Reporting members without content?

Dean_

So, unless I'm having the worst blonde moment of day one in 2021. I cannot find a way to report/alert staff to a member? The only way is to report via topic/post, and I think a status update.

What does one do when you need to report a member (from a members point of view) on IPS? As I feel this has been overlooked.

My example is 'KiwiGym' who is clearly a spam account, but I can't report it... This has what made me think about such an option.

P.S. KiwiGym is just spamming the follow button on random accounts today. 😊

2 minutes ago, Dean_ said:

So, unless I'm having the worst blonde moment of day one in 2021. I cannot find a way to report/alert staff to a member? The only way is to report via topic/post, and I think a status update.

What does one do when you need to report a member (from a members point of view) on IPS? As I feel this has been overlooked.

My example is 'KiwiGym' who is clearly a spam account, but I can't report it... This has what made me think about such an option.

P.S. KiwiGym is just spamming the follow button on random accounts today. 😊

There is not a report members option built in a.f.a.i.k. This is a very useful option to have btw.

3 minutes ago, bfarber said:

What is there to report?

Profile information that is spammy or offensive.

Imagine a new member registering and entering in something completely inappropriate in a free-text field. They never post, but maybe it's a link to something not okay for the community, or contains wildly offensive remarks about another member, or a group of people, etc. etc.

We've seen it all. Absolutely should have a "report this member" option on the profile.

36 minutes ago, bfarber said:

What is wrong with a member following someone/something? What is there to report? We wouldn't take action on that anyways.

30 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

Profile information that is spammy or offensive.

Imagine a new member registering and entering in something completely inappropriate in a free-text field. They never post, but maybe it's a link to something not okay for the community, or contains wildly offensive remarks about another member, or a group of people, etc. etc.

We've seen it all. Absolutely should have a "report this member" option on the profile.

Exactly this...

The member I mentioned above, is just auto-following everyone. That in itself is spamming as I had a whole page of activity on here of the account following others. I've mentioned this a couple of times on here now and the account is still active?

https://invisioncommunity.com/profile/612858-kiwigym/
954243744_Screenshot2021-01-04at16_43_53.thumb.png.f820ded79e65aa64c46e3a8291feafa6.png

1 hour ago, bfarber said:

What is wrong with a member following someone/something? What is there to report? We wouldn't take action on that anyways.

I think there are plenty of other things than links. Inappropriate avatars, signatures, profile headers etc. There is more than one reason that you may want to report a user but not specifically their content.

By all means a member account IS a content item in itself and contains content that is not posted anywhere else in the suite but utilized all over the suite.

I couldn't agree more with this one. I came across many such cases in the past that people wanted to report a member for offensive avatars/signatures that happened to have no content on the forum, meaning that they weren't able to report them. I remember this being a thing back in IPB 3.x, but has been removed ever since IPS 4.

1 hour ago, bfarber said:

I can't think of anywhere the user's signature would show if they don't have any content submitted.

For us, it's usually the member's avatar or profile image, (inappropriate image, or some sort of spam embedded) and/or free-text profile fields ("Selling only the finest watches in <locale> that ward off COVID and increase the length of your nose. Click here!") entered in to something that's intended to be for some other information.

Happy to supply the link to thousands of profiles like this on our community. Here's a taste of some on this community that have registered in the past six months:

Just do a member search for "Visitors" registered within the time period of your choosing and have a look. We have the same style of registrations. I suppose these could be potential clients, but my guess is that they're doing the same thing here they're doing on our site--registering to get their information into profile fields in an attempt at SEM nonsense. On our site, they are 100% not legitimate as we do not sell a product we'd be marketing to a company.

On 1/5/2021 at 3:46 AM, Dean_ said:

Exactly this...

The member I mentioned above, is just auto-following everyone. That in itself is spamming as I had a whole page of activity on here of the account following others. I've mentioned this a couple of times on here now and the account is still active?

https://invisioncommunity.com/profile/612858-kiwigym/
954243744_Screenshot2021-01-04at16_43_53.thumb.png.f820ded79e65aa64c46e3a8291feafa6.png

Have to be careful here, when l moderated another forum, we had a new member that didn't listen to anyone and just kept blindly posting a new post to every question he was trying to answer, (so 4 members ask, and he puts up 4 seperate posts without quoting, or a dogs mess).

This went on and on, until we were convinced that he was spamming, but he wasn't, he just didn't understand so the more we tried the more aggressive he became.

:unsure: