8 2008, 10:40 PM']A shout box seems better suited as a plugin, rather than part of the core.

Agreed

[quote name='zigs' post='1721878' date='May 8 2008, 11:08 PM']Not really... if we are having the Rep system..

Two completely different things... :blink:

Profile Fields View - Just like Topic View have an option for Profile Fields view so that we are not having to copy and paste links or do a million <if> statements in our skin to get it to appear as we would want it to appear in the profile (links, images and normal text are some examples) this also means that if there is a View setup that it doesn't take into account the wordwrap number and break the link (I had to remove this to use if statements to get mine to work).

Choose Shortname length - I'd like to disable shortnames altogether on my site but a way to change the length or disable it would be nice because I hate seeing "longusernametwe..." instead of "longundernametwelve" its annoying to me and really tacky too. >_>

[quote name='bfarber' date='May 8 2008, 09:19 AM']Some notes regarding comments

1) Firstly, if you have feature suggestions, please post those in a separate topic. :) It gets difficult to find out individual feature suggestions in a 10+ page topic when they're scattered throughout. Just a friendly request for our sanity (our = developers)

[quote name='Stuart Elliott' post='1721891' date='May 8 2008, 06:41 PM']An option to REPLY to PMs without quoting original message.

More as I think of them.
Not needed. The PM system was supposed to be revamped to be topic/facebook message style where you'll see all the previous messages anyway. ;)

to be honest i'm a light skin type of guy so don't see any real use in the other two ones. They don't appeal to me. One thing i think that ips should take into consideration if they are making multiple skins in the AAA rating by using a contrast analyser . I know currently there are no skins or the default ones don't meet these standards and its sometimes difficult to do but for people who have problems identifying colours or colour blind people this is a great accessibility improvement. You can analyse colours using the "colour contrast analyser" tool which is free.

I already suggested topic title prefixes but I would like to suggest an addition to that. A drop down or something similar in forum view where you can select from the prefixes available to use in that forum that will then only show topics that start with the prefix you select. This would in many situations make finding stuff relevant to you so much easier.

Here are the two things I would like to see most in IP.Board 3.0:

1. Topic Preview Hover via an alt/title tag (like vBulletin has) - I really think the current method of displaying when the topic was created is a bit useless to be honest. As someone else has suggested, why not just store the first 200 or so characters of the post in the topics table, to ease impact on the database? Please please please can this be considered? (with icing on top :P )

2. Improvements to the IGNORE function: If I've ignored someone I don't want to see that they have made a post... period, I don't want to be given the option of seeing their post.. I should just NOT see their post whatsoever, I also shouldn't see that they are the last poster on board view, and I also shouldn't see posts of their's that other people have quoted.. it should be similar to how the Facebook block person feature works.. you just don't see that person at all.. it's like they don't exist! :cool:

Archived