Quote expansion

Chippy365

First of all, thanks for the ability to collapse quotes, it is very useful.

However, since we rolled out the update, we've had a very mixed response, and it appears to be like marmite, with some users despising it and others loving it.

Would it be possible to set the default action for quotes as to whether to expand or collapse them please? Much like preferences for opening topic links is customisable, so should the default action for quotes.

Edited by Chippy365

52 minutes ago, Joel R said:

My only problem with the Quote is that once you expand, you can't hide again.  

Especially on mobile, when I'm trying to scroll up or down to prior posts, hiding a long quote helps.  

In fairness most users have said that they find this aspect useful, that they can scroll through a page. We've had a lot of mixed reaction though and I can understand both arguments. Unfortunately it makes it very difficult for us to provide a fix and considering that IPS are now by all accounts improving the user customisation for behaviours such as topics, it would be really useful to have the same to determine whether quotes are expanded or not - incorporating @Paul E. idea of a community default as well.

• Management

We really try and avoid extra settings for minor interface elements like this. Generally when something changes there is a push back from experienced members, but over time this resistance fades and it's no longer a hot issue and they adapt their habits to suit.

Adding a setting adds extra technical debt to the product which means more inflection points for bugs, cross setting issues and so on.

If it's still a hot issue in a few weeks, please let me know and we can look at it again.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

We really try and avoid extra settings for minor interface elements like this. Generally when something changes there is a push back from experienced members, but over time this resistance fades and it's no longer a hot issue and they adapt their habits to suit.

Adding a setting adds extra technical debt to the product which means more inflection points for bugs, cross setting issues and so on.

If it's still a hot issue in a few weeks, please let me know and we can look at it again.

Thanks Matt. I appreciate it adds more technical debt and I'm more than happy to see how it goes - it's an ongoing battle we have with an older community who are largely very resistant to change! I'll let you know if we continue to get complaints in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 1:48 PM, Paul E. said:

This is a nice idea. It would also be nice to give users the ability to set a personal preference, as well as a community default.

That would be awesome!

On 1/26/2021 at 10:17 AM, Matt said:

Any way this could be done? Or a code work-around? Was given a javascript over-ride, but, have not done it as it is risky, and the quote issue is still a hot ticket I am asked about to try and revert back.

As a moderator, I'd like it off for myself, while on for the community by default. We can miss problematic things otherwise.... (expand example quote below for an illustration)

On 2/7/2021 at 11:42 AM, MNOfficial said:

Any way this could be done? Or a code work-around? Was given a javascript over-ride, but, have not done it as it is risky, and the quote issue is still a hot ticket I am asked about to try and revert back.

An 'extremely credible source' has called my office and told me that Lorem Ipsum's birth certificate is a fraud. If Trump Ipsum weren’t my own words, perhaps I’d be dating it. When other websites give you text, they’re not sending the best. They’re not sending you, they’re sending words that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing mistakes. They’re bringing misspellings. They’re typists… And some, I assume, are good words. He’s not a word hero. He’s a word hero because he was captured. I like text that wasn’t captured. I think my strongest asset maybe by far is my temperament. I have a placeholding temperament.

mister rogers middle finger GIF

Edited by Paul E.

On 2/7/2021 at 9:42 AM, MNOfficial said:

That would be awesome!

Going to take this to the team and see what they think 🙂 

I'll circle back and let ya know 🙏 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

ha!

I'll take a look at a later point to see about making this a per-user control.

Getting the application now, and I cannot wait. I'm super excited for the quotes to be restored to their original form, and, I know my community will, too! 🙏🏻

1 minute ago, Nathan Explosion said:

You have to wait for the above approval to be able to get the application - simple as that. Follow the linked item, you'll get a notification when it's approved - and this is the support topic:

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/446333-ne-ignore-quotes/?tab=comments#comment-2850196

Damn.... that sucks. Hope it is approved sooner rather than later. Have not been this excited in a hot minute!