IPSBeyond Access?

Guest PolakTom101

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it for ever that you got the account?

Technically, you have the account forever (although it may be expired, it's still there), but it expires at IPSBeyond and that's when you have to renew your support in order to use it again.

Edit: Dang it, Lindy beat me to it :P

We are going to make IPSBeyond a bit more open in the not-too-distant future, however, to access downloads and make use of its full resources, you would need to be an

active

customer, yes.

Then why not just move the customer forums back here? I thought the whole point of IPSB was to have a board to which only confirmed paying customers would have access. Opening it up to anyone else would just make it like IPS company forums mark I (mark II being how it is now and mark I being how it was before, with the customer forums like support etc. and the non-customer forums).

At least, I think that's what you're getting at :ph34r:

how open, i personally think it should be once your in you should stay in. If not you could be ditching valuable people with experiance with ipb that could provide information for other people but for some reason no longer need the software, e.g. their site packed up.

• Management

We've not finalized anything by any means... we are considering opening it up further in the sense that visitors can read more content on the site from a resource standpoint. Participation, downloads, etc. would likely still be limited to active customers.

We're always open to ideas, however. :)

Then why not just move the customer forums back here? I thought the whole point of IPSB was to have a board to which only confirmed paying customers would have access. Opening it up to anyone else would just make it like IPS company forums mark I (mark II being how it is now and mark I being how it was before, with the customer forums like support etc. and the non-customer forums).

At least, I think that's what you're getting at :ph34r:

IPSB is and will be a lot more than just a customer chat forum. It makes sense to keep the product resources separate from our company board :)

I would like for perpetual license holders to have access after their one year support expires, after all, they... ok... we would not be receiving official support but can still learn new things and contribute.

There are many members like that, that I think would contribute a great deal.

In that sense... someone mentioned, once you're in you stay in, I like that idea, but of course I don't know if IPS would be interested in that.

We are going to make IPSBeyond a bit more open in the not-too-distant future, however, to access downloads and make use of its full resources, you would need to be an

active

customer, yes.

how about perpetual license?

I personally think you should make a group maybe on Beyond called Modification Developers or something, because I mod quite a bit however I dont use it for support, so I would be paying to answer peoples request, maybe make a mod group where you have to have made regular contributions the the downloads sytem and your account doesnt expire then.

So we'll be seeing the much vaunted "rewards program" for dedicated modification developers?

I personally think you should make a group maybe on Beyond called Modification Developers or something, because I mod quite a bit however I dont use it for support, so I would be paying to answer peoples request, maybe make a mod group where you have to have made regular contributions the the downloads sytem and your account doesnt expire then.

See Kyanar's above post - what he is referring to goes hand in hand with what you are suggesting. We haven't yet worked out all the details yet, however, so the best I can recommend is contribute what you can now, and your 'points' will be calculated and taken into consideration once we do. :)

I say keep IPSB restricted completely to license holders and only allow registration to the site via the customer center, as it is now. That way IPSB is a little added bounus to license holders, and the newbs with their nullified licenses can stay on Invisionize and use their poorly scripted mods submitted by 12 year old script kiddies.

Edit: Why is this thread in the 2.2 feedback forum?

I say keep IPSB restricted completely to license holders and only allow registration to the site via the customer center, as it is now. That way IPSB is a little added bounus to license holders, and the newbs with their nullified licenses can stay on Invisionize and use their poorly scripted mods submitted by 12 year old script kiddies.

Edit: Why is this thread in the 2.2 feedback forum?

Its in this forum because it go's in with the new 2.2 license options

active

customer, yes.

Active as in is-paying-for-support or Active as in has-a-license-and-can-download-the-current-version?

I have three perpetual licenses and i didn't know that. :(

I can kind of see why i guess to a degree, but if i can access downloads for IPB it sure would be nice to access downloading mods. They go hand in hand... well i guess it depends on how you look at it. I always kind of considered forums to be self support and not really official support since there is no ticket system required and people can choose to help or not. Plus it is 'largely' customers helping customers, you don't have to rely on official staff support too much if at all really. That and i rarely ask questions but more often find what i need the majority of the time from existing topics and such. But again, i guess it depends on how you look at it. I'm still sad th0. :( hehe

See Kyanar's above post - what he is referring to goes hand in hand with what you are suggesting. We haven't yet worked out all the details yet, however, so the best I can recommend is contribute what you can now, and your 'points' will be calculated and taken into consideration once we do. :)

Is there a bug in the new IPB version? Because that's not my quote. Before the RC, there was a quote by me... but now there isn't.

However, restricting access to downloads at IPSBeyond is kinda strange.. Shouldn't license holders (Even if support is inactive) be able to download modifications for their version? I just don't understand that. :\

I agree. It's like having the IPB downloads without support, people should get the mods without support if they feel comfortable using them without support.

I always kind of considered forums to be self support and not really official support since there is no ticket system required and people can choose to help or not. Plus it is 'largely' customers helping customers, you don't have to rely on official staff support too much if at all really. That and i rarely ask questions but more often find what i need the majority of the time from existing topics and such.

Bingo :thumbsup:

If its not official support and many if not most of the mods can be found elsewhere free, then why force people to have to pay for support if they want the unofficial support and mods? This really doesnt make any sense since no other forum software company out there that I know of does it this way.

Archived