Topic rating and sorting

Sonya*

Posted (edited)

As of now, the star rating can be enabled for certain forums. To get a “real rating” forum, two features are missed:

• show number of stars (total rating) in the topics list
  • set Default sort order in Display settings of forum by rating (e.g., highest to lowest)

Due to the deprecation of Q&A forums, where sorting by votes is possible, in IC5 we will lose any ability to sort topics by ratings or votes. Right?

Edited by Sonya*

2 hours ago, Sonya* said:

Due to the deprecation of Q&A forums, where sorting by votes is possible, in IC5 we will lose any ability to sort topics by ratings or votes. Right?

Yes, that would indeed be correct

34 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Yes, that would indeed be correct

Then consider the above suggestions.

If the star rating is not deprecated, then just showing what is already there and adding sorting by an already existing column, would be a good compromise. 😉

Posted (edited)

To expand on the subject, it is very hard to make sense of aggregate user feedback.

• Requests are scattered across thousands of topics.
  • The most vocal 1% of users can steer things in a direction that is not reflective of the wider community.
  • Any time we take a poll on what users want the response is always a surprise.

I believe IPS would also benefit greatly from this feature.

Edited by Interferon

• Management

The star rating has been removed in v5. It's a confusing and not very well used feature. We're building new tools in v5 to find the best content. 

Five star ratings in general are useless, which is why Netflix moved to a thumbs up / thumbs down approach. Most people rate good service 5, and poor service 1. Everything in the middle is noise.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Matt said:

The star rating has been removed in v5.

From the entire suite or forums? While it does not work well for certain content types, I use it heavily for pretty much all my Pages databases across all my communities. Best fonts, best books, best microphones, best anything. For all the data we collect around our community topic. Tens of thousands of votes that can’t just be trashed. They would at least be converted into an alternative system. 

Edited by opentype

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Matt said:

Five star ratings in general are useless, which is why Netflix moved to a thumbs up / thumbs down approach.

I have just started a voting system in one community that relies on star rating. However, the concept is indeed based on thumbs up / thumbs down. Everything in the middle is noise, you're right.

20 hours ago, Matt said:

We're building new tools in v5 to find the best content. 

Eager to see. 

However, I do not want to “find” best content. I would like just to sort the content based on votes, rating, thumbs or whatever. 

Member voting for ideas

No algorithms for trending, useful and so on. Just up- and downvotes. 😉 Made manually by users.

Would it be possible to re-create something like this in Pages only? I am on a vanilla trip right now and getting rid of 3rd party apps. 😉 

Edited by Sonya*

• Management
2 hours ago, Kirill Gromov said:

Something tells me that the reviews also will leave away along with the rating..

Reviews, and the ability to leave a star rating on is still in v5.

20 hours ago, opentype said:

From the entire suite or forums? While it does not work well for certain content types, I use it heavily for pretty much all my Pages databases across all my communities. Best fonts, best books, best microphones, best anything. For all the data we collect around our community topic. Tens of thousands of votes that can’t just be trashed. They would at least be converted into an alternative system. 

Pages supports a custom rating field. We could look at making sure that data gets moved over.

Posted (edited)

Currently, we just have an unorganized feature requests forum with 95 pages of 1425 threads that I never read. It's impossible to prioritize any of it because I can't make decisions based on one person's opinion.

This is what the OP is asking for:

feature-request-tracking-1-b8e389fb78031

popup-suggest-improvement_3-1024x1024.pn

game-developers-phones.png

Edited by Interferon