Clear bug not accepted as a bug...

broni

This is really driving me crazy...

It's about this bug report: http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/when-quoting-text-in-the-rte-cursor-remains-inside-the-created-quote-box-r41257

All I hear it's by design.

I'm sorry but are you kidding me?

I don't get it.

Firstly it wasn't like that in previous IPB versions until I believe 3.4.x

Secondly it doesn't make sense whatsoever.

I quote a sentence from someone in order to comment on it.

Why would I want to keep typing INSIDE quote box?

The cursor should be waiting for me right BELOW quote box.

Tell me I'm not going insane.

I tend to agree for most part. when I paste then click quote the cursor moves down one INSIDE the box anyways.

drop it outside.

but this is also a personal preference issue I guess. so not sure its really a bug.

This is really driving me crazy...

It's about this bug report: http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/when-quoting-text-in-the-rte-cursor-remains-inside-the-created-quote-box-r41257

All I hear it's by design.

I'm sorry but are you kidding me?

I don't get it.

Firstly it wasn't like that in previous IPB versions until I believe 3.4.x

Secondly it doesn't make sense whatsoever.

Tell me I'm not going insane.

I have had this experience as well But funny, strange, weird or what ever you wish to call it if I delete the original quote then re-add it The cursor falls under the quote box where it belongs.

Bug or design it needs some attention.

So Broni no - you are not going insane just partially... LOL!!!

this is also a personal preference issue

What do you mean?

Why would I comment on some quoted text INSIDE quote box?

Like I just did.

I quoted you and then I have to move cursor manually underneath quote box.

Hmmm -

I agree and will expand. To comment inside the quote box would mean adding to the quote which makes absolutely no sense.

Which I believe Broni is referring to.

If you are going to comment on a quote you want to be above or below the quote box... This tells the reader it is a comment not an extension to.

So by design would or should be a false statement.

To extend the quote as explained would be no different than saying "this is what the quote read" which again would be a false statement.

When in reality the quote Read "this is a quote"

To comment inside the quote box would mean adding to the quote which makes absolutely no sense.

Which I believe Broni is referring to.

Thank you. I was almost ready to make an appointment with my psychiatrist...lol

What do you mean?

Why would I comment on some quoted text INSIDE quote box?

Like I just did.

I quoted you and then I have to move cursor manually underneath quote box.

for whatever reason there are some who like it the way it is.

I am not one of them.

a poor design or implementation is not necessarily a bug is what I mean.

• Management

To help clarify:

A bug is when something happens that isn't supposed to happen by design.

In this case our developers are saying that the behavior you're seeing is by design. Now what you are saying is that in your opinion it shouldn't do that and that's fine but a bug an opinion does not make :)

Now I actually agree with you and we'll probably change this behavior but it still doesn't make this a bug: it makes it a feature suggestion :)

Now I actually agree with you and we'll probably change this behavior but it still doesn't make this a bug: it makes it a feature suggestion :smile:

Call it what you will but it is still an annoyance for most, not to mention a way for somebody to change the meaning of what is actually quoted.

Example:

Now I actually agree with you but it still doesn't make this a bug: it makes it a feature suggestion :frantics:

BTW which has bug written all over it :tongue:

In this case our developers are saying that the behavior you're seeing is by design

If it doesn't makes sense maybe that person should be developing something else.

I'm sorry if it sounded rude but this BUG (it is to me) is really annoying.

It never ever happened to me that I wanted to comment on some quoted text INSIDE the quote box.

As it was stated above my comment would be a part of quoted text.

I do NOT want to quote myself. I want to comment on SOMEONE ELSE post.

We're talking about the where the cursor ends up after hitting the quote button. Really this is quite a minor detail in the scheme of things, wouldn't you agree? :unsure:

@Woodsman - regardless of where your cursor ends up by default you've always been able to edit someone's text that you are quoting. The issue discussed here doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you can edit someone's text in a quote box.

Really this is quite a minor detail in the scheme of things, wouldn't you agree?

I can't. I quote a lot like right now and it's very annoying.

On the other hand it's not about about something being minor or major.

I simply like things being right.

All I'm asking is to correct an obvious flaw.

I don't think it's something extraordinary.

A bug is when something does not work as intended. On the other hand, if something works as intended, it can't be a bug, can it?

Both the above talk about the developer's intention. The user can judge that, but technically it can't be perceived as a bug.

And anyway, how I wish all our problems summed up to the where the cursor stands when we quote something... :P

add a section to tracker called dumb implementations that aggravate the **** out of us :smile:

is there a file edit we can just do ourselves to fix this because it really is irritating.

or maybe a dev knows how to create a hook that would allow those who like it as is stay that way while us who don't like it could choose option to move cursor.

You not only have to click out of it you have to hit backspace to remove that line.

Now I actually agree with you and we'll probably change this behavior but it still doesn't make this a bug: it makes it a feature suggestion :smile:

Well there you go, no matter what you call it, they're probably going to change it. Semantics.

Thank you. I was almost ready to make an appointment with my psychiatrist...lol

Keep the appointment Broni :drool: . I use the quote box to sometimes summarize another person's contextual meaning without quoting verbatim. For that reason I like being inside the quote box to add a [ .. ] that explains the meaning of the persnonalized quote/summary.

Archived