Application Menus with Pages Menus

LPeet

Is there a way to change the application menus items in combination with pages menus? An example is I use pages as a home page and I also use articles but I would like articles farther down the menus. I got the part about moving around the application menus and pages having a parent but I haven't figured out how to separate the pages menu in combination with the application menus.

Current

• Home <pages page item> <home is next to other pages because same app>
  • Articles <pages page item> <articles is next to other pages because same app>
  • Downloads <application item>
  • Support <application item> <support is next to store because same app commerce>
  • Store <application item> <store is next to support because same app commerce>
  • Gallery <application item>
  • Calendar <application item>
  • Forum <application item>
  • Blogs <application item>

Would like

• Home <pages page item>
  • Downloads <application item>
  • Store <application item>
  • Gallery <application item>
  • Calendar <application item>
  • Forum <application item>
  • Blogs <application item>
  • Support <pages folder item>
    • Articles <pages page item>
    • FAQ <pages page item>
    • Tickets <application item>

Thank you,

Short answer, no.

Menu items created with pages will always follow the pages application (for example see below) - it is not an improvement, it is a step backwards.

• forum
  • pages main menu
  • Folder menu
    • page menu 1
    • page menu 2
  • Other main menu created with pages
  • Gallery
  • Downloads

There definitely needs to be a more robust menu system. As it is now, we need to visit System: Applications, General Configuration, and Pages: Menu just to set up a menu that, ultimately, can't be customized fully. A customizable menu system would be preferable over visiting three separate locations.

…  it is not an improvement, it is a step backwards

​I agree. 

I when I opened my 4.0 site for a couple of beta testers, the first thing they complained about was the illogical menu ordering. 

I understand IPS couldn’t overhaul that for the 4.0 release, but a fully customizable menu structure needs to come back at some point. LPeet just gave another example why it is necessary. 

This is easily

"Would like

• Home <pages page item>
  • Downloads <application item>(Permissions App 'Show in navigation?- No' ; Pages-Menu-URL'http://our sait/downloads/' Title - Downloads- Save)
  • Store <application item> similarly as above
  • Gallery <application item>similarly as above
  • Calendar <application item>similarly as above
  • Forum <application item>similarly as above
  • Blogs <application item>similarly as above
    • FAQ <pages page item>
    • Tickets <application item>"

Then you can arrange the navigation menu of Menu Pages as you like.

How about this then for a wish list because as you start to move the menus around you will find limitations.

• More control in the ACP over page menus in combination application menus

Another Solution: Because IPS did a great job separating out the html and css with good naming conventions it's easy remedied by modifying the themes template navBar, userBar, and utilitiesMenu

This is easily

"Would like

• Home <pages page item>
  • Downloads <application item>(Permissions App 'Show in navigation?- No' ; Pages-Menu-URL'http://our sait/downloads/' Title - Downloads- Save)
    • FAQ <pages page item>

​Hey @Adlago I tried this, but for the forum app, I do not see a way to hide it from the navigation so that I can then add it as a URL link.  Maybe I'm missing something, but in BETA 8, when I go to System --- > Application ---> Forums, there is no permission to hide forums from navigation.  Maybe I'm missing something with that? 

Thanks for the help!

​Hey @Adlago I tried this, but for the forum app, I do not see a way to hide it from the navigation so that I can then add it as a URL link.  Maybe I'm missing something, but in BETA 8, when I go to System --- > Application ---> Forums, there is no permission to hide forums from navigation.  Maybe I'm missing something with that? 

Thanks for the help!

​Are you selecting the permissions for the top-level forum app? If you look at the permissions for "Forums" under its drop down, it won't be in that. If you are looking at the right one, then it's definitely gotta be a bug.

Thanks for the help!

Please see this

navig.thumb.png.d9938cf34b2c22b12d1392ad

This is easily

"Would like

• Home <pages page item>
    • FAQ <pages page item>

This is actually an workaround. You're disabling all apps tabs and recreating all of them on Pages. Works.

This is actually an workaround. You're disabling all apps tabs and recreating all of them on Pages. Works.

​Whilst that's true, it's still highly inconvenient in that we have to use full site addresses. That's not much good for us at the minute, given that we're developing away from domain that the site will eventually occupy once we go live. I struggle to understand why we can't give relative addresses for internal links.

​Whilst that's true, it's still highly inconvenient in that we have to use full site addresses.

I just I did the test:
In the field Url record only "/calendar" and everything works.
If you use a subdomain of forum should be introduced "/subdomain / application
"

I just I did the test:
In the field Url record only "/calendar" and everything works.
If you use a subdomain of forum should be introduced "/subdomain / application
"

​Excellent, Adlago - thanks! I was taking the instruction "This is a full URL including http:// or https:// where appropriate" too literally, then!

One addition to your list: In  my case, "/calendar" didn't work because my test site is at "site.com/test-directory/something-else/" and so there was a 404 when it directed me to site.com/calendar. For other people in that position, the solution is to relativise the link by using a period: "./calendar" works fine for me, telling it to go to /calendar from the main installation directory. Now when I move the site to site.com, it will still work.

No, because that doesn't solve the problem that I stated before, namely that when the time comes to move it from its current location to its permanent one, I would have to edit these URLs. If I have to edit it from "/test-directory/something-else/calendar" to "/calendar" when I move the site, then I may just as well use the full URL anyway.

But writing it as "./calendar" is working fine and should therefore work whether the site is at its current location or is moved to its permanent one once testing is over.

This of course is your personal choice.
I personally use, and will use test install site only as the basis for the project that I think about. And for experiments.
When released version 4.0 in its normal and a support option, I will do fresh installation in the domain. This will be best because there are not errors updates betas and also there will be no own mistakes from multiples tests

Please see this

navig.thumb.png.d9938cf34b2c22b12d1392ad

​I knew I wasn't blind and was looking in the right spot! :D  Yeah, for some reason that permissions button is compeltely missing on my forums app.  Not sure why that is, but it just doesn't show there.  So I just simply reordered the app order to fix this problem, which works for me now but it does appear to be a bug on my particular installation which is a bummer.

The simply solution would to have a menu system like Wordpress...kind of surprise IP didn't include something like this in there.  Oh well...

​I knew I wasn't blind and was looking in the right spot! :D  Yeah, for some reason that permissions button is compeltely missing on my forums app.  Not sure why that is, but it just doesn't show there.  So I just simply reordered the app order to fix this problem, which works for me now but it does appear to be a bug on my particular installation which is a bummer.

The simply solution would to have a menu system like Wordpress...kind of surprise IP didn't include something like this in there.  Oh well...

​You don't see it? Even if you click on the arrow to get the menu? Could you submit a ticket with ACP +ftp login details to take a look at this?

But writing it as "./calendar" is working fine and should therefore work whether the site is at its current location or is moved to its permanent one once testing is over.

​Bah - no it doesn't after all. It's fine if I happen to be clicking the link from the main installation (so site.com//test-directory/something-else/) but if I try to get to it from any another page or app then it absorbs the current address and appends /calendar to that rather than thinking of the base ref :( Back to the drawing board or accepting that I'll have to edit the address when the site moves ...

Archived