Ban/block feature needed

georgebkk

I moved this to Feedback but we would require more information about what you're looking for. Saying exactly like "Facebook" is not really that detailed as it currently sits, it does function like that. If it is missing something that you're looking for, we would need more information.

8 minutes ago, Jim M said:

I moved this to Feedback but we would require more information about what you're looking for. Saying exactly like "Facebook" is not really that detailed as it currently sits, it does function like that. If it is missing something that you're looking for, we would need more information.

It's been mentioned several times; with some actually decent suggestions.

I share the sentiment expressed by the original poster. While the ignore feature is a step in the right direction, it seems to lack effectiveness, as posts still appear in activity feeds and similar areas. There has been a longstanding feedback about this concern, and I've personally expressed my thoughts on the matter for quite some time as well.

Edited by Tripp★

8 minutes ago, Tripp★ said:

It's been mentioned several times; with some actually decent suggestions.

I share the sentiment expressed by the original poster. While the ignore feature is a step in the right direction, it seems to lack effectiveness, as posts still appear in activity feeds and similar areas. There has been a longstanding feedback about this concern, and I've personally expressed my thoughts on the matter for quite some time as well.

While I understand there may be previous requests by different users, we are trying to ascertain the OP's request. If they are the same, we will merge this into that topic as one standing request. Please keep in mind while we read every suggestion, it does not mean they will be implemented in full or at all as they were requested.

This is not to provide feedback on the feedback (how meta!), but to provide some conceptual philosophy around communities vs social media for other Invision Community owners.  

Social media, at its philosophical core, is meant to be 1-to-many.  Its a single user broadcasting his thoughts or feedback at large to the world ("look at this interesting thing I did today!").  It is most similar to Status Updates in IPS.  

Forums are meant to be many-to-many. It's many users who publish their collective thoughts ("what do you think about X?"). When you enter the forums, there is an intrinsic understanding that you agree to the public discourse, whether you agree with the opinions or not. You voluntarily opted in to the community at large. 

I view it like a workplace.  You may not like all of your coworkers, but you coexist because you have a unified and larger purpose.  

Targeted ignores at one person should be applied only in areas where the publication of content is meant to be 1-to-many.  This means areas such as: personal messages, status updates, private albums, private blogs.  

Targeted ignores in other areas, such as forums, don't make sense.  Just because you ignore a person doesn't mean that his contribution to the conversation - and the quotes and requotes and related conversation - will stop.  The conversation continues, and the contribution is part of the public discourse.  

In a community, the philosophy of ignore should be held to the standard of the community level, not the single user level.  Does the user break the community standards that are universal to all members? This standard is in contrast to: do I personally like or want to tolerate this other person? 

On a final note, I want to emphasize that i share these thoughts not because I'm trying to stop any feedback of Ignore.  There are some great suggestions in there! But I also think community managers need to not let technology be the go-to fix of human behavior all of them time.  Community management is ultimately people management more than tech management. Sometimes we need to talk - openly and bravely - about tolerating people we don't like in the pursuit and conversation of a larger goal.

Edited by Joel R

16 hours ago, balazsp said:

Just a quick question...
Is there a shadowban app or function? Sometimes it would be extremely useful. 

I have developed a couple of apps that enhance the ignore feature and one that adds a new block feature should you be interested.

https://www.yourforumservices.com/index.php?/topic/19-reverse-block-ignored-members/#comment-19

https://www.yourforumservices.com/index.php?/topic/13-global-ignore-tachy-goes-to-coventry/#comment-13

https://www.yourforumservices.com/index.php?/topic/4-anti-stalker-protection-member-blocking-system/#comment-4

3 hours ago, Miss_B said:

Thank you. Once your site will become online agaim, I will most def check them out. 

7 hours ago, balazsp said:

Thank you.

Will the Global Ignore (which is the shadowban I am looking for) be updated to work on 4.7?

7 hours ago, georgebkk said:

I'm in on an Global ignore (shadow ban plugin) when it works on 4.7. 

I will upgrade it soon. 

37 minutes ago, balazsp said:

Thank you. If I purchase it, will I be eligible for an IC5 version - pending it will be upgraded to that too? 

Do you mean Ipb 5? If that is what you meant, then the app will have to be upgraded to work with that version as it will be a rewrite. That goes for all third party Ipb 4.7.x apps and themes btw. They all will have to be upgraded to work on an Ipb 5.x forum.

42 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

Do you mean Ipb 5? If that is what you meant, then the app will have to be upgraded to work with that version as it will be a rewrite. That goes for all third party Ipb 4.7.x apps and themes btw. They all will have to be upgraded to work on an Ipb 5.x forum.

Yes that's what I meant, thank you. 

What my question was mainly about - do I have to purchase the app again when it will be updated to IPB5?