Jump to content

'Print Topic' option missing after upgrade?


Recommended Posts

We have a moderator only topic that we have been 'printing' and saving to a file for years.

After a recent upgrade (not sure if it was the last one... may have been earlier) the 'Print Topic' option seems to have disappeared.

Does anyone know how we get a topic into 'printable' (we print it to pdf and save) version?

Would appreciate any help :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

The “print version” uses a print stylesheet. Print via browser is a mess. 

Everything is “print via browser”. In the past a simplified page output was used, which was then printed “via browser”. Today this isn’t necessary anymore, since you can include print CSS in the regular CSS and most responsive pages even print fine without it, since they adapt to the page size just as they adapt to the browser window. 

So printing from a stock IPS page isn’t all that bad. It might be bit wasteful, which can be tweaked with a couple of CSS declarations. I think Rikki even posted an example in the past and I modified client pages this way myself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

I  want to print a topic, which is: title and posts. I don't need the rest.

Yes, and that can be hidden with print-specific CSS declarations (e.g. display:none), which are applied while printing. No point in 2018 to duplicate every regular template of the entire suite to create a simplified, printable copy. Because of course people might not only want to print topics. It’s much easier to solve this globally with CSS today. 

Edited by opentype
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

 

On 10/5/2018 at 9:14 PM, opentype said:

Today this isn’t necessary anymore, since you can include print CSS in the regular CSS and most responsive pages even print fine without it, since they adapt to the page size ju

Can I ask why the Print Topic function was removed?  (yes, we did upgrade from version 3.x  ).  Seems strange to be removing a function.

Ctrl + P only prints the current page, not all the pages of a topic.

We don't have any technical people and the topic we regularly print is now 34 pages long.  We can't delete the earlier posts until we have 'printed' and saved to a PDF.

"since you can include print CSS in the regular CSS" - not exactly ignoramus user friendly 😭

Can we pleeease have it back?!?

In the meantime, would really appreciate it if someone is able explain in relatively simple terms, how I can print all pages of a 34 page topic?

 

Edited by dNetAus2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dNetAus2 said:

Ctrl + P only prints the current page, not all the pages of a topic.

 

7 hours ago, dNetAus2 said:

In the meantime, would really appreciate it if someone is able explain in relatively simple terms, how I can print all pages of a 34 page topic?

You may use this mod and then print whole page via browser options:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Dawid,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, and for the information on the plugin.

I have purchased and installed it, however it isn't working.   Have followed the instructions and double checked twice, with no luck.

Have contacted their support and hopefully will hear back soon.  Fingers Crossed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I have contacted the support for this "Show full topic" plugin twice now and it has been nearly 8 weeks and haven't heard anything from them.

It isn't working.

Has anyone else used this?  

Dawid, just wondering why you recommended it?

Have you tried it, and if so, does it work for you?

Any reason it may not be working for us?  At this point we just 'donated' the cost of it... and we are a charity ourselves 😢

Would really appreciate some help here.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dNetAus2 said:

Dawid, just wondering why you recommended it?

Because I've found it in the Marketplace. I found only it. That's why and "I know author of this plugin".

 

5 minutes ago, dNetAus2 said:

I have contacted the support for this "Show full topic" plugin twice now and it has been nearly 8 weeks and haven't heard anything from them.

I'm surprised. Maybe I could help fix if for you? Send me PM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 5/29/2019 at 5:37 AM, dNetAus2 said:

I have contacted the support for this "Show full topic" plugin twice now and it has been nearly 8 weeks and haven't heard anything from them.

It isn't working.

Has anyone else used this?  

Dawid, just wondering why you recommended it?

Have you tried it, and if so, does it work for you?

Any reason it may not be working for us?  At this point we just 'donated' the cost of it... and we are a charity ourselves 😢

Would really appreciate some help here.  

Was the issues fixed? I need something good to print to PDF or html page for archive purpose. Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am surprised that is not apparent. Probably we did not explain it well.

For forum topics maybe your solution would be sufficient if you had an option to print multiple page topics in one go.

But In my case i am using extensively the Pages subsystem to organize our hundreds of support articles for our users.

What i need is an option somehow to be able to print our articles BUT ONLY THE ARTICLE BODY, not the rest of the webpage.

I think that this is a must in the articles section (Pages) at least.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, EarthDog said:

What i need is an option somehow to be able to print our articles BUT ONLY THE ARTICLE BODY, not the rest of the webpage.

It can be done easily with just a few lines of CSS. You essentially just add a “display:none” for everything you don’t need. Sidebar, header, footer—whatever it is. 

But it makes sense to do that as a custom job, not a site feature, since what is to be included might depend on each site or even each page as your request demonstrates. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, opentype said:

It can be done easily with just a few lines of CSS. You essentially just add a “display:none” for everything you don’t need. Sidebar, header, footer—whatever it is. 

But it makes sense to do that as a custom job, not a site feature, since what is to be included might depend on each site or even each page as your request demonstrates. 

Even so, what you be an "organized" manner of doing it in IPB? A custom plugin? A template edit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the AdminCP under Customization > Themes, click the </> icon next to your theme. On the template editor page click the CSS tab, and then click on custom.css.

Add this to the end of the file:

@media print {
  /* Custom styles go here */
}

And then add whatever CSS you need to (i.e. to hide unimportant page elements) where you see "/* Custom styles go here */".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bfarber said:

In the AdminCP under Customization > Themes, click the </> icon next to your theme. On the template editor page click the CSS tab, and then click on custom.css.

Add this to the end of the file:


@media print {
  /* Custom styles go here */
}

And then add whatever CSS you need to (i.e. to hide unimportant page elements) where you see "/* Custom styles go here */".

So this rules will aplly when i use ctrl+P ,correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...