Google webmaster tools - mobile usability issues

Day_

For the moment it won't be a problem. But if you're concerned about mobile results, this should be cleaned up by early April. When I do a test on this thread, I'm told by the test tool that everything is A-OK. Perhaps you should take a closer look at why your site specifically is having problems.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.invisionpower.com%2Ftopic%2F408062-google-webmaster-tools-mobile-usability-issues%2F

• 3 weeks later...

I would ignore them. Google's scans don't spell accuracy, they are pretty generic.

I got one a while ago, but for 3.4.6, e.g

Google systems have tested 2,290 pages from your site and found that 100% of them have critical mobile usability errors. The errors on these 2,290 pages severely affect how mobile users are able to experience your website.

Doing a scan on Google Page Speed only reveals: "Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content". Which isn't an actual problem in this case.

Rhett posted a KB on this, and it certainly did do the trick for 3.4.x:

https://www.invisionpower.com/support/kb/_/34x-google-mobile-friendly-issues-r75

Google complained about 102,000 pages not being mobile friendly, and after going through the steps in Rhett's article, it was happy again.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

​Thats for 3.4.x - The Op is posting about 4.RC i believe

Rhett posted a KB on this, and it cert

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1">

ainly did do the trick for 3.4.x:

https://www.invisionpower.com/support/kb/_/34x-google-mobile-friendly-issues-r75

Google complained about 102,000 pages not being mobile friendly, and after going through the steps in Rhett's article, it was happy again.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

​This works well when the forums is the start page.

When IP.Content is the home page (frontpage 1x2x2) - Not mobile-friendly.

Here are some of my tests with page 990 pixels wide

If using a meta tag

<meta name="viewport" content="width=990, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1">

page displays all of the smartphone display. In this way, the text is too small.

If using width=495, image of the first column is friendly. But display the whole page is problem.

I think that should be added in Front Manager/Frontpage Settings/Other ->Frontpage mobil template

which setting to select the  "Front Page (Single Column)"  - and there will be no problem with Mobile-Friendly Test

​This works well when the forums is the start page.

When IP.Content is the home page (frontpage 1x2x2) - Not mobile-friendly.

​IP.Content was not made with mobile screens in mind and there are no settings or meta tags to fix that easily. One would need to make a lot of changes to the templates and CSS to make IP.Content fully mobile-friendly. If you haven’t done that already, it’s probably better just to make the 4.0 upgrade when it’s final and have a mobile-friendly site through the upgrade. 

​IP.Content was not made with mobile screens in mind and there are no settings or meta tags to fix that easily. One would need to make a lot of changes to the templates and CSS to make IP.Content fully mobile-friendly. If you haven’t done that already, it’s probably better just to make the 4.0 upgrade when it’s final and have a mobile-friendly site through the upgrade. 

​It turned out easier than what I thought.

Furthermore width 990 follows and initial-scale have value 4.
Best result for the text is as increase in CSS font from 13 to 39.

Mobile-Friednly Test has already "Awesome! This page is mobile-friendly.":thumbsup:

Using the initial scale = 4 decreases proportionally page 4 times. This reduces the font and also 4 times. (13-> ~~ 3 px) and text is very small.

When changing from 13 to 39 ( 39:4 ~~ 10 px - text is ок). I tested and 48. Compared to the images I saw large text and therefore chose 39.

I think that is understandable - the changes are only in a mobile skin.

See test

Here's a check for your website: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/

I'm using IPB 3.4.7 and both, my IP-Content home-page and IP-Board forum is completely mobile-unfriendly => I'm afraid that google is going to rank me down.... hard

The new google algorithm will start at 21. of April... not enough time for IPB4 (plus some fixing-versions) => what to do?

(for some reason the screenshot provided does show the normal theme and doesn't switch to the mobile theme... why that?)

Since v3.4.x is still being supported, perhaps IPS could release a responsive skin or upgrade? Or too much work?

Nah I don't think they will release it. Probably need to purchase separately from another skin coder or so.

Archived