Twitter Embeds Causing Thread(s) Pages to Crash(?).

Go to solution Solved by My Sharona,

Earlier today I started a ticket via email with IPS support regarding this issue. I wasn't sure posting to the forums was the proper avenue here. Turns out I probably should have instead of posting the ticket. The reason I say that is because I think it might be good to see if any other boards are experiencing this same issue. The issue at hand is as the title says; Tweet embeds causing pages to crash upon load.

@Jim M was the IPS Support Staff who so graciously helped me with my ticket. Unfortunately he was unable to reproduce the issue on my board and thought that quite possibly the problem might be on Twitter's end, as they may have issued an update that is causing the matter.

What we know - it seems to only affect Apple devices - iPhones and iPads (not sure at this point about it affecting any desktop machines). The browser in question seems to be Safari 15.3. It also seems to be random. In that, it doesn't appear to affect thread pages with the same conditions. These conditions would seem to be just having Twitter embeds located on it. The first I became aware of the issue was a thread with only two posts on it and it was only the second post that contained any Tweet embeds (2). The next report was on a thread that was 48 pages long. The 48th page started to crash after it had about 6 or 7 posts to it and 5 of them contained Tweet embeds. After the thread got to the 49th page, peeps stated that they could load that 49th page, just not the 48th.

We have many threads that have tons of Tweet embeds and these Apple device users claim that they load fine. It is quite an odd situation to be sure.

Hopefully you are not experiencing this issue, but if you are, if you could post your experience, maybe it would help to solve this issue. I for one would be greatly appreciative to get this resolved. I will update myself as, since I have put this matter to the general forum, it seems more are reporting the same experience. I might add that this has only propped up in the last 5/6 or so.  Please be specific to include the device, browser and version experiencing the issue.

Thanks!

14 hours ago, nodle said:

Can you explain what you mean by 'crash'? Do you get an error message? Are you using the latest 4.7.0 version? What PHP version are you running as well?

Apparently no error message. No not running 4.7, running the version most previous. It is curious though that this only started when 4.7 was released. On IPS Cloud, so whatever version they are running. 

7 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

As mentioned above, what is it you mean by Crash?

From a user who is experiencing said issue:

"The page won’t load, you can’t back out off the page or reload. You have to shut down the browser."

On 7/14/2022 at 3:22 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

Unfortunately, that would be an issue with the browser, rather than an issue with the software. We can affect only what's shown on the browser. We couldnt cause the browser itself to crash.

I have advised and asked for users to clear their browser's cache. Which, from reports, seems to work.

That said, I am now getting reports on my other site of this same phenomenon occurring with android devices. This other site is running 4.7.

As I explained in the OP, there were no reports of this happening prior to the 4.7 rollout. I'm not saying that that has anything to do with it, I'm only making the observation of the two events having begun at roughly the same time.

As part of that I guess a question that arises for me here is, why is it only happening on random threads. If a user backs out of the browser reloads it and visits another page with the exact same conditions, it loads fine.

Then there is a question about the cache, is something happening with the software to have the browser store way more information than it previously did a week or so ago(?). 

I am just trying to understand what is happening here, because users not being able to visit pages within a site is definitely not good. Again, this situation did not exist a week ago...

Strange question, but do you have opcache enabled by chance under your php settings? Seems like 4.7.0 doesn't seem to like it. I could be wrong, but I had strange things happen when I enabled it using 4.7.0, once I shut it off everything went back to normal. Just throwing things out there you might try.

5 minutes ago, nodle said:

Strange question, but do you have opcache enabled by chance under your php settings? Seems like 4.7.0 doesn't seem to like it. I could be wrong, but I had strange things happen when I enabled it using 4.7.0, once I shut it off everything went back to normal. Just throwing things out there you might try.

They are on our Cloud. This is not something we have noticed (not say it's not present). If you are noticing an issue specifically with the core, I would advise creating your own topic. However, I would think if it was PHP, this would create an issue before the page loaded, not after thus cause a browser overloading/corrupted cache issue.

2 minutes ago, Jim M said:

They are on our Cloud. This is not something we have noticed (not say it's not present). If you are noticing an issue specifically with the core, I would advise creating your own topic. However, I would think if it was PHP, this would create an issue before the page loaded, not after thus cause a browser overloading/corrupted cache issue.

Sorry @Jim M I didn't see he was on the Cloud. I was just trying to help the guy out with something I ran across. My site is fine. Ya, I agree, it must be something else.

Im not sure where you are referring to with other topics being related. To be clear however, a site itself cannot cause a browser to crash entirely. Only a fault on the browser can really cause that. Please check what browsers they are all using, and that they are up to date with any updates.

On 7/19/2022 at 9:20 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

Im not sure where you are referring to with other topics being related. To be clear however, a site itself cannot cause a browser to crash entirely. Only a fault on the browser can really cause that. Please check what browsers they are all using, and that they are up to date with any updates.

Specfically. The screen image there looks much like what users are reporting in addition to having to reload the browser and clear it's cache.

I don't know to be honest but that it is happening across multiple browsers seems kind of weird. Users report using a variety of browsers all of which are stated to be up to date. Firefox, Brave, Chrome, Safari. One user is reporting that the only browser they are having any luck with is Firefox Beta.

Just received the following from a member via pm.

Board has been crashing on me on every screen for the last hour or so.  Samsung Galaxy Tablet (will get details on it a little later).

Can click once & stuff starts to open but then when going to a 2nd item/ page the page starts to load & lock up.

Sorry for not having additional data on the issue.

It seems to be getting out of control...

And just now, another follow up...

And now it seems fine again.

Edited by My Sharona

Just locked up on me on a desktop running the latest version of Chrome. And the person who PM'd me above just sent another one stating that he went to a sub-forum and it locked up on him again (Samsung browser)...

Edited by My Sharona

On your "Customer Service" forum, I see at the bottom that there is an invalid Twitter embed block being used at the bottom of the page simply because the account is suspended that you're trying to use there. I would suggest removing this but again, this is the browser being overloaded and the software itself doing anything it shouldn't.

3 minutes ago, Jim M said:

On your "Customer Service" forum, I see at the bottom that there is an invalid Twitter embed block being used at the bottom of the page simply because the account is suspended that you're trying to use there. I would suggest removing this but again, this is the browser being overloaded and the software itself doing anything it shouldn't.

I will go ahead and remove that block but my main concern is on the other site.

3 minutes ago, Jim M said:

this is the browser being overloaded and the software itself doing anything it shouldn't.

So, the issue here is all on Samsung, Chrome, Firefox, Safari and all the various other browsers out there? All experiencing the same issue, at the same time?

Not saying this isn't possible but... color me skeptical.

Edited by My Sharona

Just now, My Sharona said:

I will go ahead and remove that block but my main concern is on the other site.

So, the issue here is all on Samsung, Chrome, Firefox, Safari and all the various other browsers out there? 

If you are putting enough content on a page to overload them it is an issue with what is on the page and/or the browser. It is not something which is directly a bug in our software.

Just now, Jim M said:

If you are putting enough content on a page to overload them it is an issue with what is on the page and/or the browser. It is not something which is directly a bug in our software.

Alright, fair enough.

I guess the question then becomes, what is enough content on a page to overload it?

On both sites, there are Twitter block embeds, which are only on forum pages and thread listing pages.

Thread pages, which also seem to crash browsers, have none of these blocks, as I have learned that anything on a thread page other than the stock layout will cause problems on those pages. I do have the thread statistics enabled though.

I am just trying to understand what is happening... 

12 minutes ago, My Sharona said:

Alright, fair enough.

I guess the question then becomes, what is enough content on a page to overload it?

On both sites, there are Twitter block embeds, which are only on forum pages and thread listing pages.

Thread pages, which also seem to crash browsers, have none of these blocks, as I have learned that anything on a thread page other than the stock layout will cause problems on those pages. I do have the thread statistics enabled though.

I am just trying to understand what is happening... 

Every browser and device would be different, I cannot provide you a rule of thumb to abide by, I'm afraid. You would need to analyze what is on the page (including content your users posted) and see what is happening.

4 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Every browser and device would be different, I cannot provide you a rule of thumb to abide by, I'm afraid. You would need to analyze what is on the page (including content your users posted) and see what is happening.

So I'm clear in what you are saying... and my understanding here, is... On the site you visited, and commented about the twitter block.. the layout of that site has not changed in years. All of a sudden the site begins crashing browsers across the spectrum and I need to analyze what are on the pages?

These sites are on the Cloud, how would one suggest I "analyze" the content?

Edited by My Sharona

1 minute ago, My Sharona said:

So I'm clear in what you are saying... and my understanding here, is... On the site you visited, and commented about the twitter block.. the layout of that site has not changed in years. All of a sudden the site begins crashing browsers across the spectrum and I need to analyze what are on the pages?

I did not reproduce a crash, no. I just saw something which may be creating an issue and outlined it to you.

Just now, Jim M said:

I did not reproduce a crash, no. I just saw something which may be creating an issue and outlined it to you.

As stated, it is random. If you visited the site for 2 minutes and did not experience a crash, I'm not surprised. Many of our 'sessions' last for 30 minutes or more.

I edited my post above so you may not have seen my edit. Which was... These sites are on the Cloud, how would one suggest I "analyze" the content?