PageSpeed Insights

The only thing I can see that takes any time to load on the page you are analysing there is some of the ads, so I can only guess thats why the score is showing what it is. Actual load times though, dont appear to be anywhere near what that page is suggesting, as Im sure you have seen yourself. First thing I would do is run that without ads and see where you get from there.

On 4/16/2023 at 1:51 PM, virap1 said:

Our forum is cloud hosted. As you see the google report is not good at all.

Any ideas how to improve it?

Thank you.

https://pagespeed.web.dev/analysis/https-www-enotalone-com-topic-456666-feeling-tortured-by-past-relationship-and-what-to-do-next/h2rr44zeom?form_factor=mobile

Try this, add in your Custom CSS

@media screen and (max-width:767px) {
.google-auto-placed{height:340px !important}
}

When an ad block is height :auto, as created in your ad code, a browser slows down while it recalculates your page. So try this code.

46 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Please note that the "Failing report" at the top is an overall average from various browsers overtime. As the page you inserted there is actually for your overall origin due to lack of data they have.

And? The page/website is still performing horribly.

Additionally, your suggestion that it is due to ads definitely was not the case.

8 minutes ago, Adlago said:

Try this, add in your Custom CSS

@media screen and (max-width:767px) {
.google-auto-placed{height:340px !important}
}

When an ad block is height :auto, as created in your ad code, a browser slows down while it recalculates your page. So try this code.

Thank you very much @Adlago. I will try it.

Since the invision performance on the cloud so bad on the cloud (it was also the case with a dedicated server) is there anything else that can be done to improve the performance and pagespeed results?

Edited by virap1

8 minutes ago, virap1 said:

And? The page/website is still performing horribly.

That is exactly my point is that removing the advertisements for 1 test won't give you a ready on the pass/fail that you're looking at. It is aggregated data.

However, What is performing horribly? What are your users having issues loading? Do you have an example outside of this tool? Often people get bogged down by these tools and get obsessed with them. Your site itself is really loading extremely quickly for an actual user. 

With that said, there are things at a code level in our software that we are going to improve for V5. If that is more-so what you are concerned about, I would invite you to read up on some of the conversations that have happened on the community here about CSS and Javascript. 

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

What is performing horribly? What are your users having issues loading? Do you have an example outside of this tool? Often people get bogged down by these tools and get obsessed with them. Your site itself is really loading extremely quickly for an actual user.

With that said, there are things at a code level in our software that we are going to improve for V5. If that is more-so what you are concerned about, I would invite you to read up on some of the conversations that have happened on the community here about CSS and Javascript. 

The question and concern is about the page speed. 

I don't know what other people are assessed about. That also was irrelevant. 

What javascript, css conversations? I have not really seen much on the topic. Do you have a guide or something on this topic?

3 minutes ago, virap1 said:

The question and concern is about the page speed. 

Ignore the tool. The plain question is: what is the issue you're having? Are you seeing slow speeds when you're attempting to post? Are you having issues accessing a page quickly?

Just now, virap1 said:

Let's try this again Jim. The question and concern is about the tool. So, ignore the tool is not helpful. 

People seem to like to bring up the tool but then have an underlying issue so it is helpful to address any underlying issues prior to addressing the tool. What made you go to this tool?

• Management

I've taken a look at your site.

A topic is always going to perform sluggishly compared to Google's averages it compares against. That topic page in particular has a lot of images, lots of text, Google ads, and so on.

If we look at the community index page: https://pagespeed.web.dev/analysis/https-www-enotalone-com/jsqtfp0dcy?form_factor=mobile we see that the reason it performs poorly is because of the Google Ads which takes 500ms to execute and holds up page rendering while it does so.

Compare it to our forum index (same software, same cloud network).

Could contain: Page, Text, File

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've taken a look at your site.

A topic is always going to perform sluggishly compared to Google's averages it compares against. That topic page in particular has a lot of images, lots of text, Google ads, and so on.

If we look at the community index page: https://pagespeed.web.dev/analysis/https-www-enotalone-com/jsqtfp0dcy?form_factor=mobile we see that the reason it performs poorly is because of the Google Ads which takes 500ms to execute and holds up page rendering while it does so.

Compare it to our forum index (same software, same cloud network).

Once again, we disabled the ads, run the test and ended up with very similar miserable results. 

• Management

Yeah:

Could contain: Page, Text

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

1 minute ago, virap1 said:

Once again, we disabled the ads, run the test and ended up with very similar miserable results. 

Run them on the forum index. User generated content is never going to be optimal. Lots of images, huge blocks of text, quotes, JS firing to show embeds, etc. It's not optimal for pure speed.

One thing to check is that you have lazy loading enabled. Just search 'lazy' in the AdminCP.

As Matt mentioned, topics aren't going to be blazing fast, just due to the content that gets placed on them by users who are not really concerned with website optimization speed as much as getting their content posted (which is how it should be). Then there are things like your ads in there, reCAPTCHAs (through Post Before Registration), Google Analytics, Google Tag, custom blocks, etc... that you have added on top of that. Every integration you add has a consequence these days of adding more JavaScript. 

There are some core elements to our Javascript and CSS it references that we are taking a look at for V5 but the large items there are integrations. If you're looking for a way to improve those, you would need to contact the party who made them.

1 hour ago, virap1 said:

So the question was if there is a way to optimize it. 

The results of page speed without google ads showing poor results were posted above.

I noticed that you use only one div class for different areas where you use ads. This creates contradictions and delays…
Use for different blocks, for example:
div class=" google-auto-placed1"...
div class=" google-auto-placed2"...
div class=" google-auto-placed3"...
etc.

This will allow you to easily determine the required height of block ads depending on the place of use.
And this will speed up the rendering of your site

Thank you @Adlago. I use auto-ads, so the ads are dynamically placed by adsense. I don't know how to apply individual divs with auto-ads. Is it possible.

@Jim M, @Matt thank you for your feedback. I am glad the next major release will improve on this. To be fair, I think invision is a great investment and excellent software and service. Especially, after migrating to the cloud hosted environment I am very happy with the invision. 

2 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

This also goes to show as much as Google loves to preach speed and performance… it’s somewhat of a do as I say and not as I do. 

Between their ad code and analytics code… Google has a long way to go to clean up their own house. 🙂 

I like Cloudflare's tool (you have to have the domain added to your account in Cloudflare in order to run their tool).

• 5 months later...
On 4/17/2023 at 10:04 PM, Matt said:

One thing to check is that you have lazy loading enabled. Just search 'lazy' in the AdminCP.

Does that lazy loading setting apply to images in Pages as well, not just the forum? I'm about to publish a Pages article with quite a few large animated .gif images and wondering if that was a good idea.