Next Unread Topic

Hendo

Removed the name of the content (e.g. topic) from the “Next Unread” link which could consume significant server resources on large communities.

Any chance you could give us the option to turn this back on? My community is very small and we'd rather take the potential hit, as "next unread topic" is a bit of a pain, to be honest.

We're missing the old way of this feature, as well. The new way is really inelegant and my board is very unhappy with it. I understand the reasoning behind the change, but the little guys like us, however unimportant to IPS we are, should have a voice, too.

To further add to this, now the new way has added a pitfall. There are times that it shows "Next Unread Topic" when there really is no next topic that is unread. So, you click it and get a page with an error message (something like "Oops, something went wrong"). It's happened to several people on my board, so I know it's not just me. Then, when you back out to the main index, it still shows the forum in bold face, as though there are still threads unread. However, when you go back in to the forum, there isn't anything unread. We have downloaded the latest update, 4.4.1. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

18 hours ago, Carol Cornwall said:

To further add to this, now the new way has added a pitfall. There are times that it shows "Next Unread Topic" when there really is no next topic that is unread. So, you click it and get a page with an error message (something like "Oops, something went wrong"). It's happened to several people on my board, so I know it's not just me. Then, when you back out to the main index, it still shows the forum in bold face, as though there are still threads unread. However, when you go back in to the forum, there isn't anything unread. We have downloaded the latest update, 4.4.1. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

That would be a wholly unrelated issue, and I would encourage you to submit a ticket if you can reproduce this. We simply stopped querying to figure out what the topic title's name is in this particular area, which would not impact whether the system believes there are unread items or not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 5:57 AM, bfarber said:

That would be a wholly unrelated issue, and I would encourage you to submit a ticket if you can reproduce this. We simply stopped querying to figure out what the topic title's name is in this particular area, which would not impact whether the system believes there are unread items or not.

Thank you. I see it wasn't addressed in today's upgrade.

• Management
On 3/20/2019 at 2:04 PM, Carol Cornwall said:

Thank you. I see it wasn't addressed in today's upgrade.

I checked your account and I did not see you submitted a ticket about the issue you were having. Without a ticket to research the issue it would not be fixed in today's (or any day's) upgrade.

13 minutes ago, Charles said:

I checked your account and I did not see you submitted a ticket about the issue you were having. Without a ticket to research the issue it would not be fixed in today's (or any day's) upgrade.

Maybe you can address it now that you see there's a problem, then?  I find your support process through the admin interface very unhelpful. Thanks.

• Management
1 hour ago, Carol Cornwall said:

Maybe you can address it now that you see there's a problem, then?  I find your support process through the admin interface very unhelpful. Thanks.

As no one else is reporting it we need to see a live site with the issue. Feel free to submit a ticket if you want us to look at the issue. If you do not want to that's of course fine 

On 3/11/2019 at 2:45 PM, bfarber said:

As a general rule, you can't have options for things that can be potentially destructive to large communities. Big communities will then just turn the setting on, and we'll have to still support it and make sure it works well.

I understand the logic but a guide in the knowledge base such as "large boards optimised settings/boost performance/heavy settings to avoid" would be ideal tbh.

As much as big boards are worth we all pay the same fee for renewals big or small. Obviously cloud customers would have to be approached differently a little though.

We have decent sized board but I dont expect larger boards to run as fast as small without some tweaks/work but the larger they are the more resources we have to tweak/manage them.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah it's not something that a support person will necessarily see straight away.

You could make an account and sit there for hours and not see it come up, and then you'll get a few in a day.

Experiencing this error in our community as well, next time it happens I'll get a screen shot and submit a ticket, it's is sporadic though so hard to catch. I do however see in my error logs this happening and it's been reported by our members. Screen shot of error log below.

Capture.thumb.PNG.67b1e220942202d79e53afe4bb1aa94c.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, 

Have you considered smarter, less resource-intensive ways of retrieving the topic title? 

One of the big issues with this, is in the cases where the next unread-button takes you to a topic that you've already read. Since you are taken to a specific post and not above the topic title. In order for members to figure out which topic you've been taken to, they have to scroll up to see the topic title or a familiar post that lets them remember - and then scroll back down - in order to continue reading. 

It's not exactly ideal, and we've gotten a lot of feedback from members missing this feature since I upgraded the community from 4.3 to 4.4. (Which we did on Friday)

So some suggestions on things you could do:

• Find a smarter, more resource efficient way, to get the same information as before
  • Let us enable this for our community
  • Find a way to present the topic title when you are taken directly to a post, as a result of clicking on the button. 

Yes, we considered "more efficient" ways of doing this. Such a method was not found at the time.

The problem is, in a nutshell, figuring out what is unread. It's one thing to run the calculations for the specific users who click the link at the time they click the link. It's another thing to run this calculation on every single topic page load especially when statistically, not that many users actually end up clicking to the next unread topic anyways.

Archived