Native solution for unread notification badge number on PWAs

Just wondering if there is a native solution (or 3rd party plugin/app) for showing the unread notification count as a badge number for PWAs. Check example (with #10):

image.png

I currently make it work using JS to fetch the member notifications endpoint (/api/core/members/{id}/notifications) and extract the unread count from the fetched result and set it with setAppBadge PWAs function. But this is a long polling that consumes too many resources. 
--
If there is no native solution, my next idea is to extend the endpoint to retrieve just the count of unread notifications (no looping fetched rows in the result, like my current workaround). So, can you point me out how to extend endpoints with a custom application? (I manage to implement custom application before but never for extending API endpoints) 
Thanks.  

• 1 month later...

@Jim M Just to be sure, as maybe we are re-working trying to "hardcode" a native PWA feature. 

Isn't PWA technology supposed to show the credential count for unread or unseen push notifications? Is this something we should enable somewhere in the IPB Admin?

image.png

Thanks

26 minutes ago, JP TTT said:

@Jim M Just to be sure, as maybe we are re-working trying to "hardcode" a native PWA feature. 

Isn't PWA technology supposed to show the credential count for unread or unseen push notifications? Is this something we should enable somewhere in the IPB Admin?

image.png

Thanks

We haven’t implemented this yet. 

On 4/4/2024 at 2:42 AM, Daniel F said:

We haven’t implemented this yet. 

We've built it internally for ourselves and have it kinda working. 

Our only challenge is that the way we are doing it (as @JP TTT mentions above) causes infrastructure resource issues due to the long polling that happens on such regular intervals, especially with people who have lots of unread notifications. 

(using JS to fetch the member notifications endpoint (/api/core/members/{id}/notifications) and extract the unread count from the fetched result and set it with setAppBadge PWAs function)

We'd LOVE to see this functionality rolled out natively as IMHO, Badge Counts / Notifications are one of the primary and best benefits of PWA Apps 🤓

(Especially now that Apple has finally come to the party recently - it's made companies like Basecamp go all-in on PWA)

It would very likely be one of the highest ROI features for Community Engagement available. 

Hopefully it's on the short term roadmap to really complete / round out the PWA capabilities of IPB.