Clear bug not accepted as a bug...

broni

We should probably remove "Bug tracker" as well.

As it has been explained several times, you made a feature request of how to improve the quote function. You did not describe a bug, because the behavior you are describing was set up this way and therefore is working as intended by the developers. The Bug Tracker is not a place for users to put in their opinion on how certain functions could work differently.

And to add fresh fuel to a quarrel:

If users on my site would complain about that behavior I would tell them that they are using the quote function wrong.

If one is quoting other posts in the current thread one should use the quote button within the respective post. This creates a correct quote with the name of author and a link to the original post.

The quote button in the Editor works like all the other BB codes to style content – like making something bold. It just wraps the content by the respective BB code. It is not specifically designed to paste in quotes and then reply to them. For example, I might hit the quote button and then type in a Shakespeare quote. Or I paste the quote and then add the author’s name in brackets. In those cases I specifically don't want the cursor to be moved out of the quote area.

If one is quoting other posts in a thread one should use the quote button within the respective post. This creates a correct quote with the name of author and a link to the original post.

The quote button in the Editor works like all the other BB codes to style content – like making something bold. It just wraps the content by the respective BB code. It is not specifically designed to paste in quotes and then reply to them. For example, I might hit the quote button and then type in a Shakespeare quote. In that case I specifically don't want the cursor to be moved out of the quote area.

and let's just say I would like to quote your post but I really really really do not need to include your introduction so I would use the back space to perhaps delete some of the initial definitions.

So there is even more fuel to be consumed in whatever manner is deemed fit to reinforce the need for the cursor to comfortably rest inside the quote area.

Edit: Nevermind.

You should use quote button from the respective posts, not manually paste quotes in. Using the quote button is the only (sane) proper way to include the posters name, the post date, and a link back to the post your quoting within the quote box. All of these are important bits of information when quoting another user.

you made a feature request of how to improve the quote function

Incorrect. I don't want to IMPROVE anything. I want to make quote function right. Like it was from the very early IPB version until 3.4.x and like all normal people use quote. They quote someone and they post their comment to the quote UNDERNEATH quote box not INSIDE it. It's not even logical.

because the behavior you are describing was set up this way and therefore is working as intended by the developers

They're clearly wrong. That's all I can say.

If one is quoting other posts in the current thread one should use the quote button

within

the respective post.

I rarely do this for a reason you can see in this very reply. I wnated to comment on tow different sentences from your reply and post two separate comments. BTW, what would be "quote" button function in your opinion if not what I just mentioned?

The quote button in the Editor works like all the other BB codes to style content – like making something bold. It just wraps the content by the respective BB code. It is not specifically designed to

paste in quotes

and then reply to them.

That's exactly what it's suppose to be for.

For example, I might hit the quote button and then

type in

a Shakespeare quote.

...and then you keep typing INSIDE that quote box adding your thoughts to Shakespeare's right? I guess since the cursor stays inside the box. Someone may even think that Shakespeare said that.

but I really really really do not need to include your introduction so I would use the back space to perhaps delete some of the initial definitions.

Isn't it more work than just copy only what you want and wrap it in "quote"?

You should use quote button from the respective posts, not manually paste quotes in. Using the quote button is the only (sane) proper way to include the posters name, the post date, and a link back to the post your quoting within the quote box. All of these are important bits of information when quoting another user.

Says who?

broni,

It's not a bug, simple as that.

IPS has said they may re-consider the placement of the cursor.

But this is NOT a bug.

And if you still disagree, go learn about software development.

UNDERNEATH quote box ... It's not even logical.

Yes, it is logical. I cut up quotes sometimes in order to show the parts are am replying to instead of a whole quote. This means I'll quote a part, add some dots and paste in more text in the quote box. Just like I did for this quote.

Says who?

I normally always get notifications whenever someone quotes me on here, but I wonder why I didn't get a notification from you?

quotenotif.png

Ah, right. Because you're not using the quoting system properly.

And you know, I'd really like to know who made all those posts you quoted above, because I have no clue who you're responding to anywhere! I can't see that either, because again, you're not using the quoting system properly.

Why does it make more sense to you to go through the hassle of copying an entire post manually and pasting it into a manually generated quotebox compared to just hitting the quote/muliquote buttons and being over with it?

This means I'll quote a part, add some dots and paste in more text in the quote box. Just like I did for this quote.

No you didn't because you replied UNDERNEATH quote box which means you have MOVE the cursor there. I don't need much "software development" study to see that.

You just contradicted yourself so I think we're done :)

because again, you're not using the quoting system properly.

Aha...I'm sorry.

The quote button NEVER worked like this in any IPB version before 3.4.x.

What's more please show me ONE non-IPB 3.4.x board where the quote button works like here.

If you can I'll buy you a drink and I'll publicly admit "I'm using quoting system incorrectly".

Until then I have no more comments.

No you didn't because you replied UNDERNEATH quote box which means you have MOVE the cursor there. I don't need much "software development" study to see that.

facedesk.jpg

Please look at my reply again, hopefully you'll see "..." in my quote.

And I said: If you still think this is a bug, you need to learn more about software development. Opinion != Bug.

if quoting from some other site I paste, hightlight, click quote button.

and cursor stays inside.

the whole incorrect use of quote system argument is not accurate. it would only apply to quoting from the thread you are in.

@ Cyrem

You're not reading my replies carefully are you?

I said to post your comment on quoted text you had to MOVE the cursor MANUALLY from INSIDE the quote box to UNDERNEATH quote box, which is the whole issue we've been discussing here.

If you don't understand that I can't help you.

It is accurate. You're not using the quoting system properly. You're just hacking in a quote using bbcode, and that's a bad habit to have for the two major reasons I listed above. There are legitimate reasons to use the quote box manually, using it to quote a post in a topic is not one. It's a poor and annoying habit.

Feel free to keep up your delusional senseless rambling though :smile:

This is not a bug.

I said to post your comment on quoted text you had to MOVE the cursor MANUALLY from INSIDE the quote box to UNDERNEATH quote box, which is the whole issue we've been discussing here.

You're missing the point of what I said. My point is some people LIKE to edit or extend the quote itself BEFORE replying to that quote. Having the cursor within the box makes this one click easier.

What are essentially saying, is that, because it doesn't function the way you think it should function, it is a bug. This is not the definition of a bug, this is an opinion of functionality.

if quoting from some other site I paste, hightlight, click quote button.
and cursor stays inside.

Also, hitting [Enter] twice moves the cursor out of the box for you to reply to it.

The quote button NEVER worked like this in any IPB version before 3.4.x.

What's more please show me ONE non-IPB 3.4.x board where the quote button works like here.

If you can I'll buy you a drink and I'll publicly admit "I'm using quoting system incorrectly".

Until then I have no more comments.

1. The quote button NEVER worked like this in any IPB version before 3.4.x.0
2. What's more please show me ONE non-IPB 3.4.x board where the quote button works like here.

1. Implying functionality changes can't be made.
2. Implying all forum software should work the same.

This topic finished when IPS said it was intended and they would consider changing it back in the future.

It is accurate. You're not using the quoting system properly. You're just hacking in a quote using bbcode, and that's a bad habit to have for the two major reasons I listed above. There are legitimate reasons to use the quote box manually, using it to quote a post in a topic is not one. It's a poor and annoying habit.

was this directed to me?

because my example specifically dealt with not quoting a post from a topic.

No, I mean how broni is manually copying and pasting posts from this thread into a manually generated quoteboxes here.

There are definitely legitimate uses for using raw quoteboxes, but there's also nothing wrong with the way the quoteboxes currently function.

This thread is claiming something is a bug because the original poster doesn't like the way quote boxes currently function and for some reason refuses to ever use quote buttons on actual posts which would mitigate needing to go through the "hassle" of pressing the enter key twice to escape from inside a quotebox.

There are definitely legitimate uses for using raw quoteboxes, but there's also nothing wrong with the way the quoteboxes currently function.

This thread is claiming something is a bug because the original poster doesn't like the way quote boxes currently function and for some reason refuses to ever use quote buttons on actual posts which would mitigate needing to go through the "hassle" of pressing the enter key twice to escape from inside a quotebox.

perfectly stated.

Archived