Announcement as notification

zyx

It'd be great if there were an option for announcements to be pushed out as notifications to specific user groups (as in the little bell notifications, rather than a box above the forum/sidebar as it currently is).

Not sure if there is a reason this isn't included, but I'm sure many people would have uses for this.  🙂 

• 5 months later...

A very belated response - but thanks for pointing me in the right direction for those plugins.

I'll certainly take a look at both, but I still feel in the future it would be great to see more announcement options within core IPS.

For example:

• Announcements via notifications
  • Announcements via private messages
  • Announcements as popup window
  • Announcement where something must be agreed to / clicked / acknowledged before proceeding to use site (similar to when rules/terms change, but customisable for other uses)

I realise different paid plugins can do some of these, but I am sure I can't be alone in hoping that IPS consider adding more ways to directly reach users in future versions. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/7/2019 at 11:09 PM, theipsguy said:

A very belated response - but thanks for pointing me in the right direction for those plugins.

I'll certainly take a look at both, but I still feel in the future it would be great to see more announcement options within core IPS.

For example:

• Announcements via notifications
  • Announcements via private messages
  • Announcements as popup window
  • Announcement where something must be agreed to / clicked / acknowledged before proceeding to use site (similar to when rules/terms change, but customisable for other uses)

I realise different paid plugins can do some of these, but I am sure I can't be alone in hoping that IPS consider adding more ways to directly reach users in future versions. 

So I believe I can achieve the first 3 of these, but it requires 3 seperate third-party applications, some of which haven't been updated in a while. 

I'm not sure if this on IPS' radar at all, but I'd still love to see more ways to directly communicate with members. Right now it's difficult to know who has seen the announcement, whereas with the latter option above you could be sure someone had seen it, or with PM's you could see who'd opened it etc. 

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Maxxius said:

I second that, having a core feature to send news as notifications to members using various filters much like BULK MAIL does. it would be great if we could send short messages as notifications to members. even having some sort of analytics how many members viewed the notification or click on it would be nice.

@Jordan Invision

I like this! Jotted this feature down.

@Joel R mentioned this already but this should accomplish what you want no? 

Another great tool is the group mention plugin:

6 minutes ago, Maxxius said:

Yeah, I know of these plugins, but I'm afraid I don't feel comfortable with letting a 3rd party get involved with such a complex (imho) feature.

I'd feel much better if that was a core feature developed and supported by IPS themselves.

I feel you on that. My advice would be to give it a try even if it makes you uncomfortable and see if it works well for you. If not, turn it off :] Might be $10 very well spent! 

2 hours ago, Maxxius said:

Yeah, I know of these plugins, but I'm afraid I don't feel comfortable with letting a 3rd party get involved with such a complex (imho) feature.

I'd feel much better if that was a core feature developed and supported by IPS themselves.

Custom Notifications is amazing!!! I use Group mention only for my staff to mention other staff teams because I recommend my staff follow staff relevant forums so my users don't need the ability to do that.

I know custom notifications will never be implemented as core, its been said before but I can't recall the post. Its basically seen as intrusive to a users experience.

For me I use it to remind people of stuff.

On 4/22/2021 at 7:05 PM, Maxxius said:

I'm the developer of the group mention plugin. If it makes you feel more comfortable, the notifications itself are still done by the IPS system, it uses the same system of IPS of a single user mention.

4 hours ago, Fosters said:

The app works, but there's a bug in a IPS member filter which you've run into! 

sure? you also stopped answering via PM without investigating for the problem... And it was IPS Staff who said that the problem with my board is your app...

Los Angeles Lakers Ok GIF by NBA