Lower your copyright removal price

Jυra

It's nowhere remotely near the old price. There was no warning or temporary discount. Just bang! And no special offers. I am not againt price increases but I hope massive leaping does not become a habit.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really see the point of copyright removal. Public side, it's only one link at the bottom of the page...why pay to get rid of one small link in the bottom right corner? :unsure:

Commercial forums may not want a link advertising the software they're using in the footer.

May not matter to most, but it does to some.

I had always assumed that people wanted to remove it so it was harder for hackers to find out boards they could try and exploit if a big loophole was found.

Presumably, it has a value to invisionpower, in that they hope people will see a site, like it, and click through the link to buy the product themselves?

I had always assumed that people wanted to remove it so it was harder for hackers to find out boards they could try and exploit if a big loophole was found.

There are probably countless other ways to identify if a forum is running IP.Board. I don't think stripping the copyright footer text would really do anything to help here, though that thought did cross my mind.

Presumably, it has a value to invisionpower, in that they hope people will see a site, like it, and click through the link to buy the product themselves?

Basically, yeah. It's partially targeted at people like you and me, that may see another forum running IP.Board, to entice our interest the software.

There are probably countless other ways to identify if a forum is running IP.Board. I don't think stripping the copyright footer text would really do anything to help here, though that thought did cross my mind.

Basically, yeah. It's partially targeted at people like you and me, that may see another forum running IP.Board, to entice our interest the software.

That's why they charge $500 I guess. The lowest package is $20 so one person purchasing copyright removal would give them the same money as 25 new users :)

Holy crap it's $500 now?

I thought it was still $300, wasn't that itself a price jump from not too long ago?

But yeah, it's up to IPS to put a value on their branding. They could not offer a copyright removal option at all.

I'd personally never pay $500 for it though. I'm guessing that price point is more targeted at companies and other corporations using the software, not for individuals (who likely don't care about it being there anyways) :unsure:

I think that Copyright Removal should be the cost of a six month license renewal of the IPS products that you currently have. :thumbsup:

Then what if you bought another IPS app after you already purchased copyright removal? :unsure:

I think that Copyright Removal should be the cost of a six month license renewal of the IPS products that you currently have. :thumbsup:

I pay $20 for the basic hosting package and don't buy any extra apps. $120 is a bit different to $500 so that wouldn't work for me. And when I say me, I mean them! :lol:

I pay $20 for the basic hosting package and don't buy any extra apps. $120 is a bit different to $500 so that wouldn't work for me. And when I say me, I mean them! :lol:

As far as I know, you can't purchase copyright removal if you're using one of IPS' hosting plans anyways.

I'm not 100% sure on that, I just feel like I've seen IPS post that you can't before. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know, you can't purchase copyright removal if you're using one of IPS' hosting plans anyways.

I'm not 100% sure on that, I just feel like I've seen IPS post that you can't before. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I went into my client centre and it allowed me to add copyright removal to the checkout. I'm hoping they wouldn't charge $500 for something you can't use on your plan? :o

Don't understand what you were saying. The only copyright is the IPS.com website link. Purchasing the copyright removal and then purchasing a new app addon in the future would not restore the copyright. lols The copyright isn't added to IPS CS addons. The copyright is only added on to the core IPB software, not the addons.

The way I understand you, if you paid for copyright removal per whatever your current licenseing fee is, the copyright removal is siply removed. But, from the way you posted, it sounds like if you purchased a new addon such as IP.Blog, then the copyright would restore itself. It wouldn't work that way. The IPS copyright removal is permanently removed, even if you buy addons after you purchase the copyright removal, no matter hoiw much you pay for the copyright removal. :tongue:

To answer the hosting question, yes you can purchase this on our hosting too.

On the price, it was raised about a year ago or so, it's not for everyone, however for some it's needed and the price isn't an issue. This is mostly in corporate environments with very large companies, think of it more as an enterprise option that is available to all.

To answer the hosting question, yes you can purchase this on our hosting too.

On the price, it was raised about a year ago or so, it's not for everyone, however for some it's needed and the price isn't an issue. This is mostly in corporate environments with very large companies, think of it more as an enterprise option that is available to all.

You're right Rhett. Unless you're a company who doesn't want the name of your host displayed, it has no purpose to an individuals site. Just $500 wasted in my opinion :)

Pah, if it's an option targeted at corporate entities, you could probably get away charging thousands just for that. Corporations will pay ludicrous amounts for the simplest of things. You should extort them more!

:tongue:

• Management

Thank you for the feedback. This has been covered in previous topics recently, but I'll reiterate: it's not intended to be affordable or appealing to the masses. Our copyright statement / branding is considered part of the license. There's a certain value assigned to taking that component out of the license and this is what we've currently determined that value to be.

I wouldn't consider the copyright removal hike (nearly doubling) to be the "norm" -- again, unlike everything else we do this is not a product or service we are actively wanting to sell. We simply make the option available because some companies' legal departments require it and some larger communities wish to remove it.

Thank you for the feedback. This has been covered in previous topics recently, but I'll reiterate: it's not intended to be affordable or appealing to the masses. Our copyright statement / branding is considered part of the license. There's a certain value assigned to taking that component out of the license and this is what we've currently determined that value to be.

I wouldn't consider the copyright removal hike (nearly doubling) to be the "norm" -- again, unlike everything else we do this is not a product or service we are actively wanting to sell. We simply make the option available because some companies' legal departments require it and some larger communities wish to remove it.

I should consider this then, with my community being large.

*cough*Bullfaeces*cough*

Archived