So, how does IPS deal with the tracker?

sychn

I agree guys. Reporting bugs is not worth my time if I can't have a fun, and easy time doing it. If there's no thrill in filling out the same exact form I fill out when I make an article then I don't wish to be a part of such an obviously flawed system. I WANT TO FEEL THE JOY OF SUBMITTING BUGS! MAKE ME HAPPY IPS!!

@Matt - This is sarcasm. You're supposed to laugh.

One thing to note that you guys might be overlooking is that sometimes bugs are found in tickets and they get fixed without ever making it to the tracker. So if aesthetics of submitting bug reports is an issue for you then just submit a ticket. That's a pretty sexy layout.

I don't believe anyone really mentioned any issues with submission beyond the global version field issue.... the listing is the primary issue.

Point in fact, there have been several times I have missed a reply being made to a bug I have submitted, with a big-old Cannot Reproduce when the bug is staring me in the face mocking that reply. This leads to a delay in that bug being fixed, and requiring one follow, or notifications even be the primary for this is admitting that this is not handled intuitively in the web interface itself.

There is no way to get a listing of bugs fixed in x version.

There is no easy way to get to my submissions.

Some of these are easily fixed(put this link in the listing already please(using the current member id), or a comments feed block even)?

Some are not.

And while your reply is meant as a joke, it speaks volumes, nobody is asking that it should be fun or joyous(why should it be lol, fixing them never is ;) ) to submit/track the progress of a bug, but when the volume of testers and reporters is literally a factor in bugs found and fixed, the more user-friendly it is, the better the quality of the product.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres a fixed in x version link in the release announcements...

Wrong. That is not a link to bugs fixed in that version. That is a link to bugs fixed reported in the previous version. There is a monumental difference, even now, said 'fixed-in' list for gallery 5.0.3 holds a bug fixed in 5.0.4, yet to be released, simply by nature of being reported in 5.0.2.

One thing to note that you guys might be overlooking is that sometimes bugs are found in tickets and they get fixed without ever making it to the tracker. So if aesthetics of submitting bug reports is an issue for you then just submit a ticket.

Can you show us some? I know they exists, but for each bug reported on a issue detected on a ticket, there are 50 reported directly on tracker by members. I mean, NOT that end user who runs a board about birds ou something. The vast majority of bug reports are created by the same users: developers and advanced users... the same who use it "day in and day out".

• Management

I have to say, this is one of the strangest topics in recent memory. I think we have larger issues to address if you're spending so much time hanging out in our tracker that we need to develop it into a mega bug-fixing hotel complete with room service, concierge and virtual limo transportation back to the community. :lol:

I'm sure we will consider some of the actionable items proposed in this topic, but on the whole, the tracker achieves its objective: you report bugs; we fix them. :)

Personally, I only had a few concerns with it when we 'moved' to the IP.C based tracker. One was addressed in the last IPC update (or a custom hook, I forget which, it was not a big problem anyway) and I see the others have already been mentioned as being improved in future releases.

The other things I had in mind did not really matter that much, such as showing the last replier on the main index view rather than the reporter (article) starter as they are more a cosmetic concern than anything else. :smile:

I do miss the 'last five' block though although having said that I just follow each new report so its a moot point, for myself as long as I'm aware if any report I've posted has had a reply then that's fine.

one thing I LIKE about the new system is if I catch it in time I can edit a reply I've made, so if I made an error I can fix it.

the basics are there.

the polish (aesthetics) is needed.

not for a pleasing user experience but for an easier to use experience for the end user, the people who populate the majority of the reports.

• Management

Or NAB them and then we go "..uh, wait. What?"

I can't be the only one that feels this way. >_>;

When we mark something not a bug it's for one of these reasons:

1. It's not a bug but more of a feedback/suggestion thing
  2. It's a support issue
  3. The bug report confused us/we misunderstood/etc.

For the case of #3 you should make a comment on the report to clarify if you really think it's a bug.

but on the whole, the tracker achieves its objective: you report bugs; we fix them. :smile:

Uhm, what about the other objective? Our users report bugs to us, so we can report those to you?

There is quite a lot of difference between only receiving bug reports webmasters experience or indirectly from many millions of end users. You can be sure that once I release my 150.000 users on IPS, they will report any buy they encounter, if there is a good bug tracker for them to enter their reports into. I have reported countless bugs to vbulletin.

The better we can receive bug reports, the better we can accurately report bugs to you.

If you provide a well set up tracker to us, then that will greatly increase:

• the number bug reports
  • more detailed bug reports (so you can reproduce them)
  • more accurate bug reports, so reports are not a waste of your time.

If you provide a well set up tracker to us, then that will greatly increase:

• the number bug reports
  • more detailed bug reports (so you can reproduce them)
  • more accurate bug reports, so reports are not a waste of your time.

I cannot see how how any changes outlined in this topic so far will affect any of those three points. For instance, showing the number of replies a bug report has in the listing (which could certainly be done, but is useless information to us when viewing a list of open bugs) will not change how accurate the information is that a user submits, or how detailed their report is.

I'm sure we will consider some of the actionable items proposed in this topic, but on the whole, the tracker achieves its objective: you report bugs; we fix them. :smile:

Well, here is some of my suggestions. I hope we can agree on some of this.

• Sort Bug Tracker in VNC by default on Last Comment / Updated
  • When clicking View New Content in Tracker, take us by default to "Bug Tracker Comments"
  • In "Bug Tracker Comments" in VNC, either give a truncated version of the comments (instead of just title) or group them on title
  • Include the status in VNC (Cannot reproduce, Fixed etc.)
  • Include the unread-marker in VNC
  • Fix so we can click the unread icon in the current category view and VNC

• Management

When we mark something not a bug it's for one of these reasons:

1. It's not a bug but more of a feedback/suggestion thing
  2. It's a support issue
  3. The bug report confused us/we misunderstood/etc.

For the case of #3 you should make a comment on the report to clarify if you really think it's a bug.

Absolutely, and I recall a few bugs posted recently that I've pulled out the 'Not a bug' list and subsequently fixed when I've had clarification. It's really not personal.

• Management

Well, here is some of my suggestions. I hope we can agree on some of this.

• Sort Bug Tracker in VNC by default on Last Comment / Updated
  • When clicking View New Content in Tracker, take us by default to "Bug Tracker Comments"
  • In "Bug Tracker Comments" in VNC, either give a truncated version of the comments (instead of just title) or group them on title
  • Include the status in VNC (Cannot reproduce, Fixed etc.)
  • Include the unread-marker in VNC
  • Fix so we can click the unread icon in the current category view and VNC

I think I am understanding that many of you put a lot of weight into comments whereas we don't put any weight into that. The only thing we do when there is a new comment is re-read the bug report to see if there's any new information. Beyond that we don't care about most commented, recent comments, etc.

I think I am understanding that many of you put a lot of weight into comments whereas we don't put any weight into that. The only thing we do when there is a new comment is re-read the bug report to see if there's any new information. Beyond that we don't care about most commented, recent comments, etc.

I would find it easier to keep updated on bugs if these changes were implemented. I care about bugs being fixed, and keeping updated on what bugs and fixes are out there. It's not because I'm thinking "OH MY GOD, he replied, THIS IS AWESOME!" every time Matt replies for example. I want to read all replies. I don't care much whether they are from a 1 post user or Marcher either, I would read them either way.

I just want to get updated more easily.

I would find it easier to keep updated on bugs if these changes were implemented. I care about bugs being fixed, and keeping updated on what bugs and fixes are out there. It's not because I'm thinking "OH MY GOD, he replied, THIS IS AWESOME!" every time Matt replies for example. I want to read all replies. I don't care much whether they are from a 1 post user or Marcher either, I would read them either way.

I just want to get updated more easily.

What does getting updated have to do with reading all the replies? I read all the replies too. I go in the tracker and click on every single issue and read it. Don't need notifications for that. It makes no difference whether or not you get a notification. In the end you'll go in and read every thing when you have the time to do so.

What does getting updated have to do with reading all the replies? I read all the replies too. I go in the tracker and click on every single issue and read it. Don't need notifications for that. It makes no difference whether or not you get a notification. In the end you'll go in and read every thing when you have the time to do so.

I'm used to clicking the unread-icon and using VNC on these forums. It just doesn't work with this Tracker.

I have completely stopped keeping up with bugs in other relevant apps as a result.

Here's a feature request...

For bug reports that list a 'fix'... I'd like to see something similar to the 'Best Answer' feature that calls out the fix for a bug, if listed...

I know it's not feasible to list fixes for all bugs, but for those that are simple and easy to fix it would be nice to call attention to the solution.

Archived