Why am I so bad at using IPB to rebuild it's theme cache?

SJ77

If you move your site around and some how bugger up the CSS_BUILT_xx directory in the uploads folder, You will spend forever looking at

[[Template core/front/global/globalTemplate is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

or just plain, not having CSS and looking at an ugly site.

No amount of running the support tool seems to fix this.

It's very frustrating.  I have no idea how the theme cache works or how to fix it once integrity is lost.

Thoughts?

Edited by SJ77

5 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

So IPS is bad at something because, in your own words, you've buggered something else up?

What exactly did you do, and how did you bugger it up'?

Oh,.. god come on bro. I get it you're team IPB. I have been here a long time too. Clearly I support IPB.

I don't understand how the theme cache works, can you help or you don't know either?

To answer your question, I have a site that looks like hell because the cache won't rebuild. I either get [[Template core/front/global/globalTemplate is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Or I get no CSS at all. Haven't found a way to fix it.

Edited by SJ77

3 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

You mentioned you moved your site. Are permissions correct on the filesystem for IPS to create the directory and files?

Is this 4.5 or 4.4?

Good thought. Yeah, everything is writable.

Not even sure I need to be specific right now because in general I've had this same issue multiple times.

Im not really sure why running the support tool doesn't just dump it all and rebuild from scratch.

Edited by SJ77

3 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

The support tool doesn't rebuild that for you - it clears the 'datastore' folder.

Go in to your database, go to the core_themes table, determine the name of the theme with the set_id, then go in to the ACP and edit/save that theme

This is a very helpful trick. Thank you!!!

3 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Next time, explain the issue instead of whinging about IPS software not being capable of mind-reading.

*drops mic*

really?

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

There I fixed the title of this thread. Does that help you? @Nathan Explosion

3 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

screw it - not interested.

WOW. You don't think you're being just a tad bit over sensitive? Someone said something slightly negative about IPB

If anything it was just poor wording. That happens when folks are frustrated. Seeing as I am frequently struggling with cache that won't rebuild, it seems like an opportunity for something within the IPB framework that possibly, just maybe could be improved. (sorry)

Edited by SJ77

6 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Next time - stop and think. Get help based on what you've done and explain what it is you've done, instead of blaming the tools you used...it helps others to help you.

What it is I've done is struggled with getting cache to rebuild properly for YEARS. It's happening again for the 20th time probably.

It is a little frustrating. I get that any time someone suggests that there are opportunities for improvements a few folks will come rushing in to white knight.

That doesn't change my mind though. Something isn't right about this. I've used LOTS of other forum software and never had issues like this.

Does it mean, that I am saying IPB is horrible NO, I love IPB so please relax. I am simply pointing out that once a template/theme cache is botched it's VERY hard to fix. nothing is working, and there aren't any clues in the ACP (which is hard to read without CSS anyway)

It's like searching for a needle in a haystack trying to figure it out. There are no clues in the support log either.

I get your point though, that it's hard to help someone without detailed explanation of steps that created an issue. I get it. Thank you

Edited by SJ77

3 hours ago, SJ77 said:

Im not really sure why running the support tool doesn't just dump it all and rebuild from scratch.

Yes, it seems like a bit of logic in the support tool to say -- "does the folder that I should be looking for exist? No? better recreate from scratch" would be an improvement here.

There are probably some people that upload things directly into the filesystem and would be upset when the files were removed though.

3 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

Try to create a new default theme. See how it goes.

Created a new default theme. Set site to it. Same thing, no CSS.

Reinstalled Database... same thing no CSS

I'm lucky this isn't my live site. shezzz

Edited by SJ77

7 minutes ago, Adlago said:

Do you have another theme in this community? If so, through ACP - even without CSS you can navigate and change the default front-end theme, with a lower ID.

Yes, I changed the theme. I even went into the ACP (without CSS) and added a brand new default theme. No luck. It just refuses to run the CSS