Quick navigation..

marklcfc

.. or not so quick navigation, is this here to stay? It's in a less noticeable place than the old forum jump was, which was also much quicker to use to jump from one forum to the other. There still isn't a forum home link included on the navigation included which I use literally every time I get to the bottom of a thread.

I know there is a breadcrumb thingy included at the footer and I know quick navigation looks nicer, but it doesn't work as well and I'm sure most forum users would prefer the dropdown menu.

• 1 month later...

I'm shocked that it's been removed from the footer as well now in beta2. Do you not realise how many people use the forum jump after reading a thread?

I can't see many users using quick navigation where you've put it now.

3.2 makes me :sad:

I'm shocked that it's been removed from the footer as well now in beta2. Do you not realise how many people use the forum jump after reading a thread?

I can't see many users using quick navigation where you've put it now.

3.2 makes me :sad:

If it's not added back to the footer by release time, it would most likely be a 2 second skin edit to add it there yourself if you feel it's necessary.

If it's not added back to the footer by release time, it would most likely be a 2 second skin edit to add it there yourself if you feel it's necessary.

It may only be a quick edit if it doesn't make it back, but the question still remains why would such a useful feature for the end user be removed or be considered for removal? :logik:

It may only be a quick edit if it doesn't make it back, but the question still remains why would such a useful feature for the end user be removed or be considered for removal? :logik:

It wasn't removed - it was moved to the top of the page to give it more attention. :) That's not to say we're not listening to and reading this topic, but just wanted to clarify that it wasn't removed. Quite the contrary, we were responding to feedback that it would be more useful at the top of the page.

I really miss Forum Jump. Even if Quick Navigation is moved back towards the bottom of the page, I find it more awkward to use (with a laptop trackpad at least) than Forum Jump.

My current 3.1.x experience. I read a topic in the IP.Board forum. I know there's nothing else in that forum that I want to read, so with the Forum Jump already visible in my reading pane (and my cursor probably already in the vicinity if I've been using the scroll bar to move down the page) I click on the Forum Jump arrow, it appears instantly, I scroll up or down the forum list, hover anywhere over the forum I want to jump to, and click and I jump straight to it.

The 3.2 experience (even assuming Quick Nav is moved to a similar location). I click on the Quick Nav, wait for the Quick Nav to appear, track my cursor over to the scroll bar, scroll to a forum I want to jump to, then have to track over again to the forum title before I can click on it because the whole row doesn't act as a link.

On the face of it, there's not a vast difference between the 2 experiences, but for someone who uses Forum Jump a lot currently, that rapidly adds up to a lot of extra dragging your cursor around the screen.

It wasn't removed - it was moved to the top of the page to give it more attention. :smile: That's not to say we're not listening to and reading this topic, but just wanted to clarify that it wasn't removed. Quite the contrary, we were responding to feedback that it would be more useful at the top of the page.

:laugh: Incredible, in what way is it more useful up there? People use the forum jump after getting to the bottom of a topic, now theres no such thing available. Who wants quick navigation next to view new content? If ever a facepalm emoticon was required its here. What a mess, good luck with it though.

:laugh: Incredible, in what way is it more useful up there? People use the forum jump after getting to the bottom of a topic, now theres no such thing available. Who wants quick navigation next to view new content? If ever a facepalm emoticon was required its here. What a mess, good luck with it though.

I've used it more since it's been up top - I want it up next to view new content.

I know it may seem like we just move stuff around willy nilly sometimes, but that's definitely not the case. Just in this topic you can see some people wanted it up top (not necessarily to the exclusion of having it at the bottom). Here are some other topics I found mentioning having it at top as well

And of course, there were posts about it on the demo site. We are considering duplicating it to the bottom again, since some obviously want it available there as well, but I just wanted to reiterate that we didn't just slap it up top because we thought it would be prettier or something. ;)

I know it may seem like we just move stuff around willy nilly sometimes, but that's definitely not the case. Just in this topic you can see some people wanted it up top (not necessarily to the exclusion of having it at the bottom). Here are some other topics I found mentioning having it at top as well

http://community.inv...ion-to-the-top/
http://community.inv...tension-in-apps

And of course, there were posts about it on the demo site. We are considering duplicating it to the bottom again, since some obviously want it available there as well, but I just wanted to reiterate that we didn't just slap it up top because we thought it would be prettier or something. :wink:

No point, it's useless top and bottom. The old forum jump = ease of use = not number 1 priority now. Past caring anyway, has to be said incase theres any hope for a better version in the futre though.

• 2 weeks later...

How about having it so once you have scrolled out of view of the quick navigation pin at the top, one appears on the side of the forum and stays there as you scroll down the page, enabling you to get to is quickly at any point on the page...?

Most of the new features in IP.Board 3.2.0 are not used in the apps yet. The apps will receive major updates in the future that will make use of these new features in IP.Board.

Alright then, if i may make a suggestion.
Tying the quick-nav links for IPC to page/db/category permissions/settings being an obvious bit, having an option at the page config to "hide from quick-nav" is a must.
IPC PHP processing pages need to have the ability to have view all permissions, but not be listed in this.

Archived