Referrals

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

How exactly does referrals work? It seems to be incredibly random whether or not it gives you credit for the referral. Do you have to be registered first, or can you click a referral link, register, purchase and get credit?

Can you add a referral code to the end of any url?

14 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You need to use the referral link given by someone to register, in order for it to be added as a referral on register

So what happens after they register, if they continue to use your referral will you keep making commission from sales?

Some of our users have been contacting me about this recently. Asking what it is, and why they are being notified that someone has used their referral code. We have not knowingly set anything up for referring other members to my knowledge.

Is it simply that someone has decided to register after visiting another user's profile page? From a Google search result perhaps?

2 hours ago, Emediate said:

Some of our users have been contacting me about this recently. Asking what it is, and why they are being notified that someone has used their referral code. We have not knowingly set anything up for referring other members to my knowledge.

Is it simply that someone has decided to register after visiting another user's profile page? From a Google search result perhaps?

No, not really. In the ACP on the member tabs is a section called "Referrals", if you activate that options each member will have a special tab on their profile settings where a special link will be displayed, the so called "refferal link". Any registered member can later take that link, give it to a friend or just posting it on a social media and any new guest wich register on that link appears as refferel for him.

9 hours ago, igniteyourfeelings said:

No, not really. In the ACP on the member tabs is a section called "Referrals", if you activate that options each member will have a special tab on their profile settings where a special link will be displayed, the so called "refferal link". Any registered member can later take that link, give it to a friend or just posting it on a social media and any new guest wich register on that link appears as refferel for him.

We also automatically tag on the referral bit to sharing areas of the site. Therefore, if I share the URL of a post, my referral id is tagged on and if someone joins from me doing so, I get credit.

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2022 at 12:15 PM, Daddy said:

How exactly does referrals work? It seems to be incredibly random whether or not it gives you credit for the referral. Do you have to be registered first, or can you click a referral link, register, purchase and get credit?

Can you add a referral code to the end of any url?

Willl be done as a custom work for Daddy.

10 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

I'm slightly confused/curious about what this custom work entails since you can already add a referrer ID to any URL. We automatically add them to share links already if referrals are enabled.

The idea is to expand referrals beyond just getting users to register. More over using as an affiliate system. I guess that's outside of the scope but certainly something that should be considered into IPS to complement IP.Downloads and IP.Commerce.

The ability to reward commission on purchases only to those who register to purchase leaves a lot to be desired imo.