Splash Page or Initial Page Ability

jucs
Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

2 minutes ago, jucs said:

Is there a way to put an "entrance page"  in front of the forum rather than re-install it into a sub-folder below the top URL address?

Thanks!

What would the contents of this entrance page be? Do you mean like a stand alone separate homepage? If that is the case then that is not possible imo. 

Edited by Miss_B

34 minutes ago, jucs said:

Awesome!  Where would I find the Guest SIgnup WIdget? 

You can find it at the Block Manager. That arrow on the forum that says: Manage Blocks when you hoover over it.

35 minutes ago, jucs said:

Or for that matter Pages App?

That is an Ipb application. What license type do you have? If you switch to the new license from your Client Center, it will be included in the license and you can download and use it.

38 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

You can find it at the Block Manager. That arrow on the forum that says: Manage Blocks when you hoover over it.

That is an Ipb application. What license type do you have? If you switch to the new license from your Client Center, it will be included in the license and you can download and use it.

Just moved to the Creator cloud base version.

I see the guest block widget. Where do I drag it to? LOL

4 hours ago, jucs said:

Just moved to the Creator cloud base version.

I see the guest block widget. Where do I drag it to? LOL

For the guest block widget, I recommend dragging it to the top of every major page of your community: on your forum index, on your topic listing, in the topic, at the top of gallery, at the top of your activity streams. Everywhere! 

The reason why is that guests will be presented with your customized message on all of those pages! The guest sign up widget should contain your call to action and incorporates your log in options.  

Could contain: File, Webpage, Page, Text

Once you drag the widget to any page, edit the widget.  You only need to edit the widget once, and it displays the same message on all pages to which it's added.  

Edited by Joel R

A broader thought: 

I know many of us focus a lot of time and attention to our homepage, which we think is the front door to our community.  

The reality is much more nuanced.  The way that Google crawls our sites and shows sub-pages in search results means guests enter our communities directly into specific topics, not the homepage! In other words, every public page that Google crawls can potentially be the front door! 

On my bigger community, my homepage index barely makes the Top 10 most visited pages of my community.  If you run a publicly-available site, you should spotcheck multiple pages as a guest, because all of those pages are potentially your chance for first impression. 

So now these extra blocks are showing up for Guests. I don't know where to shut off the extra blocks. I went to permissions for the Guest Group and didn't find anything to shut off.   The stats blocks and the popular contributors and who's online blocks.  

Could contain: Page, Text, File

Could contain: File, Person

Edited by jucs

• Solution

Blocks will show only if the content they contain can be seen by the viewer. So in the case of these, they are members blocks, gallery blocks etc. So you would need to remove permission from guests to view those items in order to remove the blocks. Looking at module permissions may serve you better for some

https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/how-to-use-ips-community-suite/managing-members/member-permissions-r305/

Getting there. But there are still the forum stats and the right side still has a block.  But, when I had forums not checked for Guests the Guest WIdget did not show either. All were gone. I went through every single application I believe.

Could contain: File

What you could be best doing with that block, would be to create a new block in the admin CP which is a custom block. You can use that as a template, and with doing it this way you can set specific permissions.

So for that popular contributors block for example

• Go to Pages->Page Management->Blocks in the admin CP
  • Click "Create new block"
  • Under "Plugin" select "Popular contributors" and click next
  • Give it whatever name you wish in the name section, then click save
  • Remove the permission for guests, and click save

Now you have created a custom block, you can add it to the front end

• Open the block manager on the page
  • Drag the "Pages->Custom blocks" block to the page
  • Click to edit that block and choose the custom block you created

In this way  you can create any number of blocks with exactly the permission you wish

It has all the forum stats on the bottom showing as well.

The question is why are the only left and the popular contributors block too and all others are now gone after setting permissions for Guest to "no" for all applications. Same for the bottom stats.  Seems odd frankly. Like a bug?  Puzzled here.

If I set Forum to No for guests, it then removes it all including the Guest block as it's defined.

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Computer, Electronics, Pc, Webpage

You are on the forums page, so it will indeed be showing the stats. What you are trying to do there is change the forum page into something that isnt the forum page. You would have likely been better to create a new page in the pages application and set pages to your default application if you are doing it like this, to be honest

1 minute ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Yes, that would be correct. The problem you have here, is you are trying to both have forums as your main page, and not have forums has your main page, depending on person. Thats not possible unfortunately

Yeah, I follow.  But, why is Popular Contributors the last of the blocks showing unlike all others? I would be fine with the bottom stats at this point. 🙂 

Just because you change group permissions on applications (like blogs, calendar, gallery, etc) does not mean you hide or change permissions on blocks such as Popular Contributors, Members, etc.  These are universal blocks to the entire suite.  You could simply remove those blocks.  

If your goal is to show a totally empty page whose only content is your sign up information, then building a Page (using the pages application) is the way to go.  You can custom build any Page you want. 

51 minutes ago, jucs said:

Well, then all members would have to go to the forum via that top page that I just want to show to Guests.  If I put Pages as default.  Right?

If thats the case, recreate a new block with the same contents, in the manner I described here.

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

What you could be best doing with that block, would be to create a new block in the admin CP which is a custom block. You can use that as a template, and with doing it this way you can set specific permissions.

So for that popular contributors block for example

• Go to Pages->Page Management->Blocks in the admin CP
  • Click "Create new block"
  • Under "Plugin" select "Popular contributors" and click next
  • Give it whatever name you wish in the name section, then click save
  • Remove the permission for guests, and click save

Now you have created a custom block, you can add it to the front end

• Open the block manager on the page
  • Drag the "Pages->Custom blocks" block to the page
  • Click to edit that block and choose the custom block you created

In this way  you can create any number of blocks with exactly the permission you wish

10 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If thats the case, recreate a new block with the same contents, in the manner I described here.

13 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

So create a new Popular Contributors block and replace the default one with it and make it not seen by Guests?