My Centos Server displaying this notification

cPanel & WHM version 110 will be the last version that supports CentOS 7. Support for version 110 will end June 30, 2024. We encourage you to migrate to a server running AlmaLinux 8, Rocky Linux 8, or CloudLinux™ 8 before June 30, 2024. For more information, read our cPanel Deprecation Plan documentation.

Click the “Elevate to AlmaLinux 8” button below to read about a script you can use to upgrade cPanel & WHM installations on CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 8.

Only system administrators (root and root-level resellers) see this message.

I am wondering if any of you already did this move????? I want to hear about this problem????

Thanks

It’s very popular.  In fact, it’s the most popular Linux based server platform.

If you are used to Centos however, there are many differences in how the system operates and the commands used. For example you don’t use yum to update the system files. Instead you use apt. 

My suggestion is to use an operating system you will be comfortable managing and that you understand.  It’s not about “good” so to speak. Instead it’s more about your ability to use it to get the most from it. 

Edited by Randy Calvert

54 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

It’s very popular.  In fact, it’s the most popular Linux based server platform.

If you are used to Centos however, there are many differences in how the system operates and the commands used. For example, you don’t use yum to update the system files. Instead, you use apt. 

My suggestion is to use an operating system you will be comfortable managing and that you understand.  It’s not about “good” so to speak. Instead, it’s more about your ability to use it to get the most from it. 

Thank you, Randy. Your comment is very helpful.

Problem is I am good at Centos, but they are going away... I had to figure this out soon.... 

Thank you again... 

2 hours ago, media said:

Thank you, Randy. Your comment is very helpful.

Problem is I am good at Centos, but they are going away... I had to figure this out soon.... 

Thank you again... 

If you're comfortable with Centos, you will want to look at any OS that is a derivative of RedHat Linux (RHEL).  Take a look at either Alma Linux or Rocky Linux.  Rocky in fact is developed by a Centos co-founder.  Either of those two are also directly supported by cPanel as well.  (I don't know what your hosting provider might support, so that might make a difference as well.)

Anything based off of RHEL should be pretty comfortable for you though just in terms of how the OS feels and operates.  

1 hour ago, Randy Calvert said:

If you're comfortable with Centos, you will want to look at any OS that is a derivative of RedHat Linux (RHEL).  Take a look at either Alma Linux or Rocky Linux.  Rocky in fact is developed by a Centos co-founder.  Either of those two are also directly supported by cPanel as well.  (I don't know what your hosting provider might support, so that might make a difference as well.)

Anything based off of RHEL should be pretty comfortable for you though just in terms of how the OS feels and operates.  

Thank you

50 minutes ago, Feneroin said:

I've moved from CentOs 7 to AlmaLinux 8 at start of this year and since all is ok. There's no problem for me.

Hi Feneroin,

So, how did you move from Centos 7 to AlmaLinux 8? Did you use Cpanel WHM elevate-cpanel script?

Or Something  else?

Would you mind giving us little more info (or step by step)

Thank you so much

Hi,

I just transferred a few weeks ago from a CentOS 7 VPS to a new AlmaLinux 8 VPS for the same reasons, with no problems except that CSF is intermittently slow when navigating, apparently they are aware at CSF. You can still use Yum or DNF to upgrade packages. It’s all very familiar to CentOS 7 for the most part.

Make sure you have full backups of everything on your server, IPS files snd databases etc and on a different location including WHM/Cpanel backups.

Daily Snapshots (if available) don’t get carried over. Turn off your IPS sites if possible to minimise potential loss of posts during transfer.

You can’t use the WHM built-in Elevate tool to re-OS if your VPS is provided in a container environment via Virtuzzo like mine was, instead it requires a an actual server transfer of accounts (email, files, databases, filter rules etc) via WHM.

It won’t include any extra folders or software like CSF white and blacklists, Grafana, Prometheus, Netdata, Redis etc, so you should prepare and take note of any custom configurations or IP lists so you can restore those services or refer back to them quickly afterwards.

Reduce your TTL time to live DNS records before hand to minimise downtime DNS propagation time unless you are with Cloudflare for your domain and DNS.

Afterwards, if you are using Cloudflare, you can just update the IP address in any records there like A and CNAME records, SPF/DKIM email records etc. They update within seconds to point to the new server’s IP and hostname plus you can possibly keep the old one available for a day or two in case you find you’ve missed anything, just use the old IP address to access it.

You may also need to update credentials at AWS S3 afterwards.

I also found AlmaLinux’s RPMs are not up to date with Redis 7 and ImageMagick 7, so you’d need to update those yourself if you want the very latest versions.

Good luck!

I ended up rebuilding from scratch on a new server with AlmaLinux about a year ago. Ubuntu Support is available for WHM/Cpanel, but not at the most current versions. That is something Cpanel is actively working on.

I went with Alma because the version offered at the time had the longest support term.  I like Ubuntu, but the version that Cpanel currently supports doesn't offer as long a support period, so you'll be back in the situation of replacing the OS again sooner. 

If you want to go to Ubuntu, and there's no urgent reason to move today, I would just hold out till Cpanel gets up to date with the latest Ubuntu.  If you need to go today, go with a fresh install of Alma.

34 minutes ago, Ocean West said:

this type of post was against policy?!

As long as you do not directly (or indirectly nudge nudge) recommend/mention/point-to outside server providers and just talk about "servers" in general it's all good. These forums are a closed shop in that regards (meaning CIC and that's it).

8 hours ago, Mercury Forever said:

Interesting thread, I'm in the same situation, planning the migration.

What does IPS say about it?? it would be nice to read them.

Regards,

We can advise on how to move your site from one server to another, as pointed out by Randy above. However we would not advise on how to do the server itself, which is what this topic relates to

Hello @Marc Stridgen, I have seen and taken note of what @Randy Calvert pointed out.

My comment goes more along the line of compatibilities that IPS has versus the support that cPanel is providing in commonly used products. As for example: AlmaLinux, MariaDB.  https://docs.cpanel.net/installation-guide/system-requirements-almalinux/

Regards,
Freddy

22 minutes ago, Mercury Forever said:

Hello @Marc Stridgen, I have seen and taken note of what @Randy Calvert pointed out.

My comment goes more along the line of compatibilities that IPS has versus the support that cPanel is providing in commonly used products. As for example: AlmaLinux, MariaDB.  https://docs.cpanel.net/installation-guide/system-requirements-almalinux/

From the FAQ on the self-hosted page:

What are the requirements for the self-hosted software?

Our software works with all modern web servers (Apache, nginx, lighttpd, etc.) that can support secure versions of PHP (with GD, mbstring and all default extensions) and MySQL.

Please use our compatibility checker if you are unsure.

Please note that if you choose to use Windows based hosting, our technical support services will be limited.

For the most part, IPS stance has been to use the Requirements Checking script to check your server versus listing every single PHP module/version.   They also recommend if you are unsure or are uncomfortable with the requirements to consider using the IPS cloud hosted version where you don't have to worry about all of that and instead just use the software (like using Gmail).  

Edited by Randy Calvert

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mercury Forever said:

I recently changed servers after the end of support for Centos 7.

New configuration: AlmaLinux 8.8 and MariaDB 10.6.

Everything works perfectly.

Regards.

Would you be kind to post what steps did you take?

12 hours ago, Mercury Forever said:

So you are saying that CPANEL automatically setup all the PHP extension, htaccess folders, settings and etc.?

In my case it was like this, which left me pleasantly surprised, I think it was a plus and knowledge of the engineers who did the work, the only adjustments I made were:

1) enable my IP address in the firewall to enter cPanel services and via ssh.
2) copy the crontrab at the linux level
3) make an adjustment at the Apache level for the Worker number that my community supports, with the default value 150, it doesn't work, I must adjust it to 1000.

In summary, this was the level of changes I made post migration of the configuration I contracted.

Regards,

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, media said:

My host saying, they can migrate my server to Ubuntu 20.04...

My question is which one is better Ubuntu 20.04 OR AlmaLinux 8????

Any recommendation?

Are you using WHM/CPanel?  Ubuntu 20.04 has the longer time left on its support cycle (early 2025) , however, WHM/CPanel on Ubuntu is still fairly new and it feels like the WHM crew is scrambling a little bit to cover this transition.  Alma was supported by WHM nearly right out of the box and is a drop in replacement for Cent, however, Alma 8 Active support ends in May 2024. 

If Alma 9 is an option, support there lasts until May 2027.