Lower your copyright removal price

Jυra

Personally, I don't care about copyright removal.

Okay.

Sheesh... Can we get back to spamming "When is IPS4?" threads? It was less annoying.

This thread doesn't prevent you from posting in those "When is IPS4?" threads.

Copyright removal was for other people, too, not just only one reason ever and that's it.

For example my forum has been up for so long that it would have been a solid investment. Some sites not from corperations may want it to look professional or more clean from clutter.

Removal on other software like xF and vB is also far cheaper.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copyright removal was for other people, too, not just only one reason ever and that's it.

For example my forum has been up for so long that it would have been a solid investment. Some sites not from corperations may want it to look professional or more clean from clutter.

That's fine too. We've determined what price we feel copyright removal is worth, and you can decide whether you think the price is worth it for your particular situation. Enterprise aren't the only users of copyright removal, but they are the primary users and we therefore price it accordingly.

Some sites not from corperations may want it to look professional or more clean from clutter.

Clutter? The copyright is barely visible. It's tucked away very neatly in the bottom corner, it's not in an unreasonably large font.... come on.

If Invision don't want to sell copyright removal why not just pull the plug on it when releasing IPS 4? :unsure:

I wouldn't consider the copyright removal hike (nearly doubling) to be the "norm" -- again, unlike everything else we do this is not a product or service we are actively wanting to sell. We simply make the option available because some companies' legal departments require it and some larger communities wish to remove it.

If invision software is so good, remove the feature and the companies who want the software will convince their legal departments otherwise and the larger communities will put up with it. It seems strange to sell something you don't want to for fear that users will go elsewhere. Have some faith in the power of the software, not to mention the server stability :) I know of another site who spends more time offline than online...should have gone to Invision servers :)

I don't believe IPS doesn't want anyone to have access the copyright removal, they just don't want it to be a cheap and popular option for everyone. So they price it accordingly.

That's just the way it is. It's been clearly explained by multiple IPS staff members now.

IPS never said it doesn;t want to sell copyright removals. As a software company, it kind of doesn't make any sense not to offer it and it's easy to see their point. By selling copyright removal, they remove the 'frontpage advertising' aspect of their company. While it's understandable why they don't want everyone purchasing it, the reasons being given don't make much sense. For instance, if IPS is relying on that copyright footer/link as advertising for new customers, it would cause you to think they they don't get any new clients through just someone randomly finding their site through a seach engine or through some Google Adsense or Banner Exchange system.

I can tell you that I didn't know that IPS existed when I first started my site. Out of impulse, I stalled it through an automated self installed script provided by my webhost which incldued the freely distributed IPB 1.3(final) back when it was being offered through Fantastico. I didn't hear about IPS through any footer link or word-of-mouth. So, it's not a valid argument that IPS relies on that copyright footer in generating new licensed purchases from new customers.

I don't believe IPS doesn't want anyone to have access the copyright removal, they just don't want it to be a cheap and popular option for everyone. So they price it accordingly.

That's just the way it is. It's been clearly explained by multiple IPS staff members now.

Some staff have said it's what it's been valued at, yet Matt above said it was increased because they don't want to sell it:

I don't wish to exhume the stinking corpse of yesterday's debate, but we really don't want to sell more copyright removals. That was the motivation for increasing the cost.

My point was, don't sell it, and rely on the power and influence of the software to keep the users rather than selling a product they don't want to :)

We're happy to sell it at the right price of course :) Matt's point was just that we don't see lots of people buying copyright removal as a good thing necessarily.

We're going round in circles a bit here, so I'm going to close this topic - as always, please feel free to contact us at sales@invisionpower.com if you have any questions or concerns. We'll do our best to help :)

Archived