Unnecessary underline is coming on text

Gauravk
Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

We recently installed the Google Review widget in a few places and it's showing all text underlined.

Reported to the developer and he is saying that it's coming from an IPS style setting. Please help.

https://carnity.com/desert-driving-course

Scroll down and two widgets both show underline text.

I tested one of the old pages without any formatting it's working fine.

https://carnity.com/join_old

3 minutes ago, Gauravk said:

Thanks @Jim M can you please advise how to remove this?

If this was created via the WYSIWYG editor, highlight it and click the underline button in the editor toolbar.

If this was created via custom HTML, remove the underline elements. I'm afraid, custom HTML is outside our scope of support.

Sorry @Jim M I wasnt clear before.

This underline issue is happening in any new wysiwyg box I insert on any page and on any position with IPS header and formatting. I or developer codes haven't added that <u> tag. While pasting the widget codes source editor is completely blank.

That's why it's working fine on the page that has no IPS header and formatting, mentioned above.

6 minutes ago, Gauravk said:

This underline issue is happening in any new wysiwyg box I insert on any page and on any position with IPS header and formatting. I or developer codes haven't added that <u> tag. While pasting the widget codes source editor is completely blank.

That's why it's working fine on the page that has no IPS header and formatting, mentioned above.

Please clarify the steps you're taking. If you're copying the rich text and pasting it into a new WYSIWYG editor and have rich text formatting enabled for pasting, this indeed would copy over.

As you can see in the screenshot below, you have an underline selected in the toolbar and it is applying this formatting as instructed. Again, please clarify steps taken.

image.png

Added another one down in a """""NEW""""" Wysiwyg block below just above the bigger widget.

Same error showing.

Step1: Open the manage block pane on the left side

Step2: Scroll down to find WYSIWYG and drag on the desired place

Step3: Click source - add code - save.

Step4: Refresh the page and have an unwanted underline.

image.png.42e98d27ce6b5819b3aa84803b891149.png

image.thumb.png.fddf9829f3238fb0ef990bb2ded34cef.png

We cannot assist with customisation unfortunately. It is being inherited from your themes stylesheet.

This is the specific item if thats helpful

.ipsType_richText a, .ipsApp [data-ipsEditor] .cke_wysiwyg_div a {
    text-decoration: underline;
}

As mentioned  above, we cannot assist with custom development. As you are entering html directly, it would be for yourself to theme accordingly if you dont want it to follow the main themes styling rules. We would not advise on changing that within your stylesheet as it will change other elements of your site where that is the correct course of action. What you should be doing really is adding your own class to that item, and then adding your own CSS according to what you wish to see. If you do however want to change it entirely, you would add that rule to your custom.css file and change the rule. You shouldnt edit the style sheet itself, but instead override it as per design

Thanks, @Marc Stridgen for explaining this, but I still do not understand why the review widget is showing underline with IPS header and not on the page where there is no header.

We are using a stock theme to comply with IPS fully and I really wanna revert to stock (in case some error happened in past) and that's why wanted to know how to fix this error and revert the erroneous file.

I cannot find any file with a decoration tag in CSS that has been modified at the backend. Please help.

image.png.b7404973f413eaf5a2c901479dfac3a2.png

8 minutes ago, Gauravk said:

We are using a stock theme to comply with IPS fully and I really wanna revert to stock (in case some error happened in past) and that's why wanted to know how to fix this error and revert the erroneous file.

Unfortunately, the "Carnity" theme has customizations done to it. You can tell this by looking at the "Customized" label to the right of the row in ACP -> Customization -> Themes. The "Default" label would not mean this is our default, unmodified theme but rather it is the theme shown to users who have not made a theme selection.

The green "Invision" label would indicate that the theme is unmodified.

Sorry for the confusion here. The issue is you are adding your own code using the source button, and its inheriting the stylesheet from the site. That is normal behaviour. If you wish to show different styling, you would need to add that styling.

2 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

It’s trying to call references to styles defined by IPS.

And that's exactly where the problem lies and someone needs to fix that issue than calling it normal behaviour - to "underline a text".

3 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

IPS can’t fix/support 3rd party code you’re adding. 

Dude, scroll above and read slowly - this time.

4 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Dude… change your external code.

We have stopped touching IPS coding due to exceptional and world-class IPS support to blame everything in the world because of us changing a logo color. You can get a partial view from the above multiple explanations over and over and over and over again, than actually supporting/resolving the issue or simple admittance.

11 minutes ago, Gauravk said:

I'm sorry I refuse to accept this is normal behaviour to underline a text.

Can you please provide a bug fix for the same?

Unfortunately, you are refusing to accept how CSS works there. It is normal for html that does not have a a style defined, to follow any other CSS rules that apply to that element on the page. This isn't a 'call' that is being done. Its simply how html and CSS interact with each other on a page. 

What is being underlined there is not "text" but a "link", so yeah, links are usually underlined to make them more visible.

You could try adding the CSS class ipsType_noUnderline to your A element in that code, but from what I see looking at it it seems that some of the links are added by the Javascript running. Depending on the final HTML added by the JS you should be able to add some custom CSS rule in the custom.css file.

That said, as @Marc Stridgen pointed out above, this is not something IPS can help with since it's a customization based on your usage.

The underline is being added because by default we underline all links in content created within the editor, and so when you wrap the review box in a link, all text inside it becomes underlined. This is the expected behavior even though it doesn't look 'correct' in this specific instance.

You could exclude the review widget by adding something like this to your custom.css file:

.grw-net-widget,
.grw-net-widget * {
	text-decoration: none !important;
}

Not a single link is underlined anywhere, it's usually a hoover state that shows underlined text.

I wish I was a coder to understand css, html, js to talk from logical angles, but as an end-user who has zero technical knowledge, it's still contradicting why not all these texts (or links) are underlined and WYSIWYG editor inserted one is.....!

image.png.2eb9422ec184953e713c844f0bc4d469.png

image.png.24e33f204796b18953adaa9c1cf0ba7f.png

image.png.ee48100323f5aa47a0c25aad34bbcb9c.png

image.png.caa69e5c2611a9cbed4d380f817b0a11.png

image.png.dcb5277d484bfaee77b804cf93d9ee05.png