Please provide a list of all of the features that were in 3.X, but have now been removed in 4.0

openfire

i dunno why....but i have the feeling that some of the missing features are coded for money later from the coders here...

must be funny, when v4.1, 4.5 and 5.0 comes with THIS features integrated...another way to burn money?

ANYWAY:

I want to say thank you ATM for:

- the help here (from this great community) even when a lot of my topics are not answered.

- the Team, who always answer my little silly client support-questions & and gave us IPB v4 !!!

and last but not least:

- the (paid and also free) coders & skinners here, who was making my board "like it is" (And ...yeah...i LOVE 3.4.6 !!!)

THANK YOU!

BTW: can the Team create a pinned topic with all the missing/new...whatever...changes between v3 and v4 ? I know...it is additional work - but we all are paid customers, too!!!

(and it would be nice to hear something about future plans for the next versions....)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One core feature that was removed in IPS4 is the Media Tags. But i cried about this so much in the Pre Release Board, im not cry again here.

Another feature missing from 3.4. We could choose the default sort of things. Here in IPS4, for example in Question & Answer topics, the default is rate and we cannot change it. In the Search Results, the default is relevance and we cannot change it. We as Admin, should be able to change the default of this. 
While for a site, Rate is the better, for another site, it is Date.

BTW: can the Team create a pinned topic with all the missing/new...whatever...changes between v3 and v4 ? I know...it is additional work - but we all are paid customers, too!!!

(and it would be nice to hear something about future plans for the next versions....)

​This.

Please.

One core feature that was removed in IPS4 is the Media Tags. But i cried about this so much in the Pre Release Board, im not cry again here.

Another feature missing from 3.4. We could choose the default sort of things. Here in IPS4, for example in Question & Answer topics, the default is rate and we cannot change it. In the Search Results, the default is relevance and we cannot change it. We as Admin, should be able to change the default of this. 
While for a site, Rate is the better, for another site, it is Date.

​Wait... media tags are gone?  Is there no ability to add custom tag?

​Wait... media tags are gone?  Is there no ability to add custom thread?

​No. We have had a very large discussion in the Pre release Board(it does not exist now) last year.
They told us there is no intentions, or its not viable, to add it back. Media Tags are gone forever. 

​No. We have had a very large discussion in the Pre release Board(it does not exist now).They told us there is no intentions, or its not viable, to add it back. Media Tags are gone forever. 

​So the posts that exist with those tags are just going to show a URL or what?

​So the posts that exist with those tags are just going to show a URL or what?

​Those posts will get rebuild to show the media tag.

Buy you will not be able to create a new media tag, so when your members post a url in IPS4 that used that media tag, now it will only show the url, nothing more.

Buy you will not be able to create a new media tag, so when your members post a url in IPS4 that used that media tag, now it will only show the url, nothing more.

​argh that means instagram, twitter, and SoundCloud links will no longer properly embed in the thread... arrrggghhh why remove all these vital features, IPS... :cry:

- IP.C >>  IPS 4 Pages (and blocks, templates, custom fields... where are we? -> Will you every be able to get full IP.C functionality in Pages?)

​Please stop spreading this FUD. sure, there are a spare few features missing that I would like to see added back in, but this is not at all a fair assessment. Custom fields in pages are far more robust than anything we had in the content application. Blocks have seen a very nice rethink, utilizing widgets that are globally available instead of code custom for the application, while still allowing custom code and templates. Templates themselves have seen quite an improvement, with logical grouping applied and less cramming it all into one template cause you had to. Articles database features have parity with the rest of the databases, allowing much more flexibility instead of being forced to misuse articles for something else due to the unique feature set.

Most importantly, it doesn't take a developer to use it. That alone is a massive improvement.

More features were added than are 'missing' in the pages application compared to content.

​There have been a few other topics about this :) If you are only just now noticing Friends is gone it's clearly not that important to you ;)

Friends system was replaced with a Follow system.

​There are things that I didn't know were deleted from 4. that I am learning of now. . .doesn't mean that they are not important.

Also many forum suites don't have Post Numbering listed in post. What is the argument for needing this? I am interested in hearing it. 

​Just today, I had a user ask to take post numbers 3, 8 and 15 from a topic and split them into a new topic. Easy enough to check those boxes and spin them off into a new topic.  We also use post numbers (plural sometimes) to discuss certain posts within a topic with clients for customer service issues.

​Yes the can coexist. Here is the short version:

1. Friend system in 3.x was pointless. It didn't really do much of anything but show a list of people.
  2. In a community system like ours content-discovery is important so being able to Follow someone you are interested in to be notified of what they're up to is way more useful.
  3. We have plans for a "friends" system in 4.1 that is actually useful and does some cool stuff very different from the Follow system.

Going back to point #2: really a Follow system makes the most sense for the majority of our clients. It allows for content discovery which is important to most any community. A Friends system is more niche but we think we have come up with some interesting ideas for that in a future version.

​I agree with this sentiment.

​No. We have had a very large discussion in the Pre release Board(it does not exist now) last year.They told us there is no intentions, or its not viable, to add it back. Media Tags are gone forever. 

​At least the functionality is still in the core and can be called with plugin. I attach one to this post and if one is able to modify the RegEx code and the HTML output, you can use that to get any Media Tag back in your system. After modifying the file, it is simply installed as plugin in the main site settings. 

​Can anyone confirm that who has performed an upgrade from 3.4?

I mean: Have you set up custom(!) media tags in 3.4 and are they turned correctly into the appropriate HTML code after conversion?
I have no doubt that standard stuff like YouTube and so on will work, but does it really work well for every media tag that was set up in 3.4?

MyFonts2.xml

There are fewer options for new-reply email notifications, a decision I don't understand. Have posted about it, but distinct lack of interest, so maybe it's just me. 

I find it kind of odd that features people may rely on can apparently be 'forgotten', and given the amount of time spent telling us about new features, it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask a little time is taken to tell us about the missing ones. I remember cries of distress when topic sub-titles were done away with some years back. Sure, we might be able to reinstate our particular pet features, but it'd be preferable to know what's coming so we can prepare for it - or opt not to upgrade yet. 

Yes, it's possible for us to do a full 3.4 vs 4.0 audit and see what's there and what's not, but surely this can be more efficiently done at the IPS end. There's also the issue that (and correct me if I'm wrong - I think I've read this, but it's hard to search for) that some features have been removed for 4.0 but are planned to be reinstated in 4.1. Do we wait for 4.1, stay with 3.4, pay for a mod?

To take my own example linked to above - previously there were four options, now there are three. Where do I even look to find out how those four 3.4 options will map onto the three in 4.0. Do thousands of us test it individually (or more likely, not notice and deal with confused members) or do you tell us once?

​At least the functionality is still in the core and can be called with plugin. I attach one to this post and if one is able to modify the RegEx code and the HTML output, you can use that to get any Media Tag back in your system. After modifying the file, it is simply installed as plugin in the main site settings. 

​Can anyone confirm that who has performed an upgrade from 3.4?

I mean: Have you set up custom(!) media tags in 3.4 and are they turned correctly into the appropriate HTML code after conversion?
I have no doubt that standard stuff like YouTube and so on will work, but does it really work well for every media tag that was set up in 3.4?

MyFonts2.xml

​I can. 

http://4dot.cheersandgears.com/topic/84383-1973-oldsmobile-toronado-video/

Nothing was "removed" in 4.0 specifically from 3.x. Things were added, changed, modified, etc. but nothing was removed just for the fun of it.

During our initial preview stages a lot of things were added in 4.0 that we either forgot about or were things we thought were no longer needed but it turns out were needed.

If you see something specific missing in 4.0 that you have a use for please start a topic with information on how you use a feature. Often we are happy to add something if it is used in a way we did not realize at the time we implemented features. A make-a-list topic like this is easily overlooked :)

​@Charles, I think you might have erred in your statement.  Look at IP.Blog.  You literally removed every single feature that there was there!  Everything!  Granted, a lot of it was Kruft, but there are some that I cannot upgrade without having a solution for. I posted them here:

I have also raised this comment multiple times on the test forums from the first time we saw the new Blogs.

Archived